Beneath Contempt

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I don't know how many fisheries throughout the country are ripping people off. Perhaps some of you on here could enlighten me?

I have in mind two waters not a million miles from me here in Sheffield. On one of these the current bailiff is perpetuating the myth of recently caught huge pike, often claiming to have wittnessed the weighing, ''cobblers''. A friend recently challenged the said bailiff in no uncertain terms, only to be told,''there are some good fish present, but I was told by my superiors that revenue was down, and we needed desperate measures to renew the waters former reputation'', ''despicable''.

The other water in question uses equally despicable tactics by informing visiting anglers that only recently has the water been restocked with fish up to thirty odd pounds! again cobblers. Another friend just happened to have played a part in the collection and transportation of those fish to this current venue, and confirms ''cobblers''. How much of this is happening around the country, it can't just be my neck of the woods surely.

Anyone know?

E

EC

It's been happening for years mate!

Sadly, some of those who make money from their fisheries will say or doanything to get a few more anglers on the bank!

slime monster

Reaction score
fisheries throughout the land proclaim roach to 2 lb plus ...doubtful in most cases

bream to 9lb......one such fish caught years ago

some small commercial fisheriey owners have no real idea of the correct depth of the water never mind what swims in it.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Yeah, I know Ed, that same authority threatened to ban me off the fishery sixteen years ago for refusing to reveal my catches to the then bailiff.

Trying to tell visiting anglers the truth about the place usually results in them thinking that you want to keep them away. No win situation eh?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Over the last ten years I have been drawn to still waters or stretches of river that have been producing "lots of 2 lbs roach".

When you get there, the roach are typically 1lb to 1 1/2lbs in weight. Not that I am against such fish don't get me wrong, a pound roach is a superb fish.

No, when you weigh them, they go 1lb 5oz or thereabouts.

Philip

Reaction score
Actually I can think of several examples of the opposite situation and waters that are supposed to hold nothing special suddenly start producing whacking great fish. I think we sometimes underestimate what some of our waters hold.

Although I sympathize with anglers who feel they are being conned I don’t really have a big issue with fisheries claiming this that and whatever, maybe because I am a bit of a skeptic and I basically don’t believe anything anyone tells me till I see it with my own eyes anyway.

Also it has to be said that a good monster story gets the juices flowing even if its cobblers most of the time, plus after a while you begin to get a sense for obvious BS and what might have a grain of truth worth following up.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote>
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Derek Gibson wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I don't know how many fisheries throughout the country are ripping people off. Perhaps some of you on here could enlighten me?

I have in mind two waters not a million miles from me here in Sheffield. On one of these the current bailiff is perpetuating the myth of recently caught huge pike, often claiming to have wittnessed the weighing, ''cobblers''. A friend recently challenged the said bailiff in no uncertain terms, only to be told,''there are some good fish present, but I was told by my superiors that revenue was down, and we needed desperate measures to renew the waters former reputation'', ''despicable''.

The other water in question uses equally despicable tactics by informing visiting anglers that only recently has the water been restocked with fish up to thirty odd pounds! again cobblers. Another friend just happened to have played a part in the collection and transportation of those fish to this current venue, and confirms ''cobblers''. How much of this is happening around the country, it can't just be my neck of the woods surely.

Anyone know?</blockquote>

Derick

One of those wouldn't be a place near a pub called "The Pebbly Inn" just out side Killamarsh would it?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Slime Monster, your take on this thread is almost the same as mine, except that in this instance the deception is deliberate not ignorance! sorry for the delay P.M. going ballistic

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi Phillip, I agree with much of what you say. Nontheless I have much sympathy for anglers having travelled up to a hundred miles to have what they consider a crack at the fish of a lifetime. Especially these days what with the cost of fuel. Officials ''should'' have some integrity, if not to me it's a rip off!!

Morespiders

Reaction score
A few years ago, three friends and myself went to fish ShatterfordLakes for the catfish.

After 3 days and no catfish we went home thinking we were useless, lots of carp no cats.

5 months later at a Carp society show I went on the catfish conservation stand, talking to the bloke on there he told me.

The catfish were netted out 12 months earlier and sold/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

At least my credibility was still intact

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Derek

Not sure of the other fishery ?? not the one known by the initial that arean anagram of SJK??

The one I'm right on is the "Big pike" water - not sure about the stockingof "Big Carp" though

I was also told by one of the bailiffs at the 1st wayer that they had stocked over 200 carp some upto high 20s about 3 years ago - but they seem to have disappered - but every so often a report goes round that a big fishhas come out - the chap who runs the water used to own a tackle shop in the next village and was contantly claiming to be able to get tackle you wanted but the supplier always failed to deliver - my brother- in -law is still waiting for a section of pole he ordered from there

tinca steve

Reaction score
Can beat most of what has been said. A certain very well known Sussex match water had emptied one of its waters for maintenance - had refilled with water but had not had thetime to put the fish back in and allowed a prebooked match to be fished on it. NO FISH CAUGHT !!

Reaction score
M'lud...is that the water where we dangled a line.....those fish may be of size but have been caught by large handed folk like myself....causing perceived diminution in expectation whch is really an ocular oddity.

(Or as Derek points out they are being deceptive - possibly illegally so - although it would be a devil to prove!)

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Mi Lud, I know of the carp water you mention, didn't believe it then, don't believe it now The other water let's call ''Thermos'' there you are an easy one.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Got it Derek - a well know Dam /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

poshers - the water we fished there has been a bit of enlarging of fish shall we say but not but the owner of bailiffs to my knowledge - though the odd angler has told me he's caught 2lb roach there by the dozen

Tis true though a 16.5lb carp in poshers hands looks 6.5lb - how the right up coming along sir?

W

Wolfman Woody

Been going on in sea angling since Jesus had a bash at fishing.

Skippers used to say "Should have been here last week. They were climbing in the boat."

At Bridlington once, the skipper said "Through the week it was crazy, 7-800lbs of fish a boat." until our Jack piped up from the back and said "Well, I've been here all week and no bugger's caught that much to my knowledge."

Usual excuse "Oh, it might have been the week before then."

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Anyone reading some of the replies on this thread cannot fail to be disgusted by the antics of certain fishery owners. I am sure this represents only the tip of the iceberg. Let's see what follows, however we stack it the fact remains, it borders on criminal!!!

Deanos

Reaction score
Oh thats right...kick the poor northern fisher folk when they are down.

I was at Bridlington a couple of weeks ago Woody, and you could get six...yes SIX crab sticks for 50p!....so somebody is catching.

I would not be suprised if some of those "toff" Southern anglers hired a trawler, pinched most of the fish...then let them go in the sea down south...it makes perfect sense to me.

Go to Cleethorpes if you dont like Bridlington...then you will be sorry!

B

Bill Cox

A commercial near me regularly every two years sells on his bigger stock and restocks with small stuff. Never lets on to his customers though.