Seat boxes

danielecerullo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My birthday is coming up and my mrs will be getting my vouchers to spend in my local tackle shop. I think she will be giving me around £100 but am willing to add some more of my own money to make up any difference.

So my question to you is what would you recommend for a good all round seat box? My prefferd method of fishing is the method feeder so I'd like one of the attachments that clips on to the side of the box that acts a rod rest (there's probably an easy name for them but I don't know haha)

Any advice that you may be able to give would be greatly appreciated.

Danny.

frederico

Reaction score
Hi,

If your looking for a set box mainly for method fishing I would go for one without a footplate. Daiwa so some good ones, take a look at the 50SB, you can get it for around £120. You probably also want one with some sort of deep storage space for reels etc as lots of boxes are designed for pole anglers and come only supplied with shallow storage units for keeping pole rigs in. If you are pole fishing then a footplate does help as it gives you a level platform to put your feet on, however if your mainly fishing with rods a footplate isn't really necessary. The rod rest that clips onto the pole is sold by many companies, Preston innovations do a telescopic feeder arm that costs around £25 and other companies like Maver do similar things. If you do like method fishing it may also be worth investing in a 'hoop' and groundbait bowl, the hoop is a metal ring that the groundbait bowl fits into nicely. This makes loading the feeder much easier as your not fumbling round in a bait box. Some sort of arm to attach a bait waiter or side tray too will be useful, and these are generally inexpensive. You must also make sure than any attachments you get fit onto the legs of your box. If you ask at your tackle shop I'm sure they will point you in the right direction. I would recommend from past experience to go for a 'bargain box' type thing. I bought one from 'Stillwater' a few years ago and it was awful! Stick to trusted companies like Daiwa and other well known names and you should be fine.
You could also take a look at the classic Shakespeare boxes which are very simple and have loads of space perfect for the all rounder. They don't come with legs but you can buy brackets that you an use to attach them with (I think octopus do them). These can be found for around £40 giving you plenty to spend on any accessories you like.
I hope this has been of some use, good luck in finding your box, and have a good birthday!

greenie62

Reaction score
Some good advice there - but I would add a note of caution to the comment regarding brackets, etc:

They don't come with legs but you can buy brackets that you an use to attach them with (I think octopus do them).

Although some of the companies do 'Universal fitting' attachments - they are seldom comprehensive - I've found it best to choose a brand and stick with it throughout so you know that you have compatible attachments as your needs grow - and they always do! :eek:mg:

You may find you need to develop DIY skills you never knew you had if you try mixing and matching sometimes! :)

Can you get a good range of vertical supports that will adjust for whatever rod conditions you need - e.g. Tip-high feeder, level / pole, tip-dipping over bankside vegetation, double buzzer bars with rods and alarms, etc?

And the classic - get up to dig something out of the box - and the whole 'erection' becomes unstable - starts to tip sideways/backwards - and in a frantic attempt to save it - slip on the platform and end up having an early bath! :eek:
(Does that sound autobiographical? Me? No - surely not!:rolleyes:)

Good luck - tight lines!:thumbs:

danielecerullo

Reaction score
Cheers gents,

So in the mean time I've been down to the tackle shop to have a browse, I've had my mind swayed a bit as if I was to get a seat box I'd probably have to invest in a wheel barrow too, cost isnt the problem but having the space in the motor to lug it all around is. So I think I'm going to go fo a fishing chair instead. I've had a look at the TF gear bank boss EZ chair it comes with side tray for free and also all the attachments I'm after come specifically for the chair at an extra price, but £50 for the chair and £15 for the rod rest attachment seem pretty cheap to me. Not having used any of the TF gear I'm not sure what kind of quality there products are like? I believe it's the brand that matt Hayes is behind? I'm a fan of matt so hopefully his gear is of the same standard?

jamstorr86

Reaction score
I'm just migrating from a chair to a seat box. With a chair u will also need some sort of way of carrying all your tackle too. U end up having to carry more. I found this annoying so I'm gunna start using my old mans old seat box until I get my hands on a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danielecerullo

Reaction score
I'm just migrating from a chair to a seat box. With a chair u will also need some sort of way of carrying all your tackle too. U end up having to carry more. I found this annoying so I'm gunna start using my old mans old seat box until I get my hands on a new one.

As it stands I'm just using a camping chair as it is and I can carry everything comfortably in one trip from the car so I wouldn't be carrying anymore as my rod net and bank sticks are in my hold all so I only have the chair and tackle box to carry. Just the whole trolley thing is putting me off, is it really necessary as the blokes in the tackle shop suggest?

jamstorr86

Reaction score
I don't think a seat box is necessarily that heavy. Maybe an older angler or someone susceptible to bad backs may need one. You can pick up a fishing trolley for 30 quid of amazon.