Blank holiday. How did you get on?

nicepix

Reaction score
Lac de Mas Chaban chucking plugs in the shallows. Nothing, zilch, nano! Enjoyed casting with the multiplier though. Its very therapeutic compared to casting with a fixed spool reel. :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Lac de Mas Chaban chucking plugs in the shallows. Nothing, zilch, nano! Enjoyed casting with the multiplier though. Its very therapeutic compared to casting with a fixed spool reel. :)

Same here - really enjoy using a multiplier for lure fishing..:)

nicepix

Reaction score
Same here - really enjoy using a multiplier for lure fishing..:)

I was in Decathalon the other day wasting time while the garage were fitting a new sensor to the car and I nearly, ever so nearly bought a new Shimmy baitcaster. Glad I didn't as I've been able to do a bit of research and come up with a better option. No good having one with an alloy gearbox when there is the likelihood of a 20lb+ catfish snaffling the lure. They don't give in as easily as pike. Belligerent sods they are.

But for me the rythm of using a multiplier is a bit like fly fishing and it becomes quite relaxing. :)

The Runner

Reaction score
No fishing again, haven''t been out since early March.
Going to be aching a bit tomorrow though- working party down the river and I got placed on shovelling and barrow duty with a huge pile of aggregate. For three and a half hours....

Think I'll stick to accountancy.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
At 5.15am I parted the curtains a smidge and saw a dull overcast day, and, more to the point, it was dry! Unfortunately, by the time I'd dressed and got the gear to the front door I noticed spot of rain on the pond. Obviously a mistake as the Met office said 'clear until round 9am' or so then definite rain, so it was bound to stop quite soon....
No matter a little drizzle thought I, as I shall be heading west and said rain would be in the east, although in driving toward the lake it seemed to be getting more consistent.

As luck would have it I managed to reach my swim in a 'dry' spell and it stayed that way until the second cast when the heavens opened in varying degrees of torrential and I moved my chair as close to the supporting pole of my brollie to stay dryish. This was still two hours before the Met office forecast of 'dry' so wrong again chaps I'm afraid!!

Nothing spectacular on the catch front and although only a few reasonable roach slid over the net, it was a most enjoyable day on an empty water where conditions again tested my resolve to fish on. Oh, I had a couple of small tench as well...

ps For the record the rain continued to fall for my six hours at the water and has only just stopped at around 5pm so it didn't 'move north' as promised, neither quickly or slowly so if I go tomorrow I shall ignore the forecast and press on regardless like all good English fishermen do.........................................................................

nicepix

Reaction score
I did slightly better catching moles than fish. Just finished three garden jobs with a record tally, for me anyway, of 30 moles. :cool:

Shame I'm not on piece rate :D

slaphead

Reaction score
Had half a day on a club water, decent day with plenty of sunshine. Pity, the fish didn't want to come out and play.

Five fishing, all blanking. :eek:mg:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Nicepix....Without going into too much detail, what actually happens to all these moles you catch ?? I imagine they are 'dispatched' in some humane way - just a 'yes' answer to this will suffice - ( I have no wish to turn this into an 'issue' ) and that a licence is required to catch them...

Donkey's years ago I knew someone who used moleskin 'fur' to produce false eyelashes for the fashion industry but I think that practice was stopped by the 'cruelty' bods..

No big deal if you feel it prudent not to answer as I'm only mildly interested....if you get my drift!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes I agree, but Nicepix does it on a major scale, I mean 30 moles in a day sounds major to me..............unless he has limitless 'traps'....

I will have a look though..

nicepix

Reaction score
The traps I use are very efficient. There are loads of cheap traps on ebay, Amazon and in garden centers that range from barely adequate to useless, but a good trap will kill the mole immediately. The best traps are made not far from where Sam Vimes lives ;) I've got around 70 traps of three different types, each has its purpose.

Before WW2 over 4 million mole pelts were exported to the States to be used in the millinery trade. My old mate used to sell his skins to a firm of Jewish milliners based in London and got good money for them. There was also another use as plumber's wipes. These days, other than a shrinking trade for fly tying there is no use for the pelts so I dispose of them.

I didn't get 30 in a day. My routine is to place the traps on a Monday, check and re-set on a Wednesday and lift them on a Friday - job done. I average a fraction under 6 moles per garden, the majority being caught in the first two days. Last week there was a tremendous downpour after I had checked the traps on the Wednesday, around 50mm overnight, and so on the Friday instead of finishing the jobs I moved some traps to higher ground and left them over the weekend. That added another 8 to the total. I had also done a smaller garden job that was a wetter, low lying area and that is basically under water now so there was no need to leave any there.

One of the gardens belonged to the editor of the free newspaper distributed to ex-pats at airports and supermarkets, and 11 moles trapped in her garden might result in some extra business as word spreads :)

flightliner

Reaction score
Binka, "Somewhere something is still missing somewhere along the line", got it in one, you haven't painted your bank sticks in cammo colours.:wh

nicepix

Reaction score
Binka, "Somewhere something is still missing somewhere along the line", got it in one, you haven't painted your bank sticks in cammo colours.:wh

It could be the brolly, or the bank sticks. Maybe him wearing wellies and not bivvy slippers gave the game away? Personally, I reckon that the carpers ignored him once they saw the miniature forceps next to his camera :D

flightliner

Reaction score
Binka, you need all the best kit to keep up, have you tried upping your catch rate with the latest carp anglers must have, the all singing, all dancing tablet holder?.;)

greenie62

Reaction score
the all singing, all dancing tablet holder?.

I found them b--y useless - they couldn't even manage my 850mg Metformins - I suppose I'll just have to swallow them instead! :rolleyes:

B

binka

Binka, you need all the best kit to keep up, have you tried upping your catch rate with the latest carp anglers must have, the all singing, all dancing tablet holder?.;)

Hey up flighty :)

I'm not investing in anything else even remotely carpy I'm afraid, as you well know the mid-June pellet hatch is almost upon us on the rivers and anything else will only sit in the garage gathering dust until the next close season lol.

greenie62

Reaction score
Thanks Binka,:thumbs:
anything else will only sit in the garage gathering dust until the next close season lol.
:eek:mg: NOW I remember where I put my trout rod ! :eek:mg: