Rod Licence

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
There have been a couple of threads about anglers being caught without a rod licence.

I think a heavy fixed penalty should be put in place. This way everyone pays the same fine, and by making the fine very heavy it may stop these people from fishing without a licence.

The EA would get more funds from the fines, and maybe more money from people buying the rod licence rather than taking the risk. More money would help benefit all of us.

There are those who will take this all out of proportion, saying stupid things like, lets hang them, why fine them and let off drink drivers. This has nothong to do with other laws, just the rod licence.

Heavy fixed penalty, the EA states you could be finedupto £2,000.00,

What do you think, for it or not.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Bob,

As i understand it, the EA get part of the fine, if a fixed penalty was in place the EA could then get a fixed part of the fine.

There is the other side to all this, with a fixed penalty you dont have to waste the courts and everyone elses time. Anyone caught netting would still have to face the courts, with the fixed penalty still payable if they didnt have a licence.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I agree in principle Ray, but it's not black and white mate.

What if a dad who has never been fishing before took his 2 or 3 kids out fishing and they all got nabbed. Would it be right or fair to fine him 6 or 8 grand?

How about one warning and the next time you get caught you get a £2000 fine. This way they would be aware and have no excuse.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Steve,

Everyone would wait until they got caught and given a warning, licence sales would be so low the EA would think anglers had gone on strike.

How many times have you had to show your licence during the time you have been fishing?.Twice for me in 45 years.

If there was a fixed fine, would you take your kids without a licence.I think with juniors they should do a couple of hours work with the local EA on a Saturday morning, not get a fine. This would also help them understand more about the EA and what they do for angling.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Ray,

I'm talking about complete new-comers who know nothing about fishing, the ones who gone into a tackle shop and buy a kit. But that's the black and white that I meant.

Proper anglers know the law, so yes, bang em with the full monty!

I've been asked twice in 36 years.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Steve,

I know what you mean, but Ithink all good tackle shops would tell them that they need a licence, but i would like the tackle shops to sell them again.

The way the post offices are closeing down, it might be the only way the EA can sell them soon, apart from on line.