Steelhead

barbelboi

Reaction score
Great write up Geoff, take care mate - not quite as warm as Hay last year then.............;)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I guess it's similar Skippy, as a boat is required for both methods - but a hotshot is hammering on the river bottom like a hard feeding roach over a bed of hemp whereas harling is just trailing a fly (or lure) in the water. Neither are what you would call purist methods. A quick google however tells me Georgina Ballentine's record salmon was caught by harling, something I never knew before.

nicepix

Reaction score
Great read Geoff. Sounds like a hectic trip.

I love the steelhead stories as told by Zane Grey. They were more leisurely affairs though.

P.s. I was under the impression that Miss Ballantine hooked the salmon on a dace rather than a lure of fly, but as you say, it was trolled or harled from a boat.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I guess it's similar Skippy, as a boat is required for both methods - but a hotshot is hammering on the river bottom like a hard feeding roach over a bed of hemp whereas harling is just trailing a fly (or lure) in the water. Neither are what you would call purist methods. A quick google however tells me Georgina Ballentine's record salmon was caught by harling, something I never knew before.

I suppose it rather depends on how superior people want [ or need] to feel, Geoff...and that is often linked how much they've paid for the fishing.Personally,I have no qualms about using any legal method though ,of course, I'd rather be on the fly.

I mentioned the harling thing because I thought that hotshot plug was not unlike a Kynoch Killer which I believe is a recognised harling lure. Just curious really. I've salmon fished from a boat with lures and there is a real art to the way the boat is handled to put the angler over the lies.

laguna

Reaction score
A good read Geoff!
Cured salmon eggs are very popular in the states for steelhead but as you say; illegal here in the UK, luckily we now have what you see in my avatar - just as effective if not better.
Stunning fish by the way Geoff, really! :w

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
A good read Geoff!
Cured salmon eggs are very popular in the states for steelhead but as you say; illegal here in the UK, luckily we now have what you see in my avatar - just as effective if not better.
Stunning fish by the way Geoff, really! :w

Yes - I've been wanting to try them since seeing Will's review.