feeder rod for sea fishing?

blagoobs

Reaction score
Hi guys im heading to brittany in the summer for two weeks and hope to do a fair bit of fishing.

I regularly course fish and cant afford to buy a propper sea rod.

I have two 9 foot spinning rods which I guess will be fine for mackerel.

My main question is can I use my feeder rod off the edge of the short sone pier? It has a 1.5oz tip? WAS thinking of dropping a small ledger with a ragworm on the hook.

I also have a 10ft match rod I was hoping to do a similar set up with.

Dont no much about fishingin the sea, justwanna pull outa few mckeral and maybe a bass.

nicepix

Reaction score
The rod will be fine as long as you remember to wash it and the reel down with fresh water after fishing.

I would float fish where possible rather than ledger and look for mullet around the stone jetties, harbours and estuaries. If you can find a sandy cove then maybe ledgering for flatties would be possible. Also if you can wade just beyond the breakers you might get a bass or two using spinners.

simonsmith

Reaction score
In a nutshell, yes. Great fun when used to fish light for bass and golden grey mullet in the surf.

cg74

Reaction score
I've used a barbel rod (a 4oz quiver tip top section) for wrasse, and it worked well giving excellent bite indication and led too them hanging themselves, instead of those annoying tap and jags you often get with them.

Last edited:

sumtime

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with your spinning rods, I've caught many a wrasse etc using mine off the rocks in Anglesey, I personally wouldn't bother with a feeder rod. When I'm abroad I always use my four piece travel rod, just fits into my wife's suitcase. :)

Last edited: