Natural food baits

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
What are some good natural baits I can try, ones that will stay on a hair-rig or be okay on a banded hair-rig ?

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Don't they sell grasshoppers or crickets in reptile shops ? What do you do, use a band ? or straight on the hook ?

slime monster

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ian Cloke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Grasshoppers or worms are always worth a try</blockquote>

tried the hopper dismal failure when i took the lid off they all f###ed off

and the banded worm is very tricky /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

NIGE K

Reaction score
there are plenty you can try from a supermarket but they arnt natural

KAR

Reaction score
Mussels are a good bait for Carp. You can get about 100 Crickets for 2 or 3 quid from a pet shop that sells anything with 8 legs or a long tongue but like slime said as soon as you open the lid they all bugger off.

NIGE K

Reaction score
how are you doing kane where have you been fishing lately and have you caught owt

KAR

Reaction score
Hi, Nige. I've found a great new spot. Cheapside, theres 2 ponds and I always fish the smaller one, there are Carp up to 14lb in there but I usually catch em up to 2 or 3lb. I catch at least 15 Carp a day and I've had 3 Golden Tench in 1 day along with 2 Koi!

NIGE K

Reaction score
well donei love golden tench is that the pondnear the go kart track.

KAR

Reaction score
Yeah, its right next to it. If you just go past the Chequered Flag then its the next turn in.

NIGE K

Reaction score
i might try it one day im fishing east halton at the moment been twice only had 5 small perch but its a big water and quite a challenge.

KAR

Reaction score
I'll have to go have a look around, see what I can find. Apparently theres some barbel up to around 7lb in Cheapside but I don't think many have caught them.

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Can't you just make the container airtight ? Shouldn't take long !!! They are going to be skewered on a hook then drowneded anyway

Dom B

Reaction score
have you trieda strowberry or raisons on hair rig

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
I might give apple a try as there is an apple tree on one of the banks, it's branches hang over the water and the apples drop off into the lake. I was wondering more about meaty stuff (mussels sounds like a good un) coz takes on boilies were few and far between last year from theend of September onwards.

NIGE K

Reaction score
you can punch pieces of apple or potatoout andfish them i have seen bob nudd doing a couple of articles onit, he then stained them with a bit of coffee to make them resemble pellets.you can buy a seafood pack from most supermarkets with squid and mussels and other things in it they are all good for bait.also luncheon meat, pepperami,meatballs,catmeat,sweetcorn,chick peas,well preparedmaize,maggots, worms and if they are allowed on the water nuts are an excellent bait but they must be prepared wellthe list goes on and on but dont try them all at once the trick is to get the fish feeding on what you are introducing so pick a couple and try them for a few sessions if one starts to produce base your main line of attack on that but keep experimenting you may find the bait that will take the lake apart this winter but you may also find that they just dont eat much of anythingin winter on your lake.

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>NIGE K wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

i might try it one day im fishing east halton at the moment been twice only had 5 small perch but its a big water and quite a challenge.</blockquote>

you're a brave man nige, it's a very hard water.

there is some lovely bream in there, and the perch go big, if you can find them. not that i ever have much joy with them. what tactics you been using, as the people i know who do alright there all maggot feeder to the middle, but this is the kind of fishing i'm crap at, lol. some big eels lurking as night comes on as well.

NIGE K

Reaction score
hi ben yes its proving to be a challengei float fished it a couple of times but i now have my maggot feeders on the go.all i have caught are perch at the moment one was quite a nice fish though near to the two pound mark on my last visit.