Maize v Corn

Old Wanderer

Reaction score
Much higher score @ scrabble /forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

otherwise, sorry, don't know!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Maize and corn are basically the same plant.

Never confuse corn with wheat, they are different.

Sweetcorn is a variety of maize which is harvested when the grain is soft. It is often called "Corn on the cob". Ripe maize has a grain that is hard which is then crushed or even milled to make maize meal - a staple food in many parts of the world, particularly Africa and central America.

Reaction score
Ron

I thought that was the case.

So what is ground up to make corn flour then?

PS Why would I confuse corn with wheat?

PPS Never confuse your hat with your shoes when you get up.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I am not saying you would confuse corn and wheat, but I have known some people, especially those in Yorkshire get confused.

There are various grades of maize meal, it's called mealie meal in most parts of Africa by the way. White maize meal is the centre of the grain, yellow is the whole grain.

Yellow maize meal porridge makes a nice breakfast dish, white maize meal is eaten with gravey and meat at a typical South African braaivleis.

B

Bill Cox

This may sound like a daft question(probably is) but what prompted your question in the first place? is it any way fishing related? knowing your fasinantion for all things pooey it was probably prompted by you rooting around in your turds./forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Bill Bill Bill

Now do you really think I go routing round in my turds with an old loly stick and then after some time end up in a quandry such as, "hmm, what's that yellow thing? Oo, it looks like piece of corn. OR IS IT? What if it's a bit of maize? How did it get there? WHat did I eat yesterday? What is maize? It's just corn isn't it? Well there's only one way to clear this up.......

WELL?

C

Cakey

when I had my carp I fed them both and noticed one big difference which stop me using maize

sweet corn was eaten and the next day they would poo the skins out

with maize the next day they poo'ed it out whole then eat it again ,took nearly a week before it dissappeared

B

Bill Cox

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Bill Bill Bill

Now do you really think I go routing round in my turds with an old loly stick and then after some time end up in a quandry such as, "hmm, what's that yellow thing? Oo, it looks like piece of corn. OR IS IT? What if it's a bit of maize? How did it get there? WHat did I eat yesterday? What is maize? It's just corn isn't it? Well there's only one way to clear this up.......

WELL?</blockquote>
I think your answer proves my point Matt, and anyway i think a healthy interest in your poo is perfectly acceptable, you carry on prodding your logs mate./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
See...I was right....the good folk of Trafford Park religiously shave their corns every Friday just before their fish supper and subsequent 4 pints of Wilsons. Ah such simple joys of the working class.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"when I had my carp I fed them both and noticed one big difference which stop me using maize

sweet corn was eaten and the next day they would poo the skins out

with maize the next day they poo'ed it out whole then eat it again ,took nearly a week before it dissappeared"

Wouldn't that make maizethe better groundbait, then? More bites at each cherry, so to speak?