More Zoo Fish in Hallowed River Test

B

binka

Chadwick and Steve the sturgeon... well, you couldn't make it up :D

With reference to a word in the article is "fishes" really the correct pleural for fish or is it simply just... fish? :confused:

laguna

Reaction score
Chadwick and Steve the sturgeon... well, you couldn't make it up :D

With reference to a word in the article is "fishes" really the correct pleural for fish or is it simply just... fish? :confused:
Yes (hence my sig.) but not in this context; "It was one of two fishes that escaped as Steve the sturgeon also went missing but was found in a deep puddle at a car wash a mile down the road days later." (referring to two fish as fishes) Fish vs. fishes - Grammarist

Not too sure about the correct use of grammar here either; “We never thought we would get him back. He was such a dramatic looking fish, we thought that all sorts of things could happened to him."

Missing "have", thankfully no missing sheeps were reported lost and found in a car wash puddle! :D

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's beginning to look very bad. Something that was caught on a Mayfly-hooked 12-pound rainbow on the Houghton Club waters recently, not in Oklahoma I have on very good authority.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/phot...en-t-expecting-to-catch-1399471745-slideshow/

On a similar note, I was approached by a lower river keeper in the early 2000s asking me to bring him back some small Goliath tigerfish from the Congo ("They'd really tickle our City and corporate clients, Paul ... our fishery would be rammed..."). I believe that it was at this time I stopped picking up my phone.

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Paul, have you ever considered going back to the Congo at all?

I went back to that hellhole on my tod in 2005, to conclude some unfinished business - i.e. to catch one really big Goliath Tigerfish.

Result was a 92-pound G.T. (I call it 91, as I always knock a pound off a big fish; it was returned) to my rod, another in the 50s, plus a 70+ to the non-angler brother of an Italian-Argentine lady I know in Buenos Aires who had said to me in the early 2000s "But my brother lives and works there, Paul. He's seen the fish in the markets ... says he'salways wanted to catch one ... he has a really nice fast boat..."

Done.

mick b

Reaction score
Dropped in to see Steve and Chadwick the other day, they seemed well settled in their new location, until the next flood??

Also tried their Water Garden Cafe, overpriced coffee, food scraps on the floor and the tables and two staff more interested in chatting than serving..:eek:mg:

How if boasts a 5 rating for hygiene I will never know.....who does these things??

Clouds of hatchlings dancing over the Hallowed waters though, and watching a Hobby pursue a swallow made the day.

Next time with a rod me thinks................duffer's fortnight :eek:mg:

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
I went back to that hellhole on my tod in 2005, to conclude some unfinished business - i.e. to catch one really big Goliath Tigerfish.

Result was a 92-pound G.T. (I call it 91, as I always knock a pound off a big fish; it was returned) to my rod, another in the 50s, plus a 70+ to the non-angler brother of an Italian-Argentine lady I know in Buenos Aires who had said to me in the early 2000s "But my brother lives and works there, Paul. He's seen the fish in the markets ... says he'salways wanted to catch one ... he has a really nice fast boat..."

Done.

Bucket list trip for me. That and the Amazon.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not a very nice place, nor very "pretty" or skilful fishing. I can think of a few fish species (the great majority a mere fraction of the size) and areas of certain countries that I would go after / back to tomorrow but not the G.T.s of the Congo - freakshow, vanity fish, I rather think.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Not many alternative places to catch one of these though is there Paul, it was enough to make you return........
Pretty fishing doesn't bother me, I take it you mean livebaiting? Sure, I could go to Oz and livebait for the big macks and Cobia in the sun and civilisation but it aint the Goliath is it?
Or go popping for the other GT somewhere exotic and safe, also a bucket list thing bit it aint the Goliath...:)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh, and another thing, aside from the hellhole that is the Congo itself, Goliath don't fight that hard - not as hard as the smaller bog-standard tigers, nothing like mahseer or steelhead or big sea-trout, let alone some tropical saltwater brawlers; they just leap like hell once or twice, burn off downstream fast but not very far, then become a heavy, dead-ish weight which can be "walked up" or pumped in, only going a bit mental again near the bank or the boat when they realise the game is up. Bit disappointing really....