South Cerney Waters

A

Alistair Campbell

I am looking to fish some of the south cerney waters, particulary Ham Pool and wondered if anyone on here has any experience of the water and can pass on any information?

Many thanks in advance.

C

Carp Angler

I've looked at their site previously
SCAC and found it quite informative.
I've not fished any of their waters for many, many years so I can't give you any other info, sorry.

D

Dai Gribble

I was looking for info. on SCAC recently and was somewhat put off by stories on another website of tackle thefts. Anyone got any more information regarding this.

A

Alistair Campbell

What website was this dai? I read the SCAC message board and there were reports of one or two thefts. But thats about all I can tell you. There are some good fish to be caught though.

C

Carp Angler

I knew that Wick Water was supposed to be a bit dodgy, but I thought that it was OK now.

N

Neil White

I've just been to join South Cerney Angling Club and nothing was mentioned about any tackle thefts. I was also talking to another carp angler and he didn't mentioned anything either. I would just take it with a pinch of salt or if you are worried get in touch with the clubhouse, who I'm sure would be able to clarify this for you.

D

Dai Gribble

The other website with stories of thefts was Fishing Warehouse - try searching their Carp water forum. I had a look at the waters yesterday - didn't grab me - look like you'd need a campaign rather than occasional sessions.

Anthony Nash

Reaction score
South Cerney AC have got some ace waters . Ham pool is a very nice water with some big carp to over thirty pounds in.But it ain,t easy. the club seems to want to make it shallower so they are having hardcore tipped into the lake by the clubhouse .Make of that what you will. Wickwater is the one that most people fish for carp with fish to nearly forty. But again it ain,t easy. Iknow that there were some tackle thefts there last year. Also there was a female visitor doing the rounds to perk you up.!!!
Lake 26 is massive at 120 acres. There are some whackers in ther to upper thirties but this is a headbangers water though there have been some fish out lately to 29. Hope this is some help.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
"Also there was a female visitor doing the rounds to perk you up.!!!"

What you mean to cast your rods, bait up your'e swims and do the brekky?

sounds great!

Anthony Nash

Reaction score
That would be fantastic Stuart. But she was more of the tickle your fancy sort. I happened to mention this to my wife after a conversation i had with some carping mates in the pub. Her comment was "why would anyone want to do that with a smelly carp angler"

P

Paul Williams

Rik aint smelly!!...what am i saying! yes he is!!! Hey Rik looks like you could score big time!!!!

S

Simon Webster

I, and some friends used to day fish South Cerney a lot, in my formative teenage years... for tench- and still remember a golden session on Ham Pool when I couldnt' get a second rod rigged up- for 6h I had a fish a cast- after 'd filled my first keepnet with about 20 of them (I was a callow youth then), I gave up, returned the lot, and continued until I was knackered- about 80 of them... and have never used a keepnet since then. Every now and again we got smashed up by Carp, but then we weren't interested in them! My recollection of the waters were that in quite a number of them, you could drive your car upto your spot, so no problem with damage, thefts etc, but I guess times have changed. One of the things we did see in our tench fishing exploits, were large numbers of Carp basking on the (very weedy) bars, and in the early morning, in some of the little bays on Wick- although these might not exist now. Looking back on this I'm amazed and a little depressed that we didn't consider fishing for them- We just watched, and many of them were upper 20's!.The other thing we used to do was to fish for the Rudd- There are some absolutely enormous ones there- although the largest we caught, on floating crust were about 2lb. Oh well, I guess times have changed now- there certainly weren't any visiting women! Might go back there this summer.... Simon

C

Chris Bishop

I fished Wick around 78 - 79 when they turned it from a trout lake into a coarse lake. Saw my first 20 caught there by a guy called Keith Pinchin, still picture it today, that fish did a lot to inspire a young lad.