New Season New Tackle

robtherake

Reaction score
Just got a couple of birthday rods, both from the Browning Commercial King range. The 10ft F1 float rod and the 8ft 3-8lb wand. Both feel great in the hand and I can't wait to put a bend in them. :)

Going to try the Korum grub feeders - I like the idea of being able to clip a popped-up bait on top of them - bet they're brilliant over a bed of bait.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok chaps, what new bits of kit do you have your eye on for the new season?

The Trout season is well underway down here so I've already stocked up on some new flies and new lines for my reels.

Seeing as how today is the worst weather that we have had for many weeks I think a little "retail therapy" in my local tackle shop might be called for.

Only 19 days it go to the Glorious Sixteenth

sagalout

Reaction score
I keep looking but can't see anything I need. I got money burning a hole in me pocket having had a successful clear out from the fishing shed to ebay. I seem to have settled on the ways I fish so unless something breaks I don't need new gear except for the consumables.

B

binka

Can't say there's really much I need/want at the moment, I've just bought a pair of bite alarms and bobbins and have my eye out for a particular rod but can't honestly say I need it.

I'm well stocked up on consumables having been dipping in the last few weeks... hooks, line, swivels, rig tube, beads, quick clips etc etc and surprising how you can get through a fair bit of cash on these little things.

I think my biggest outlay will be on bait as soon as the rivers open but i'll be trying to keep that pegged back if I can (except for the first week as I have the whole week off work and will be spending rather a lot of time on there so it doesn't count... and I won't be counting ;)).

Reaction score
Ding Ding............

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

Pavlov is sat in a bar having a pint when the last orders bell rings.

He quickly stands up and shouts, "sh1t, I forgot to feed the dog!"

nicepix

Reaction score
Have already stocked up on some braid line ready for the catfish season. Am now looking for a bait caster reel and small spinning rod mainly for chub, black bass and trout spinning. I need something smaller than my ABU 6500C but with enough guts to handle any double figure catfish that might take the lure.

nicepix

Reaction score
Well, there's the thing. Because the two ABU reels I have were made in Sweden whereas their baitcaster reels are now made elsewhere. Good ol' American Penns are fabricated in China and even Shimano are outsourcing their reels to Malaysia. Thankfully there are independent websites run by anglers who actually use tackle rather than just buy it to help me make a decision.

Reaction score
You haven't really answered my question have you? Will you be buying a brand name or will you buy a generic or cheap model from Aldi?

I'm confused. Why would anglers on a website buy tackle just to help you make a decision?

nicepix

Reaction score
You haven't really answered my question have you? Will you be buying a brand name or will you buy a generic or cheap model from Aldi?

I'm confused. Why would anglers on a website buy tackle just to help you make a decision?

I think you are getting the wrong end of the stick. Or pie. The brand name issue I was referring to was in relation to pork pies whereby you can buy perfectly good pies from local butchers or bakers, but they come without the high price and bragging rights of the famous names. If you know of any unbranded baitcaster reels that are as good as the names I mentioned please do tell.

Product reviews by people who are not sponsored by any particular company, and who give detailed information based on their usage of it are likely to be more reliable than a recommendation from a sponsored angler, or some Walt who was asking basic questions one minute and telling everybody what to buy the next IMO.

flightliner

Reaction score
I was also thinking of obtaining one of the free carp videos that are on most tackle shop counters these days as it would be nice to catch up with all the latest terminology, Munga, spod the granny out of it, I mean, it must be included to help me catch more carp -- er- sorry - carps!.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Will you be buying a brand name or will you buy a generic or cheap model from Aldi?

SWMBO has just replaced my brolly and Shakespeare stool with Aldi alternatives, at a cost of............................................£30. The stool and backpack do exactly what they say on the label, I will advise on the brolly as soon as I've used it

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I've been fishing from platforms a fair bit lately and have treated myself to an extendible arm and back rest for my Daddy longlegs chair and it works a treat, no more 5ft bankstick and balancing the butt on a tackle bag for me.

It all works a treat, but when I added up the cost of all the brackets and bits and bobs it came to nearly the price of the bloody chair.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
and balancing the butt on a tackle bag for me.

. . . . erm, why not just sit on the chair instead then?

[insert smiley thing > > > HERE]

---------- Post added at 08:00 ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 ----------

I spent a couple of hours yesterday visiting the two tackle shops that I use, one in Downton the other in Ringwood.

Now, as a self-confessed Tackle Tart I can usually quite easily find something to swipe the plastic for, and yet, after a couple of hours I really found nothing that "attracted me" at all.

Is their a plateau of Tartness, and have I reached it i wondered?

Suitable concerned and beginning to be worried I drove up to Stockbridge and sought refuge in the Orvis shop.

Once inside, thankfully, a spare spool for my #5 reel, two new lines and a nice new Brodin Catch and Release Net cured the tartiness pangs . . . . . . . . .

I was beginning to get quite concerned there for a while I can tell you . . . . . .