The River Keeper

B

binka

That has to be one of the best short films I've watched, a fantastic feature!

It goes to show that the rewards are there for the dedicated, I've often thought about kitting myself up for pike fly fishing and that looked amazing... Definitely something for the must do list.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What a great piece of footage and nothing like I expected having read the title.

Only goes to show what can be achieved in some truly terrible conditions though . . . . . . .

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Note: the above does NOT have to be done on southern chalkstreams and with top-end light tarpon / G.T. fly tackle to a pounding music soundtrack. Amazingly, over the past twenty years or so, I have had some very nice fly-caught pike from far less-exalted rivers, both large and small, on affordable tackle whilst wearing my everyday rags and Poundland-type sunglasses in blessed total silence. The pike didn't mind a bit; they launched themselves at my nicely tied flies, leapt, plunged and wallowed about a bit, sometimes even impressively, then went back with a "Thanks, Paul. Nice to be caught by a true predator.".

johnflyfish

Reaction score
With you on that one Paul. local canals do it for me and just as exciting.

jimlad

Reaction score
Brilliant video. Certainly makes me want to try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With you on that one Paul. local canals do it for me and just as exciting.

Yup. Picture this (a scene from 2013)

A Southern canal's "running pound", home to some chub, one very large barbel (previously caught a few years ago at 14-plus, on bait), one (for the water concerned) very nice Snapper.

7.30am, sun just hitting the fastish flow.

8-weight saltwater rod (good U.S. make, no names, no pack drill), cheapo big reel, floating line, seven-foot leader fronted by a few inches of wire, fly comprising plenty of foam at the front and a fair bit of a chicken behind.

One, square-ish, rollcast (and one cast only) out to the far bank followed by an immediate downstream mend of the line to form a belly that the central current would take and cause the floating fly to wake and skate.

Bow wave after three seconds. Wallop!

A lovely, well-marked, never previously caught Snapper of just under 15 pounds.

Home within the hour.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Superb! Loved every bit of it! Immediately after sending this I'm uploading an account of a fairly recent pike capture - not on a fly, but on a lump o' lunny!

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Wow, excellent video. Incredible marking on these clear water Pike. Must have a go at trying to catch one on a fly.

Stu