The Carless Angler Thread

nicepix

Reaction score
Following on from the discussion about travelling to venues and the hassle of motorway hold ups and traffic congestion in general; it set me thinking about how anglers without their own transport go on?

I know that when I was a kid we used to walk everywhere and a six mile round trip to the Res' or Paper Mill Dam was a regular feature. In spring we would catch the 4:30am first bus to Huddersfield and then walk about two miles from Penistone to Scout Dyke Res to go trout fishing. Getting a 50cc moped at 16 was a revelation as I could then ride 35 miles up the A1 to Collingham and Boston Spa to fish the Wharfe.

I couldn't imagine being able to fish many places without a car these days. It certainly would be a big handicap especially for coarse fishermen who tend to take more tackle and bait.

dangermouse

Reaction score
I suppose it depends how much fishing you have nearby and on your health. The last 2 years I`ve had to walk everywhere but I`m quite lucky in having the canal and a stretch of the Don very close and a couple of ponds that are 30-45 minutes away. Definitely not fun walking to to my club pond with a heavy rucksack, holdall and chair though so I used to try and cut down on tackle as much as possible. Also made it a lot of effort to go for short sessions.

I have a car now though so my options have opened up a great deal.

greenie62

Reaction score
For the first 25yrs of my fishing life I was 'carless' - relying on public transport - not always easy with all the coarse gear - and also angling chums who generally shared a taste in waters and species.
Being a 'Carless Angler' teaches you the value of friendship!
I now sometimes feel sorry for those who go fishing by themselves - in their own transport - and never know the value of angling friendship that has been 'forced' on those less fortunate!

naxian62

Reaction score
I'm carless. I cycle to my venues with the help of the train when possible. Rods strapped to the cross bar and one of those ruckbags on my back. As i've said on other threads I'm constantly looking to cut down on the weight of gear.
Just in the middle of getting myself an ultralight lure set up for when the rivers open. Should be perfect with the bike.
But more than the luxury of a car I would love to have a buddy to share experiences with, discuss tactics, start pre-baiting programs etc.

derwentbob

Reaction score
I have been carless for most of my life due to sight problems. Fortunately I have a good variety of ponds just over an hour's walk away and a reasonable bus service to a few more. It isn't so bad but it needs a bit of discipline not to try taking everything and the kitchen sink. I know another guy locally who wheels his carp barrow loaded with bivvying gear about the same distance (4-5 miles), I sometimes pass him with a cheery wave while I haul my single 9' rod, net, mat and lure bag to the waterside :wh

nicepix

Reaction score
It is interesting to know that there are still those who can manage to get some fishing without a car. It really must depend entirely on where you are, but even then it has to entail missing out if the weather is too bad to walk to the venue.

I used to live not too far from Dangermouse and whilst surrounded by some great fishing would have struggled to do much at all without a car. Here in rural France I could probably manage to walk or cycle to a couple of commercial ponds and a small river but would miss out on the best of the local fishing.

Interestingly Greenie's post about the social side of travelling together is something that I believe is partly responsible for the lack of young anglers. Going fishing on the coach to a club match was a real social occasion. Car sharing for me though is too much of a compromise and I couldn't imagine borrowing a car from a friend, family or loved one working out. It's not like popping down to the shop. You could be gone hours and then there is the bait, mud, slime and all the other things that a non-angler wouldn't understand is an essential part of fishing.

