BOILIES PROBLEMS

GertR

Reaction score
Morning to all.

Went out yesterday after just prebaiting a spot with maize on saturday afternoon with 4 kilo's of Maize.

Turned out to be just one of those sessions.

Caught 7 up to 22 pounds and lost 4. GREAT FUN.

But my problem. I was trying to use homemade boilies i think this was still from the first batches i made last year.
Air dried boilies. These rods yesterday came out the boilies not being on the hair anymore. Time and time again. Presoaked the baits for 12 hours.
Could this be because of boiling them for too little. I know in the beginning i did not really like to boil them so they just went in for not longer than a minute. The new batches i boiled for up to 3 minutes. But will only test them the coming weekend.

Thanks allot.
Greetings GERT

GertR

Reaction score
O ja think i had too much hemp in aswell.

The boilies was breaking up quite allot.

FRUSTRATING.

C

Cakey

morning Gert

Iwould love to help you but first I need to know your recipe and second I would need an invite to your lake /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

when you air dry and re-hydrate, they will go more "crumbly" than a normal bait, and normallyabsorb water quickerwhich can make them soggy.try meshing the hookbaits.

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
gert,

If you put too much hemp seed in the mix the boilies will break (partly) when threading them on the baiting needle and don't stand a good chance of staying on the hair, as I have found out myself.

They probably come off when reeling in I think but you don't know if they're on or not.

I always Boil mine for 3 mins (14mm) but if I roll say 18 or 20mm ones I will boil them for longer, up to 4 1/2 mins.

Cakey, I'm off down the post box with that speed controller in a bit.

paul tant

Reaction score
i would take 20/30 hookbaits out of each batch and put them in the freezer , they wont take up to much room , airdry the rest .

are you rehydrating your hookbaits so you can get them on the hair ?i use rock hard airdrys in france alot , never rehydrate them , a little trick i use, is to thread my hookbaits onto a length of 15lb line , knot the line and airdry like that , kind of a large necklace lol.

you dont say what size your boilies are ? but 3 minutes boiling ,is to long unless your using 24mm + baits ?

over boiling hardens a bait , but also denatures it , just like your veg , you dont want to boil all the goodness out of them .

90 seconds is a good starting point ,

you say hemp , i take it you mean crushed/ground down hemp ? 1 oz per 16 oz mix is enough imo you can go up to 2 oz as long as you have good binders ?

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
I went from 2 to 3 mins because they were still quite soft, could have been the consistency of my mix I sposebut I knew they were going to stay on and I still caught with them the same.

I dry them on a rack over night, 6 hrs usually then freeze them. Is it ok to keep refreezing unused ones coz it doesn't take long for mine to go a bit manky.

F

Frothey

if 14mm's are taking 2-3mins to boil then you either arent mixing the paste stiff enough, or you need some better binders in it. you can use a "hempy" bait, just add some egg albumen or more of something like coarse semolina / 60 mesh casein

but then, like you say, you've caught on it.

GertR

Reaction score
Hi All thanks for all the info.
I think my original thread was maybe a bit confusing. I caught on maize hookbaits and not the boilies.

But anyway thanks for all the info. Do you think that it is better to fish with air dried baits just like that or to rehydrate them or freezing them. Which one would you prefer. Sorry if the questions seems a little daft but it really helps me to hear your point of view. The idea behind the air hydrates was to soak them 12 hours in the attractor before using them.
Sorry cakey but the water is in South Africa. Have been fishing alot of water here since April that other anglers are writing off as not having fish and i am having a ball to be honest. The best of all 2 waters 2 minutes from my house. Those boilies were between 14 and 16mm

F

Frothey

to be fair Gert. I'd stick with the maize!

use them straight from the freeazer. when i have used air dried baits (abroad) i just glug them in a bit of salmon oil if i want extra attraction.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

When I lived and carp fished in SA, I didn't get involved with complicated baits. Sweetcorn, boiled maize, maize meal pastes, bread pastes, nothing more than that.

Preparing boilies is expensive and time consuming.

Frothey is right, a few differently flavoured dips and glugs are all you need.

GertR

Reaction score
Thanks Ron and Frothey. I definitely aggree with what you are saying and have been telling the people here is SA the same thing. And i know MAIZE AND DOUGH work here.

The only reason i am experimenting with the boilies is because i am moving to Buckinghamshire. But thanks for the information got my brain working overtime.

THANKS.

F

Frothey

you'll find you can buy decent baits over here cheap enough to make them not worth making yourself - if you know what i mean. unless you want to get "into" bait.

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
I make boilies because I can do 500g for about 60p, would be £4 inlocalshop.

My favourite flavouring is Tesco's version of angel delight - strawbery, the carp go mad for them from the start of the season up until about now. 1 packet is 6p and I will put 4 in a 4 egg mix.

