The Problem

john hooper

Reaction score
my problem, old estate lake, very shallow(max 2 feet), very clear, very low carp stock( 1/2 dozen large fish, best 25?ish).These fish have probably never been caught and so far this seasonhavn't shown any inclination to change this situation.

What tactics would you suggest, i'm fed up with feeding the ducks and morhens.

john

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Just keep trickling the bait in. Don't tell, or let anybody see you though.

GertR

Reaction score
Hi John.

I have been fishing 2 waters recently where the one is exactly the same story very shalow. I cannot even do a overnighter there due to safety reasons. Have been prebaiting with maize and fishing maize hookbaits. Can't say the fishing has been easy due to this but had some up to 32 pounds never been caught. And learnt to blank with dignity.

I would say look at MAIZE.

Hope this helps.

W

will spencer

if they haven't seen a bait what bait do you use?

i'd start with naturals.worms,maggots.etc see how you get on and then try sweetcorn luncheon meat or even bread

paul tant

Reaction score
is the lake very silty ?

loads of maggots , a mix of dead , and live maggots/squats ,

sweetcorn as a back up .

Morespiders

Reaction score
Mr Hooper, if its never been fished before, find a bank where they are cruising near in and sit there with a loaf of uncut bread, rod at the ready 10lb line,size 6-8 carp hook, pinch of heavy metal 12ins from the hook, bait upcast in 1-3 rod lenghts out

Get your catapult and fire thumbnail peices of flake in 10-15 peices no more, fishing close in the ducks and coots wont come near, if they do, just wave your hat at them, stay down and concealed. Dont wave your hand ,they will think your feeding them/forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

I personally think you will get more pleasure catching this method than fishing boilies.

Alternativly use a light quill still with a pinch of heavy metal,

Try sweetcorn as well.

But for godsake dont go down the road of filling the bloody place in.

Use a bit of finesse/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

If this fails, fill the place in, and take your chances.

B

Bill Cox

Put out a bed of scolded maggots and fish corn or bread over the top. Put out a few pints every couple of days once they start to find them, then when they are feeding on them regularly fish over the top. Patience and stealth is whats needed here, not filling the place in./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

B

Bill Cox

alternatively, dynamite will get them on the bank./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif Better than spanked maggots lol

B

Bill Cox

You have to do it on mass as individually would take to long./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

john hooper

Reaction score
tried the particle route with sweetcorn but the ducks can see it on the bottom and you cannot keep them away, plus the main population of the lake is thousands of small roach which rag your hookbait continually, would make dead maggotts a non starter i would think.

john

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Rancid hemp? Roach are only "supposed " to like it fresh, carp like it disgusting. "White fungal mat on top, open the pot and fall back retching and gasping for air" - type disgusting. Darkly low-vis for ducks - possibly feed it in with a bait dropper,so the ducks don't see you throwing anything in...a few big halibut pellets...switch baits between hemp-on-bogey* and pellet?

The Kryston product, natch (never know who might be reading).

B

Bully

I'd definitely try.......another lake?

Have you tried raking and stiring up the bottom? One of my club lakes is very low and clear, and a rake before dawn often does the trick.........or did when I used to be able to get out and fish /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

O The Pro

Reaction score
what i would do is bait up at night using dark coloured boillies on a couple of likely looking areas. if you can take a day to locate the carp and find the regular patrol routes then go back late at night. once they start eating the bait then it should be game on.

good luck!