flightliner

Reaction score
When a youngster it was a pushbike for me to the north side of sheffields fringe stillwaters. Later with a wage and more tackle it was buses, coach and train but by late teens
I had a moterbike which opened up the fens where public transport wouldnt go.
Cars came in my twenties and have been since.
I never had anywhere near enough to walk to and feared that when older I would maybe be denied any fishing at all but was fortunate to be offered my presant address as a privates sale, I now have a local commercial some fifteen minutes walk away that I said I would use when travelling became to much of an effort.
Not my first choice of venue but hey, theres a great bunch of local "veterans" known as the "The pram lads" who all walk down to the water together with all their gear in prams--- so maybe in years to come I will become one of them and the question of transport will have turned full circle---:wh

terry m

Reaction score
This thread made me reflect on the different stages of transport evolution throughout my fishing life.
Initially cycling, rod on cross bar and seatbox over shoulder. The trips home were always tougher.
Then the 50cc moped, wow, what a revelation. The 10 mile distance limit was tripled overnight whilst the effort input decreased.
Then the 'proper' motorcycle, a 250cc Suzuki back then. The distance again doubled, seatbox now on the rear rack and holdall, brolly, rods over the shoulder. Night fishing was easy, although these were pre-bivvy days and a brolly was the shelter.
Then to a car, another big wow. Distance was only limited by the petrol budget, kit only limited by the amount you could cram into the car, and trips with friends became the norm.
The next stage of evolution, that incidentally I have not made, is the ubiquitous white van. I am amazed by the number of anglers that use vans simply to be able to fill with even more kit.

What next?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well if you live in France you have the benefit of those awfull 2CVs, you just roll the roof back, and hey presto! good for carrying eggs across a ploughed field too, apparently :)

nicepix

Reaction score
This thread made me reflect on the different stages of transport evolution throughout my fishing life.
Initially cycling, rod on cross bar and seatbox over shoulder. The trips home were always tougher.
Then the 50cc moped, wow, what a revelation. The 10 mile distance limit was tripled overnight whilst the effort input decreased.
Then the 'proper' motorcycle, a 250cc Suzuki back then. The distance again doubled, seatbox now on the rear rack and holdall, brolly, rods over the shoulder. Night fishing was easy, although these were pre-bivvy days and a brolly was the shelter.
Then to a car, another big wow. Distance was only limited by the petrol budget, kit only limited by the amount you could cram into the car, and trips with friends became the norm.
The next stage of evolution, that incidentally I have not made, is the ubiquitous white van. I am amazed by the number of anglers that use vans simply to be able to fill with even more kit.

What next?

Didn't have a problem with the petrol budget Terry. Honda SS50, four speed moped - 30mph flat out and almost 200 miles to the gallon. I could get to work, 14 miles away four days a week and then still have enough petrol left for a trip up to the Wharfe.

Later on I had a Honda 70cc step thru and killed it coming back from the Trent riding a 30mph tail wind flat out. The big end seized up the next day. But in between I got a BSA 250 C15 that had already been equipped for fishing by the previous owner - two fibreglass panniers and a top rack.

Happy days :)

p.s. Don't you have Citroen 2CVs in England? I'm sure I saw some when I was there and as they say; "Second class riding is better than first class walking." :wh

john step

Reaction score
This is 2nd time I have had a go at a reply to this thread as what I am trying to say may make me a bit Victor Meldrew but it needs to be said. If you are transportless and use other anglers cars is it welcomed by the car owner? I think it mostly is but I have met a couple of odd bods over the years who seem to think it is their right to be ferried about and only grudgingly hand over their share of the fuel cost.
One in particular has run out of lifts now due to his demanding and tight wad attitude. He doesn't own a car for any age or medical reason just " why should I when I can get a lift". By not owning a car there is an enormous saving on running costs which he is saving.
There...I await the mortars!

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Didn't have a problem with the petrol budget Terry. Honda SS50, four speed moped - 30mph flat out and almost 200 miles to the gallon. I could get to work, 14 miles away four days a week and then still have enough petrol left for a trip up to the Wharfe.

Later on I had a Honda 70cc step thru and killed it coming back from the Trent riding a 30mph tail wind flat out. The big end seized up the next day. But in between I got a BSA 250 C15 that had already been equipped for fishing by the previous owner - two fibreglass panniers and a top rack.

