Two Hook rigs

P

Paul Hawkins

I regularly use these(in a safety/ helicopter set up) for tench and the very occassional bream that interrupts! What about using them for Carp? And why shouldn't we? (cos you will all go barmy at the concept!)

K

Kevan Busby

Paul, I think that what your proposing is actually illegal or against the EA rules. I can't swear to that though, I just remember an article in one of the carp mags about a guy who had devised a two-hook rig who was shot down in flames. Seriously though are you sure its really in the interests of the carps safety to use two hooks? The chances of damage to the fish from the other hook flailing about during the fight are immense. I'm not gonna shoot you down but, I'll ask you to consider the welfare of the fish very seriously.PS You would be banned from our club waters for fishing this way.

J

john conway

Don’t know if it is illegal, in wet fly fishing you normally use two or three flys.

P

Paul Williams

Two hook rigs a widely used in Bream, roach and tench fishing, in some parts of the country it is legal and in others it aint as far as i can make out........it is not discussed in carp fishing very often!.......i have used the rigs (not in carping!) but am tending to move away from them.......but i won't be discounting them alltogether.

D

David Will

I too have used them in the past for Roach Tench Bream. I don't now as I failed to benefit and spent a lot of time comparing results by fishing single and double rigs alongside each other.They were more trouble than benefit. I would not dream of using them for Carp for fear of public flogging outside the famous Horse and Barge .

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I just recently got a right lambasting from a forum on another site when I stood my ground about the ethics and reasons of using this type of rig. Martin Bowler is wholly against this type of set-up and the backing he got suggested that most people thnk it should be resigned to the bin. I still use a two hook rig on occasion and feel that if used correctly it is just another arrow in the quiver so to speak.

P

Paul Williams

Trouble is Murray some folk are to ready to follow like sheep......if Martin Bowler says it's a bad method then he just has to be right! and that aint a knock at Martin either but have the knockers tried it? i can honestly say i have never had a problem when using the rig, i have mainly used it for roach fishing and with hooklinks of 3inches........i would be interested in why others find it unethical especially in modern angling.

C

Cakey

Trouble is we are on a carp forum and the thought of a pair of 20lbers head to head well......................................

P

Paul Williams

Yeah but it could be your secret weapon to trounce you know who!!

P

Paul Hawkins

In answer to Kevins concern, it's not illegal as per EA rules and regulations, although of course, the well meaning juntas that run most clubs these days ban everything bar standard match type approaches. The query was more of an ethical one which, as we seem to accept it's use for other species, hasn't really been answered.
We have records for the biggest brace ever caught in a day......lets have one for the biggest brace caught at the same time on the same rig!!!
Oh what controversy. Dont worry boys, I'll keep it singles for carp, was merely interested in a response and who's got the biggest willy out of rik and that other lot!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
He'll need more than two hooks per rig Paul, he'll be lucky if he finds the venue if his memory is anything to go by!

1-2-0 is the correct statement by the way! but perhaps not in that order!

C

Carp Angler

"who's got the biggest willy out of rik and that other lot!"

Who knows?
But it definitely won't be appearing in a brace shot.........