Fish thieves sentenced

C

Chris Bishop

Two migrant workers caught netting fish from a river and barbecuing them on the bank in the close season have been ordered to forfeit boats and equipment worth thousands of pounds by a court today.

linky

<a href='http://Two%20migrant%20workers%20caught%20netting%20fish%20and%20barbecuing%20them%20on%20the%20bank%20have%20been%20ordered%20to%20forfeit%20boats%20and%20equipment%20worth%20thousands%20of%20pounds%20in%20a%20landmark%20court%20ruling.' target='_blank'>
</a>

Reaction score
One fishery I use now has signs (private fishery etc) in English and 3 Eastern European languages.

So now they can't plead ignorance!

Peter

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
Bring back the old days. What would've happend if they were caught poaching the nations stock a couple of centuries ago? A good puplic floggingwould've been sufficient.

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Don't think that they do not understand out laws, they use their "foreigness" as an excuse but most know full well the use of English!

Ever been to Poland and not found someone who speaks English? It is the second language of most Europeans!

About time these people were taught a lesson, but I don't know about a flogging!

Don

Wiktor z Polski/Dr. Wodka

Reaction score
Thats it, Get Rid Of Them All /forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif The poachers I mean, but what you propose with the born and bread poachers/forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/sarcastic_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif ...........I know, lynch them in the middle of the town they leave in or even better burnt them on fire as they done some centres ago./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Heavy fines, the word will spread quicker then the hurricane,some of the communities are very close in, fellow anglers.

Pozdrawiam

Wiktor Z Polski

B

Bill Cox

We have several poles in our club and they are all without question a bunch of good eggs. I am in the process of getting signs weatherproofed in several different languages.(ask your local EA thay will supply them to you free)A worrying development in the last year is on at least two occaisions bailiffs have found set long lines tied to the banks at one of our venues. Yet another thing the overworked bailiffs have to check for./forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
I'm glad these thieves have been taken to task, but I cant help but wonder if the PAC (Of which I'm a member.) will pursue the illegal use and movement of livebait with as much enthusiasm. I won't be holding my breath.

There's an extremely unhealthy attitude towards foreign nationals amongst the angling community just now, in particular amongst the piking community. I don't doubt much of it is justified, but I'm equally as sure that the nasty face of xenophobia has much to do with it too.

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
I think we need to educate, if it is normal to take fish for the pot at home people will continue to do so were ever they live.

This is were we need people like Wiktor to pass on that it is not OK to take fish here in the UK, once the rules are none and understood then it needs to be backed up with very heavy fines.

No more free meals.

Reaction score
I love you Chris and Jeff!

This is the most sensible comments Ive heard about OUR problem with fish taking.

Here is some of mine thoughts that want to share with you:

1.Some of the frustrations with either foreign or local people (which have not that much publicity as with foreign for obvious reasons) taking fish is well understandable by most anglers.

2.Educations is for people that whant to do it,rest of them will be ignorant probably for long time and will be difficult to wake them up.

3.Spot fines in my opinion is the way to do it, some communities are very closed, news travel very fast and a lot of them are here for the money so they will not risk to get the fines in the hurry.

4 I AM VERY VERY FED UP WITH PEOPLE WHO AFTER RECOGNISING MY EASTERN ACSENT are very obusive and generaly not friendly.There is often this xenophobic attitude behind this.I can take a joke but sometimes its beyond fun and in some cases i was closed to be vilent to defent my self on the water, so perhaps we need to educate some of the native anglers too, if that's possible at all.

5.I'm here for good and don't want to go fishing where there is no fish left in the water either.I`m starting fishing club( see the link on fm events http://www.fishingmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/35686/V/9/SP/ )in my small town and this is my way to go somewhere with the problem.Its only small town and no water yet but some planes in mind.The club is open for everybody and over the time want to get polish people involved with it.For now I need some support and will appreciate any help from you fellows.

6.If you got any idea how we can tackle problem of taking fish out of the waters and If there is anything I could do to help, please let me know.I`m very passionate about fishing. More of us are in, more we can do . /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

B

Bill Cox

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Bill Cox wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>We have several poles in our club and they are all without question a bunch of good eggs. I am in the process of getting signs weatherproofed in several different languages.(ask your local EA thay will supply them to you free)A worrying development in the last year is on at least two occaisions bailiffs have found set long lines tied to the banks at one of our venues. Yet another thing the overworked bailiffs have to check for./forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif</blockquote>

Oi wiktor, did i not say the poles in our club our good eggs?? I find it funny that an eastern europian could call the Britsih zenaphobic, we are probably the most open race in the world.

don't judge us all by a few individules you run into on the bank

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Chris Hammond ( SAA, RSPB ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

There's an extremely unhealthy attitude towards foreign nationals amongst the angling community just now, in particular amongst the piking community. I don't doubt much of it is justified, but I'm equally as sure that the nasty face of xenophobia has much to do with it too.</blockquote>

I agree with Chris and yes it is true what you are saying that Brits are among the most tolerate nations but not all of the people, and with the angling it Sims to have more bad % then people I meet in different circumstances.Dont ask me why.You get the racist everywhere in Poland and Britain and America too.I must also say that I meet alot of very very friendly people that are very helpfull and just as me whant to fish and exchange experiences, it is definitely majority good open and friendly ones then the opposite but we must not forget about the mix.

I also dont want to be judged by few individuals but its happenig to me quite a bit and I dont like it.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Wiktor,

As you rightly say, there are racist's everywhere. There are many from the EU working in this Country, most are here just for the money, i know as i have worked with them.

Two of them go fishing, both want to stay here for good, like yourself, and both stick to the rules when fishing. They tell me of friends who take pike, and silver fish for the pot, they tell them its wrong, but as they say, why should we be worried we are not staying here. And that is the problem, it's those who are not staying.

It's not just Polish.

On the spot fines is a good idea, but dont think that will happen. As the two lads say at work, give them a big fine, next time send them home, these people give us all a bad name. We all know thats not fair.

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
You seem to have a sound philosophy Wiktor. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Other matters aside I personally feel that the idea that taking coarse fish for the table should be banned outrightis arguably the most short sighted and counter productive suggestion currently doing the rounds in angling. It would without any shred of a doubt herald the beggining of the end for catch-and-release angling.

The day that the legaleating of coarse fish is banned in this country will be the day I stop buying a rod license and sell my tackle.

ANDY SKI

Reaction score
The problem is they were fined£60 because they were caught fishing using illegal equipment during closed season if they were grilling those fish caught using rod & line in July probably nothing would’ve happened.

B

Bill Cox

Chris can you explain your reasoning please, why is it short sighted and why would it spell the end of catch and release in this country??