Leica

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

mick b

Reaction score
I suppose you know there is a top of the range Hassleblad going for free, you only have to go and pick it up......

It was dropped over the side on one of the first space walks :D

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice audio-slideshow tribute to the great cameras here - BBC News - One hundred years of Leica cameras

Never owned one but was allowed to handle a good many of the classic models in a shop that traded in Windsor Street, Uxbridge, for many years (opposite the long-resident Bruce Coleman picture agency - Photoshot acquires Bruce Coleman photo library)

Ah, when cameras were cameras and photography photography....

The Leica M series of Rangefinder Cameras will never be bettered IMO, superlative Quality on every level!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That shop I mentioned only stocked Leicas old and new, Rolleiflex and Hasselblad cameras. Across the street, pretty well next door to Bruce Coleman's agency (I had a few wildlife photos of mine "with it" at one time), was the long-established second-hand bookshop, Barnard's, where I found and bought a book for pence in 1975 that probably set me off on my fishing travels. All gone now, me fast going that way!

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Second hand bookshops are vanishing like the plague arrived. So sad, so very sad.

As for cameras, not much of a user myself but I do have an ancient Karl Zeiss thing I bought in Gibraltar 30 odd years ago.

Seems to work ok.....:)

nicepix

Reaction score
Second hand bookshops are vanishing like the plague arrived. So sad, so very sad.

As for cameras, not much of a user myself but I do have an ancient Karl Zeiss thing I bought in Gibraltar 30 odd years ago.

Seems to work ok.....:)

I used to buy, play with and then re-sell vintage Zeiss & Contax cameras. I've had pretty much all the range at some time or another and it is my intention to visit their factory museum in Jena at some stage.

Carl Zeiss was a philanthropist in the manner if Titus Salt and Joseph Rowntree. His workers benefited from subsidised company housing and the factory estates also had their own schools and hospitals. His workers also enjoyed the reassurance of sick pay and pensions well before this became the norm in other companies. His business partner Ernst Abbe first developed the mathematical formula to enable lenses to be manufactured by mass production. Previously every lens had to be ground and tested several times to make it perfect.

The Contax range of 35mm cameras were far more sophisticated than the Leica range in the 1930's and I have owned several pre-war Contax II range finders including a mint 1936 model that took these shots.......

At the end of WWII the Russians captured the CZ factories lock, stock and barrel including all the top designers and technicians whilst the Americans and British raced them into Munich and Stuttgart and took possession of some of the Leica factories and scientists. The CZ production lines were put onto trains and carted off to Kiev where they were used to manufacture Contax clones named the KIEV. Unfortunately the Russians did not have the same ideas about quality as the Germans and staffed the factories with slave labour including orphans and war prisoners. As a result each successive generation of Contax clone cameras was worse than the previous ones to the point when in the 1970's you needed hide gloves to protect your hands from the swarf on the winding knob.

The Leica factory captured by the Russians also ended up behind the iron curtain and Zorki cameras were the result. On the face of it, similar to the Leica ii and iii, but in reality far from the same quality. The western Leitz factories went from strength to strength and the Leica M3 became something of an icon amongst many photographers, but never really appealed to me. I remain a Zeissaholic :)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I suppose you know there is a top of the range Hassleblad going for free, you only have to go and pick it up......

It was dropped over the side on one of the first space walks :D

Just what is it about Hasselblads? Why are they so accident prone?

This gentleman - Drachkovitch, l'eau, les poissons et la lumière - YouTube - France's finest all-round angler, a French Wilson (and a lot more) long before J.W. was a mere twinkle in his parents' eyes, dropped a whole bag of them in the West Ramganga River in Corbett Park in March 1980**. My Icelandic pal who was with him at the time later drily told me (I had just left for South India) that he deserved it for having dismantled the river with "leurre souple" (soft plastic lures) and with fly over the previous few days.

The bag of cameras was retrieved, not left to the crocs, mahseer and tigers.

** Edit. Nope. Though I was in Corbett in '79, '80, '81 and '82, the first of the international contingent didn't arrive until 1981 or '82 - the wonderful "Drachko" among a dozen or so Brits and two or three French.

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I used to buy, play with and then re-sell vintage Zeiss & Contax cameras. I've had pretty much all the range at some time or another and it is my intention to visit their factory museum in Jena at some stage.

