New rods

plumba

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am looking to get myself some new rods, I'm looking for a float rod that I can use for trotting for roach,chub & barbel, that will also be able to be used for float fishing for tench, also a couple of rods that I can use for bottom fishing for tench in quite weedy lakes that I could also use for barbel fishing, what do guys recommend, ?

paulvjwhite

Reaction score
drennan tench float,greys prodigy specimen twin tip 1.5 &2lb will cover most rivers for barbel.drennan tench float i use for trotting for barbel and for tench on stillwaters,both excellent rods but you will probably have to go on e-bay to find these.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I have the Drennan "Floatmaster" which caters for most of my float work at either 13'0 or !5'0 and the Greys Prodigy VX Twin Tip in the 1.25 & 1.75lb versions for feeder/ledger (also doubles as a heavy float)

If I was buying a float rod now I would probably go with the "Acolyte", it's feather light and feels superb, if a little expensive

Drennan Acolyte Plus 13ft & 14ft Float Rods - NEW for 2014! - Matchman Supplies

A lot depends on your budget and where you will be fishing.

Ian

plumba

Reaction score
Thanks for your replys, I have two of the greys prodigy barbel rods which are 1.5lb which are fine for my barbel & chub fishing on the ives & flit & hit but I don't think they would be man enough for gravel pit fishing for tench in weed, I'll have a look at the drennan float rod, some one suggested the shimano purist 15ft float rod ??

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Sorry that should read Ivel

trotter2

Reaction score
Dont think you will get a rod to cover all those eventualities from trotting for Roach to Barbel is too much of a step IMO.

benny samways

Reaction score
drennan tench float,greys prodigy specimen twin tip 1.5 &2lb will cover most rivers for barbel.drennan tench float i use for trotting for barbel and for tench on stillwaters,both excellent rods but you will probably have to go on e-bay to find these.

Cant comment on the drennan tench but the greys specimen rod with the 2lb top fitted is perfect for gravel pit tenching. Perfect small water/chuck carp fishing rods too. I like using 12lb mainline wit them but 10lb would be fine.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dont think you will get a rod to cover all those eventualities from trotting for Roach to Barbel is too much of a step IMO.

The Normark Avenger 13ft MKII covers just them all as does the old drennan im8 specimine float rod. I know it does as i've been using one for all those species for the last 8yrs. The Team Normark Avenger 2000 is good for all those species also. Only problem with those three rods is that you can't just walk into a shop and buy one, you'd need to source one from ebay or some private sales.

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of getting a drennan Acolyte, make sure your reel foot will fit onto the reel seat ! The real seat isn't the biggest/ longest anyhow but the hook keeper won't allow the reel seat to unscrew to it's fullest (it doesn't on mine anyhow) so limits the seats length even more.
I have a few centrepin reels and quite a lot of them won't fit onto the Acolytes seat.

robtherake

Reaction score
The Normark Avenger 13ft MKII covers just them all as does the old drennan im8 specimine float rod. I know it does as i've been using one for all those species for the last 8yrs. The Team Normark Avenger 2000 is good for all those species also. Only problem with those three rods is that you can't just walk into a shop and buy one, you'd need to source one from ebay or some private sales.

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of getting a drennan Acolyte, make sure your reel foot will fit onto the reel seat ! The real seat isn't the biggest/ longest anyhow but the hook keeper won't allow the reel seat to unscrew to it's fullest (it doesn't on mine anyhow) so limits the seats length even more.
I have a few centrepin reels and quite a lot of them won't fit onto the Acolytes seat.

Not a problem unique to Drennan, Ian. The only remedy is to remove the hook keeper, which I did on a couple of Fox rods. It only hurts for a minute :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not a problem unique to Drennan, Ian. The only remedy is to remove the hook keeper, which I did on a couple of Fox rods. It only hurts for a minute :D

Yeaph, your right Rob :D.
Makes you wonder just how much input these so called experts who endorse equiptment actually have, as simple things like this show a lack of common sense.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I have just bought a rod for exactly the same job - a 15 foot Preston Carbonactive Absolute RRP £275 but I got it for £206.

This rod will enable you to land massive chub, double figure barbel, bream and tench (if your lucky to hook one) but also allow you to fish for roach without bumping them off.

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
I have just bought a rod for exactly the same job - a 15 foot Preston Carbonactive Absolute RRP £275 but I got it for £206.

This rod will enable you to land massive chub, double figure barbel, bream and tench (if your lucky to hook one) but also allow you to fish for roach without bumping them off.

Well, that's the theory, anyway...:D

plumba

Reaction score
Appreciate your replies, is the greys twin tip a straight through 1.75 & 2 or does it include quivers ?

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Well, that's the theory, anyway...:D

The rod which I have used prior to buying the Preston one is the Team Daiwa X Mark 2 - the one before the Daiwa Tournament Pro. It cost me £360 in 1999 and has been used to catch chub to 6lb, barbel to nearly 8lb, tench to nearly 8lb, carp to double figures and bream into double figures, as well as roach fishing on lakes and rivers. It is only 13 foot - hence the addition to my massive rod collection.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thats the one, although it was just called the Prodigy Specimen when I bought it. No quivertips :w

Yeah benny, no quivertips...:w
It looks like a nice rod actually. I think Korum do some similar rods.

trotter2

Reaction score
That must be some rod Tigger if you can fish for Roach with a 1lb hook length and not crack off, and also use the same rod with 8 lb for barbel trotting. I will need to check that one out :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That must be some rod Tigger if you can fish for Roach with a 1lb hook length and not crack off, and also use the same rod with 8 lb for barbel trotting. I will need to check that one out :)

The rod has aline rating of 3 to 8lb ...here's an old advert for it...

Normark Avenger II 13ft Match Rod

Tritter2, I've never gone below 3lb bottoms in low diameter as i've never needed to. I always use 6lb when trotting for barbel and found it plenty powerfull enough having caught many barbel up to double figures and never ever being snapped off.
If you do like your trotting and float fishing then I think you would like the rod if you used one. I have quite a lot of float rods and this one really does blow 'em all away. I have the new acolyte (that everyone seems to be raving about) from drennan also and imo the normark (amongst several other float rods) is a far better rod.