Just thought this too, a bag of 28mm or 30mm in the shop is a tenner /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif- it's still 500gms

GertR

Reaction score
I posed the same question to Shaun Harrison from Quest Baits thought i would post his reply here for information its on the website blog as well.

Re-hydrating and boiling bait and sacking carp.

Morning Shaun.

Not really sure if I must pose my questions to the emails. But anyway sure you will tell me.

Here is my question:

Went out yesterday to a day ticket water. Baited the spot on Saturday evening with about 4 kilo?s of maize.

Had 11 takes yesterday up to 22 pounds. Not big but great fun. My problem is that I am trying homemade boilies too, basically air dried boilies as per your articles. Soaking them for 12 hours but yesterday when I went out time and time again the rig comes out with the boilie no where to be seen.

I was fishing with some of the first batches that I made and i know in the beginning I was scared to boil them for too long, basically just boiling them for a minute.

The new batches I boil until they start rising 2 - 3 minutes. Could this be the problem

Got hemp in them too, way too much I think as they tend to break up quit badly when I try to put them on the Hair - rig.

Another question I want to buy a carp sack as I get fish early in the morning with no one to take photo?s for me.

How long is safe to sack a carp.

Thanks a lot.

PS. Saw a movie friday of you in France. Excellent.

Greetings Gert Roestoff

South Africa.

Hi Gert,

Boiling Times Almost certainly your first batches of bait weren?t boiled for long enough for the egg to cook and help bind the ingredients together. It is very difficult giving accurate advice though with not knowing the make up of your home made baits. It is usual to boil the baits until they float when made with fresh eggs. Giving an actual boiling time doesn?t really help as it also depends upon the heat source and the size of the pan. The larger the volume of water the less boiling time as you don?t cool the water so much taking it off the boil as you do when dropping cold baits into a small pan of boiling water.

Hook Baits Hemp is a very difficult ingredient to work with in boilie rolling. This is the main reason I started the re-hydrating in hemp juice. The baits were already formed before I got the hemp into them so were already bound together well. One tip I would give however is keep a few baits separate from the others for hookbait use. Don?t soak these for so long, this way they remain firmer for longer and stay on the hair much better - the carp will still take them if you have them feeding on the other soaked baits.

Sacking Carp Never sack carp any longer than is absolutely essential. Pay more attention to where you are sacking the fish rather than for how long. Sack them in deep and shaded water - NEVER in the sun. Carp are fine being kept in carp sacks for a short period but the main problem with it is that they get all their energy back and usually thrash around once you remove them from the sack, particularly when the light first hits their eyes. This thrashing around can cause lots of unnecessary suffering for the fish, removing protective slime and the like.

Basically if you must retain them make sure you have a good long extension lead to join to your sack cord and allow the fish to swim and find it?s own comfort zone but please check on it regularly to make sure it is laying the right way up and not suffering in any way. There is no need to take them right out to do this - simply ease the cord back to the bank slowly and you should be able to feel the sack and see the fishes outline swimming against the pull. If it is doing this then the fish is fine.

Hope this helps - Best fishes - Shaun Harrison

F

Frothey

<blockquote class=quoteheader>jumpin jimbo wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I make boilies because I can do 500g for about 60p, would be £4 inlocalshop.

My favourite flavouring is Tesco's version of angel delight - strawbery, the carp go mad for them from the start of the season up until about now. 1 packet is 6p and I will put 4 in a 4 egg mix.

Just thought this too, a bag of 28mm or 30mm in the shop is a tenner /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif- it's still 500gms</blockquote>
you can buy a decent bait for £4-£5 a kilo from many companies direct. no disrespect, butthe bait you've mentioned will catch the odd fish but as a long term bait on a pressured water its not exactly suitable. if the angel delight thing was that good a bait then all the bait companies would use it - you can imagine what they can buy the powder at when they are buying by the tonne. you also have to add the cost of eggs andenergy for cooking themto your 500gram to do a fair comparison.......

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Hi Frothey,

I do use different baits, but mainly boilies because I can pult em and I am usually fishing at a distance, maybe 100ft.

Its not a pressure water, for the last 2 seasons I am usually the only one there, maybe I might see george, the old match angler havin a good time catchin the raoch and perch. Maybe some crucians. Before that I don't know, but I suspect because of the rowing boats in the summer and the dog walkers who let their dog piss up your stuff, say sorry then let them do the same next time, it hasn't been fished a lot and probably not had much in the way of bait, especially boilies going in. Its in the middle of a public park.

Just recently a small group of 4 have been turning up with their carping gear, It might be gettin around there are some nice fish in there.

171/2lb mirror is my bestand a couple of months ago a stranger turned up who I haven't seen since and had a lovely looking 18 1/2 mirror. I think his name was SOD.

Annnnywaaaaayyyy, I'm off to get my first 20 out of there, out of anywhere infact and pop that thing in the post toCakey.