Burco Heater for Particles

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Just a bit of information and a plea for any advice.

After years of seriously pi**ing the trouble and strife off by using large saucepans etc to prepare particles, I finally bought myself the Burco I had been promising myself for decades.:)

No problem, I thought, I can now prepare large quantities in one go! Thermostatically controlled, what could go wrong?

Well, it isn't as easy as I thought. Obviously, the heater is designed for clean water, not gloopy particle juice. My first efforts with Red Band resulted in burnt juice and the heater continually turning off. A bit better with maize but not great.:confused:

Back to the drawing board. Firstly, I made sure that the liquid was 'watery' enough (if that makes sense) but the best thing I have found is to place a 9" stainless sieve (with the handle cut off) over the heater. This stops the particle pressing down on the heat and burning, latest effort, much better.

Has anybody else had these problems? Did you find a better way around them?

Stu

john step

Reaction score
Large old redundant saucepans and an electric ring that they sell for bedsits does it for me in the shed.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Has anybody else had these problems? Did you find a better way around them?

My missus once had a business making soap and we had a couple of these boilers. If you think particle liquid is gloopy, soap is a lot worse. We managed to overcome similar problems to yours by setting the thermostat low (No 2) for the first 1/2 hour then edging it up slowly. Did the trick, stopped it from switching itself off or burning out elements.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
We managed to overcome similar problems to yours by setting the thermostat low (No 2) for the first 1/2 hour then edging it up slowly. Did the trick, stopped it from switching itself off or burning out elements.
Thanks Geoff, I'll try this next batch.

---------- Post added at 14:40 ---------- Previous post was at 14:39 ----------

Place a similar shaped container inside your boiler, raised off the elements with "feet".
Thanks Laguna, I'll have a look around for one. Same principal as my seive but would be a lot easier!

Stu

nicepix

Reaction score
Double boiler system.
Place a similar shaped container inside your boiler, raised off the elements with "feet".

That's what I would suggest too. A floating ally container slightly smaller in diameter than the boiler and sitting in enough water to separate the bottom of the container from any heating elements.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

Makes complete sense. Do you (or anybody else for that matter) happen to know of a supplier of such inner containers, or is it a matter of searching around for something that will do the job?

Cheers

Stu

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Stu, try Poundland or Poundstretchers, can't remember which, they do a metal latticework litter bin that would be ideal, I use one to house a small water pump in to stop it 'clogging', but I would still cover the element for protection.

laguna

Reaction score
I wouldn't risk using one with holes in Stu it could concentrate the liquid and contaminate the elements?
I have an old double boiler in the workshop which we use for melting vinamould and wax (used for prototyping), it has a suspended solid inner pot made of aluminium.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Thanks Chris,

Yes, that makes sense, especially with really gloopy concoctions like Red Band.

Regards

Stu

nicepix

Reaction score
Look out at charity shops for a suitable saucepan and cut, drill or rip the handle off it. Dependent on the size of your boiler you might be able to get a large double handled cooking pan as used in canteens. Just drill the rivets out.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
It does mean you won't be able to use the tap however. Perhaps that's not important but it will weigh a hell of a lot so be very careful when lifting out the inner liner.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
It does mean you won't be able to use the tap however. Perhaps that's not important but it will weigh a hell of a lot so be very careful when lifting out the inner liner.
You're not wrong Geoff, I'll get back on the weights:eek:

Lazy mans sport this fishing!

Stu

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
My Burco is a 20ltr version, so I got hold of a 10ltr double handled stew pot that fits inside with about an inch clearance and the handles rest on the burco.

Filled the burco with water so that it came up the pot higher than the contents of the stew pot (pre-soaked Red Band) and fired up. It took over an hour from the burco reaching temp to heat through the contents of the pot, I left it a lot longer than I do when just boiling on a stove but the results look good, added a little live CSL and letting it ferment away as I type this.

Thanks guys, looks like I'm on to a winner here, I can deal with maize and chick peas in the Burco direct and the more glutinous particles in the inner pot. Simples!

Stu

greenie62

Reaction score
Thanks guys, looks like I'm on to a winner here, I can deal with maize and chick peas in the Burco direct and the more glutinous particles in the inner pot. Simples!

Which reminds me:

How do you make Meerkat Stew in a Burco?
Simples! :eek:;)