Happy days :)

p.s. Don't you have Citroen 2CVs in England? I'm sure I saw some when I was there and as they say; "Second class riding is better than first class walking." :wh

2CV brilliant motor car , I still remember the first time i tried to change a wheel on one and found the jack was way way too low :eek:mg: since then had almost nothing but citroen's on the ninth so far ..

And as for the C15 the mobile oil slick we used to call them but great fun all the same ..

The Sogster

Reaction score
I've never bothered learning to drive even having had 30 years in which to do so (since the age of 17).

I travel mostly on public transport the furthest I have to walk with tackle is to my club ponds which takes about 40 minutes from the destination bus stop, the biggest downside is time to travel there which takes about another 45 minutes.

The river sections for my club are however no further than 10 minutes on foot from the destination bus stop.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Initially it was the '6am 'workmans special' out of Finsbury Park Stn in the 50's to get to the Ouse at St Neots etc or bus and tube to the Regents Park canal via Camden Town Stn. The walks either end were tough but nothing stopped me doing it most weekends...

I didn't 'do' bikes but instead went straight into cars with a 1936 Austin 12 my first transport, bought from an (older!) girlfriend for £11 in 1960(ish). Always needed cranking and electrics failures meant no driving after dark, but it got me and an 80 year old chap to the bank with room to spare......Rain meant working the windscreen wipers by hand and handling was a bit dicey over 60mph on the A1 up to Stevenage for dances!!
Oh, it also had red leather seats so offered plenty of scope for 'writhings' with the girlfriend of the moment!!

Went onto a luxurious Austin A55 which was a great car and then a Morris 1000....

I have to admire anyone who manages our sport without transport - shows proper dedication to me...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Since the age of 17½ I have never been "car-less" and couldn't even imagine not owning and driving one.

One or two of my cars have been less than useful for my fishing being small sports cars, but these days I can enjoy both a large comfortable day-to-day car as well as my little weekend toy being my MGF Trophy 160.

At a pinch I have room in the MG for my Trout fishing kit but little else to be honest. But, having a mid engine mounting you get both a front and a rear "boot" as well . . . . . . . . . .

The best story I ever read about an angler who always got a lift to the match was years ago in a DH publication.

This chap was in the habit of falling asleep on the return journey which used to pi$$ off the driver.

So, one evening when he got to the chap's home he positioned the car by a wall and then proceeded to hammer the accelerator and lean on the horn and flash his headlights, which, made the chap wake up whence upon he thought they were in an accident and apparently actually wet himself . . . . . . . .

barbelboi

Reaction score
p.s. Don't you have Citroen 2CVs in England? I'm sure I saw some when I was there and as they say; "Second class riding is better than first class walking."

I believe that new EU regulations have stopped the French dumping their old prams over here.........................;)

nicepix

Reaction score
p.s. Don't you have Citroen 2CVs in England? I'm sure I saw some when I was there and as they say; "Second class riding is better than first class walking."

I believe that new EU regulations have stopped the French dumping their old prams over here.........................;)

You wouldn't believe the number of old French 'prams' still on the road out here. Every morning there is a classic car rally outside every boulangerie in France :D

flightliner

Reaction score
BBB, re the french dumping their old "prams"over her -- Dammit, bang goes my future trek with my gear to the local commie.

nicepix

Reaction score
2CV brilliant motor car , I still remember the first time i tried to change a wheel on one and found the jack was way way too low :eek:mg: since then had almost nothing but citroen's on the ninth so far ..

And as for the C15 the mobile oil slick we used to call them but great fun all the same ..

I have owned three Citroen cars and my current camper has a C25T engine under the bonnet. The two XMs were brilliant, but the Xantia was a disaster. Most unreliable car I have ever owned.

I've been looking for a C15 or the Renault equivalent for fishing and my mole trapping work to save using the car. To say how many they are on the road and their age there are precious few available for sale, especially with less than 300k on the clock. And they go for a lot of money.