Whats the best meal----

barbelboi

Reaction score
Trout, straight out of an arctic stream in northern Norway in the summer of '68. Breakfast caught and cooked on the bank in minutes........................

PS do they taste better than barbel corky (yes, I know -don't tell him pike.............;))

Last edited:
B

binka

Pot Noodle!

No, seriously though my weekend fishing mate is a meat wholesaler and just around Christmas time he did a cracking bankside stew... can't remember what the meat was, might have been venison?

nicepix

Reaction score
Could have been this 'tatie hash........

with Yorkshire puddings........

Or possibly the Irish Stew...........

:)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Not on a riverbank but at a Carp lake, it was roast lamb, roasted potatoes, and carrots which was the first meal I cooked on the Cobb Oven after I bought it 2010.

I'd seen and heard about the one that an FM member (Greg I think it was) had and just had to get one. They are really an excellent piece of culinary kit:

Cobb GB

On the river bank I tend to re-heat frozen portions of home-made casseroles, stews and curry that I freeze in double portion sizes. I only ever once ate (well, had 2 spoons full actually) of a pot noodle before labeling them as totally unfit for human consumption. Those things are a blot on the landscape of the culinary arts!

Last edited:

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Never had a hot meal on the riverbank - about the most extravagant meal I have had is salmon sandwiches!!

flightliner

Reaction score
Mine happened a few winters back, arriving one very cold damp morning on a flooded river trent I had just started fishing a small often productive slack area near a laybye.
A car pulled up beside mine and an angler approached me saying he had come to specifically fish my swim. He was a bit upset so I said if he wanted too he could share the swim as there was nowhere else for him nearby.
An hour later up comes a white van and a guy gets out with a large insulated box and had a word with my near neighbour then leaving the box drives of,
Turns out the guy next to me was tiling a kitchen in a nearby pub with his mate and completing the work the previous day had both arranged to fish the following morning and the landlord had told them that when he saw them from the pub window fishing he would deliver them both a full english with hot tea bread etx.
My "new mates" mate had cried off on account of the bad weather and the landlord had mistaken me for the other guy.
Not wanting to see the food wasted he said to the tiler that I may like it.
It went down a treat! Best meal ever by a riverbank I ever had.
So, be nice, you never know!!!

mick b

Reaction score
Never had a hot meal on the riverbank - about the most extravagant meal I have had is salmon sandwiches!!

Same here.
Fires, cooking, etc are banned on the rivers I fish.

However some do provide bar-b-ques facilities, fishing huts and rod racks which is very civilised.

Perhaps try a grilled Brownie this summer.....second thoughts no I wont....ugh :eek:mg:

Did share a nice bottle of Claret with an angler I met on the bank a few years ago, cannot remember his name but the wine was superb :D

Reaction score
River Trent Fish-in a few years ago, shared with his lordship.

Lamb steaks marinaded in garlic, rosemary and olive oil - done on the BBQ along with BBQ courgette accompanied by spicey couscous. Washed down with a bottle of pinotage.

Having said that, bacon butties are always a winner when cooked outside.