Have you used it yet

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I suppose you will never stop some anglers devising ways and means of eliminating the often hard won skills of fly fishing. Over the years we have seen the static booby, the egg fly (often flavoured), the bung, and now the "Stren Coil".

The Stren coil is alength of yellow Stren line about 20lbs bs which has been tightly wound around a bit of stiff stick, like a cotton bud, to make a spring. This is tied in the leader and greased up to make ot float. When the fish takes the fly the spring of the coil has such little resistance that the fish holds on with confidence, until it reaches the end of the spring and bingo - the fish will invariably hook itself!!!

I suppose it won't be long before we have hair rigged flies, and then special rod pods for fly rods. Chuck the lot out and go to sleep!!!

I once did surprised a pair of Grafham "anglers" who had fly rods in rod pods, but that's another story.

But really guys is this true innovation? Are these ideas within the ethos of fly fishing, or of angling as a whole? When is it going to end?

I suppose when some bright spark suggests we use nets and dynamite????

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
It isn't new, Ron! (What is?)

In the days of Bionic Bleaking, there was an article revealing the crumpled-and-greased cast, and a matchman called, if I recall correctly, Clive Gingell revealed the same sort of trick for legering for bream and roach.

I keep forgetting to try it, so thanks for the memory-jog!

S

Shrek

I can see it kind of helping with bite detection, but it's going to be a bugger to cast it out there in the first place I would have thought. Surely the "spring" will absorb a lot of the energy in the cast and you won't get good turnover. Then again, I may be wrong.....!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

It goes on the leader Adrian, so it shouldn't affect your casting too much. I haven't made one up yet, but when I can gey some of the right mono, I will.

I'll speak to Steve Parton, but I know what he'll tell me - knowing Steve!!!!

/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I first heard about it in the States (Bev's son told me about it a while ago, he used it on some of the streams in Colorado)--- but I forgot all about it, thanks for reminding me about it Ron .

THE STREN COIL ....

The line to use is Stren Original Golden Fluorescent or an Italian line called Asso Diamond in 6lb BS

slime monster

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Alan Tyler wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

It isn't new, Ron! (What is?)

In the days of Bionic Bleaking, there was an article revealing the crumpled-and-greased cast, and a matchman called, if I recall correctly, Clive Gingell revealed the same sort of trick for legering for bream and roach.

I keep forgetting to try it, so thanks for the memory-jog!</blockquote>
alan,the bleak method was to drag the line through the fingernails to pigtail it the float was splatted down on the water after the feed and the short line floated for instant takes the splash of the float itself attracting the bleak.

C

Colin North, the one and only

The "Stren Coil" is almost exactly like the method I described a few weeks ago to someone on one of the other threads. Its not new. I used something very similar in the mid 80's.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

For the Stren Coil...................You tie a small loop in each end of the line and wind it around a cotton bud stem and pin the ends to the cotton bud ends.....drop it in boiling water for a few minutes and then into the freezer and it forms a spring which you coat quite heavily with floatant/mucilin to make it floathigh on the water

NT

Reaction score
I would be getting my dropper(s) caught in this all the time. Its bad enough untangling the mess I getin whenfishingfour flies.
I'd also say it wouldn't help with bite detection as its less easy to see a gentle take.

Alternatively you could but a zebra line..

Neil