Drennan FD 3000 line problem

pratty117

Reaction score
Evening all
Have recently purchased a new drennan FD 3000 reel. I have loaded the spools with the correct diameter line and the correct amount. The shallow spools allow 100 or 90m on each. Now I used the reel for the first time yesterday and encountered quite a few problems. I tried out all three breaking strains and each time I had excess line peeling off the spool and tangling around the reel on the retrieve. Have I over loaded the spools? Even though the correct amount has been put on each? It was quite frustrating as it looks like a cracking reel for what I need. The spools don't look overloaded but then I'm no expert. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Adam

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I hate new line on my reels. Generally I fill the spools then go down to the nearest lake and cast it out with a heavy cage feeder on and wind in vigourously. This stretches the line slightly and after a few casts helps eliminate the line memory from the spool it came on.

pratty117

Reaction score
So you think this could be the problem? It's annoying because I like the idea of the shallow spools which eliminates the need for backing. I don't really want to strip any off either. May try the cage feeder method.

john step

Reaction score
I agree with Peter. I have also found that modern reels are so well engineered and free running that if I leave the ratchet/lock OFF they tend to backwind a little and the line can get all caught up round the workings. I tend to leave the ratchet on until I hit a bite.
This is not a problem with some of my old stiff reels.

trotter2

Reaction score
The problem could be the line m8 what make of line you spooled up with?.

pratty117

Reaction score
They've all got drennan float fish line 3.2lb, 4.4lb and 6lb.

trotter2

Reaction score
Must have too much line on then, float fish is a soft line should not be jumping off m8.:)

pratty117

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I'm inclined to think. I'm trying to upload some pictures, is there an easy way of doing this?