fishing overseas

chav professor

Reaction score
Has anyone had an overseas fishing trip that met expectations? The dream would be challenging fishing, culture and wilderness... always fancied India... Mahseer.... perhaps African tiger fish.

Is it possible to achieve an authentic exotic fishing trip without being burdened with over commercialization?

Its the dream.... but is it possible to make it a reality?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"... I've had a few, but then again too few to mention..."

I blame it on cars.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Feel you may have seen the 'cream' of it..... the danger in dreaming is you may wake up to a pale imitation.

As I said to all-round petrolhead and good guy, J. Clarkson, only last week:

"I couldn't possibly comment ... if I told you, I'd have to....."

The funeral's next Thursday.

mick b

Reaction score
Went on an all-in package holiday to a US owned resort in Mexico, all beach beds and sun shades made of palm leaves :eek:mg:

Took along my Shakey tele-spin, got up with the sun and slayed the Bonefish until the bronzed bodies arrived, then spent the rest of the day in my hammock eating fresh mangoes :D

Nice but not perfect :cool:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Feel you may have seen the 'cream' of it..... the danger in dreaming is you may wake up to a pale imitation.

Still plenty of it out there up for grabs Christian but it's not for the two-week tourist. It takes a lot of time, dedication and especially local knowledge to find 'virgin' fishing

chrissh

Reaction score
i lived in turkey for 12 years and there are some good river & lake fishing for big carp, pike, perch, trout.
pike ,perch, trout , on spinner & lures
you will need to take your own bait and tackle for carp as the Turks wont fish for any fresh water fish as they can't eat them they only go sea fishing
the best time to go is September when the weather starts to cool down (still in the 80s)
there are boats for hire on the bigger lake for 60tlr for 24 hours (3tlr=£1)
B&B for 2 30-40tlr per night also no some of the big lake there are camp sites

nicepix

Reaction score
i lived in turkey for 12 years and there are some good river & lake fishing for big carp, pike, perch, trout.
pike ,perch, trout , on spinner & lures
you will need to take your own bait and tackle for carp as the Turks wont fish for any fresh water fish as they can't eat them they only go sea fishing
the best time to go is September when the weather starts to cool down (still in the 80s)
there are boats for hire on the bigger lake for 60tlr for 24 hours (3tlr=£1)
B&B for 2 30-40tlr per night also no some of the big lake there are camp sites

I think there is a lot of fishing to explore in Turkey and mainland Greece that never comes onto the UK angler's radar.

Similarly in Cyprus there are huge dams containing channel catfish, large mouthed bass and huge carp. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't carp to 80lb+ in the larger dams. The problem with the Cypriot dams is working out how to access them as there are vast areas you can only reach by 4x4 or off-road motorbike and only then with a fair bit of research and time spent searching the myriad of small tracks. Look at three maps of Cyprus and they will all be different :confused: You need to spend time looking for fishing places and then go back at the optimum times. I would guess it would be the same in Turkey and Greece.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The upper Gambia river for Tigerfish in the early 80's before tourism took off – talk about going back in time and certainly an unforgettable experience..........

simon dunbar

Reaction score
I have had enjoyed my trips abroad. I went to the Cauvery in December 2008 , before the ban. It wasn't over commercialized , went with four other anglers and they were the only anglers I saw during my trip. Loved it .
Went to KRS reservoir in India last year , fishing a 30 plus mile reservoir with only one other angler. Saw a small group of Indian fishermen in coracles off in the distance each morning but that was it. Loved it.
Went to the Fraser in B.C. at the start of May one year , saw a few anglers on the saturday , during the week rarely saw another boat and the scenery is stunning. Loved it.
No pioneering stuff but some outstanding fishing in outstanding scenery !!!

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I guess the same thing applies to these fishing wildernessees as applies to virgin lakes or river stretches here in the uk.... if someone does really well, it won't stay secret for ever - and the better it is, the more likely it is that someone will look to take advantage of it by opening it up for more anglers - and who can blame them?

I had a pretty wonderful experience on the New Jersey shore line a couple of years ago... because of work, we were staying in a hotel pretty much literally on the beach. I never really adjusted to the time difference, instead I'd get up at 4.30am each morning and go spinning in the surf. Only caught a couple of really small fish, but the fact was I'd never fished a shoreline before and the sun came up each morning out of the sea directly in front of you, it was absolutely magical and something that will stay with me.

(didn't get jet lag either as I stayed on UK time for the whole trip! :))

greenie62

Reaction score
(didn't get jet lag either as I stayed on UK time for the whole trip! )

Really p****s the Yanks off - when your wide awake in the morning and a****oled by tea-time! :w:D

JasonH

Reaction score
I've been fortunate enough to visit several places, Egypt was awesome, but fishing was rubbish :-( Guinea Bissau was incredible but a pain to get to. I'm getting very tempted by Panama and Ascension Island though :)

chrissh

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to fish many places around the world with my work being a marine engineer I was never too far from water always had rod and tackle as part of my tool kit .
Florida- bone fish , tarpon ,barcode, snappers .Canada - carp ,catfish, pike , Muskie
Turkey has some great fresh water fishing

but to me the uk still has some of the best SAFE fishing in the world you not on the lookout for snakes, scorpions, poisonous fish, and the bloody mosquitoes the eat you alive or have to take a guide with a rifle in cases of bears,
Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed all of it but it's the uk for me

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed all of it but it's the uk for me

:) There's no place like home. I once spent a year living on the Gt Barrier Reef in Cairns - and I used to dream of trotting for graying or margin fishing for crucians :)