Carl Zeiss was a philanthropist in the manner if Titus Salt and Joseph Rowntree. His workers benefited from subsidised company housing and the factory estates also had their own schools and hospitals. His workers also enjoyed the reassurance of sick pay and pensions well before this became the norm in other companies. His business partner Ernst Abbe first developed the mathematical formula to enable lenses to be manufactured by mass production. Previously every lens had to be ground and tested several times to make it perfect.

The Contax range of 35mm cameras were far more sophisticated than the Leica range in the 1930's and I have owned several pre-war Contax II range finders including a mint 1936 model that took these shots.......

At the end of WWII the Russians captured the CZ factories lock, stock and barrel including all the top designers and technicians whilst the Americans and British raced them into Munich and Stuttgart and took possession of some of the Leica factories and scientists. The CZ production lines were put onto trains and carted off to Kiev where they were used to manufacture Contax clones named the KIEV. Unfortunately the Russians did not have the same ideas about quality as the Germans and staffed the factories with slave labour including orphans and war prisoners. As a result each successive generation of Contax clone cameras was worse than the previous ones to the point when in the 1970's you needed hide gloves to protect your hands from the swarf on the winding knob.

The Leica factory captured by the Russians also ended up behind the iron curtain and Zorki cameras were the result. On the face of it, similar to the Leica ii and iii, but in reality far from the same quality. The western Leitz factories went from strength to strength and the Leica M3 became something of an icon amongst many photographers, but never really appealed to me. I remain a Zeissaholic :)

Wow, thanks a million Clive. Could never, ever claim to be a photographer but obviously have touched on something which means a great deal to you. The only thing worthy of mention regarding my camera was that one of the spare lenses was "under new management" of a barbary ape until a Land Rover belonging to the Duke of Wellington's Regiment pulled up and the lens retrieved at gunpoint.

The Gibraltar branch of the RSPCA would not have approved. I'm not sure I did, but the rescue party certainly did the business....:)

Glad you enjoy your photography. It's like pencil drawing and playing the piano. I'd love to be able to do all three but one minor aspect prevents me - talent, in a word....

nicepix

Reaction score
Wow, thanks a million Clive. Could never, ever claim to be a photographer but obviously have touched on something which means a great deal to you. The only thing worthy of mention regarding my camera was that one of the spare lenses was "under new management" of a barbary ape until a Land Rover belonging to the Duke of Wellington's Regiment pulled up and the lens retrieved at gunpoint.

The Gibraltar branch of the RSPCA would not have approved. I'm not sure I did, but the rescue party certainly did the business....:)

Glad you enjoy your photography. It's like pencil drawing and playing the piano. I'd love to be able to do all three but one minor aspect prevents me - talent, in a word....

The Leica rangefinder was popularised by one or two famous photographers, probably the most worthy being Cartier-Bresson Henri Cartier-Bresson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia who was the prominent reportage photographer capturing 'the decisive moment' although many were actually set up shots. The Leica M rangefinders subsequently became fashion items whereas the Contax ii and latterly the G1 and G2 were tools of the pro's being much more sophisticated and discrete. If you had a Leica everyone who knew a little about photography thought that you were a pro'. Whereas if you had a Contax only the real pro's thought you were a pro' ;)

Sometimes I used to restrict myself to an old Contax rangefinder, a light meter, one or two lenses or a Zeiss folding camera and one roll of film and go off on my motorbike looking for 'the' shot. Much the same as I do with fishing where I'll take a cane rod and centrepin or even a five foot whip from the Poundshop and get back to basics.

Like you I am also frustrated by a lack of ability. I would love to be able to paint water colours. I'm hopeless at it and so I confine myself to taking photos instead. :)

p.s. This incident with the ape and army. Were the soldiers just passing through or do you have a regiment around for personal protection? :D

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I was trying to trade a can of coke for the lens when the Duke of Wellies turned up and took the direct approach.

Gibraltar was my first overseas posting and, I have to confess, I grew up real quick - some of the stuff I saw and experienced there....:D

I love the idea of having my own personal Praetorian Guard but, sadly, no, they were just passing.

Will always be grateful though, negotiations were stalling badly at the time.....:)