Rechargeable Batteries

Julian Parkin 2

Reaction score
I'm after a bit of advice please

I dropped my TXR receiver in the lake the other week and since then the rechargeable batteries don't want to hold their charge.

Is it a case of replacing them or could it be the recharging element on the receiver that has gone?

It says on the packaging to use only FOX approved batteries (Could be just a marketting thing) so haven't tried any other rechargeables. It does still work with normal alkaline batteries

Cheers Julian

mogs

Reaction score
Bin the oldbatteries for new ones but make sure new ones are same voltage as old ones. I would also recon that it is a marketing ploy by mister fox..

Julian Parkin 2

Reaction score
Thanks Mogs for your reply. That was my first thought, but its not just the voltage, but the milliamps that need to be taken into account and that info isn't on the batteries.

Any ideas anyone on this?

Mithrandir

Reaction score
if you use ni-cad recharables instead of nimh or lithium ion batteries then the voltage will be different too,

Sorry i do not know the type in this device, but the trouble could be that if you left the batteries in it whilst the unit was wet then the components could have shorted out and be draining the batteries too quickly, also if it was powered and wet, the effect would short the batteries and damage them.

A tip for all anglers, any electronic device dropped in the water needs to have the batteries removed straight away, then let the unit dry out for a few days before attempting to put the batteries back in. It is common that mobile phones get dropped in the water, I have saved two peoples phones by being there and getting the battery out as soon as we get the phone back.

Julian Parkin 2

Reaction score
Agghhh. Looks like I've commited the cardinal sin. I carried on using it and even recharged it soon after!! I picked it out almost immediately and didn't really check it out for moisture.

You live and learn. New batteries I feel. Fox telephone number anyone.......