work party...

jasonbean1

Reaction score
its that time of year again for the die hards to be out there to be preparing there bit of water for the opening season...it's a shame but it will be the same usual faces.

i'm in a small club of around 90 anglers that as a prime bit of the cherwell.... if there is such a thing now and tomorow we'll be out battling our way through the nettles and brambles trying to get near the river with strimmers loppers and a chainsaw to make the swims fishable again. i had a walk along the strech last night and it's the most overgrown ive seen it in the last 10 years, an extra 2 ft of water is on at the moment and many of the platforms are under water...we literally have our work cut out!

are you an angler that benefits from such hard work from the few die hards or the type that feels the guilt by not pitching in and enjoys getting stuck in and feeling its worth it?...we'll hopefully have at least 6 of us there, we'll have a good laugh as someone usually falls in and all the old stories of its not the river it used to be will be banded around with counter arguments. it's going to be a nice day round here and at the end of it after a few beers it will be a good morning out with your mates.

so feel the guilt and get out there for your local club!

cheers
Jason

mick b

Reaction score
Please remind your organiser that is illegal to disturb the nest of a breeding bird.

Last thing you would want is for some 'anti' to gain leverage against your angling club.

;)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yup. With care. I do my own one-man work parties on a few stretches of river in the South East. A pair of Barnel secateurs and a mini folding pruning saw in sheaths on my belt or in a small daypack, a very little, judicious cutting and you would never know that certain spots on those waters have been visited and rendered fishable by a man who never carries his Angling House on his back or in some trolley.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Work Party

Is that not an Oxymoron Jason?

Seriously though, please heed Mick B's wise words.

This year, due to poor mobility I will not, for the first time in 10 years, participate in my syndicate's annual tidy-up but I will go down there in the car to offer coffee and pies around Tea time.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Work Party
This year, due to poor mobility I will not, for the first time in 10 years, participate in my syndicate's annual tidy-up but I will go down there in the car to offer coffee and pies around Tea time.

thanks for the reminder about the birds, we would never knowingly ditsurb any.

on the point above about age and mobility, this is perhaps the main reason for getting things done, many of our members are know ageing and our main stretch at thrupp is quite a walk over rough ground and steep banks on many swims, so its not just for comfort of match anglers its trying to preserve the membership by making the stretch accessible to people who might not be so agile knowadays

oxymoron...i had to google it!

Definition:

A figure of speech in which incongruous or seemingly contradictory terms appear side by side; a compressed paradox. Plural: oxymora or oxymorons. Adjective: oxymoronic or oxymoric.

well i suppose we do a few hours work and then have the party down the pub, its the correct definition:D!

greenie62

Reaction score
Well Done Peter,
due to poor mobility ... I will go down there in the car to offer coffee and pies around Tea time.

Generally the turnouts at Work Parties have been shameful for most clubs, with the same 'reliables' helping season after season - sometimes for over 30yrs. Fitter members of the club - 'can't, gotta twinge' - shy off or just don't turn up!

If your heart is really in the right place you can at least turn up with coffee & bacon butties at lunchtime - as demonstrated by Peter!

Respect - to all those who get stuck in - in whatever way they can! :thumbs::thumbs:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well Done Peter,

Generally the turnouts at Work Parties have been shameful for most clubs, with the same 'reliables' helping season after season - sometimes for over 30yrs. Fitter members of the club - 'can't, gotta twinge' - shy off or just don't turn up!

If your heart is really in the right place you can at least turn up with coffee & bacon butties at lunchtime - as demonstrated by Peter!

Respect - to all those who get stuck in - in whatever way they can! :thumbs::thumbs:

Hi Greenie,
As you mentioned in your PM to me about the Wigan, no one seems bothered about the state of the waters they fish! I have a fine collection of tools ideal for brush clearance, but when I have enquired to Club bailiffs about helping out no one seemed interested!

noutbutacold

Reaction score
Unfortunately and despite a desire to do so I am unable due to working weekends to complete many working party days. My club has a blanket ban on 'solo work parties' as apparently on one rented water a well meaning member cut down the landlords wife's favorite tree causing a near loss of the water.

I do admit to liking the idea of a working party ticket, giving a 'thank you' to those members who give their time. In a previous club if memory serves (CAPS) you had to do two such WP days in order to gain access to the clubs premier carp water. Always thought that was the way to go. There was also a complete ban on fishing the water where the wp was taking place (river or still water) so those 'turning up to fish' had no real alternative to getting stuck into the work (sloping off once in the car park was frowned upon).

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My club has a blanket ban on 'solo work parties' as apparently on one rented water a well meaning member cut down the landlords wife's favorite tree causing a near loss of the water.

Rightly so. Never on club water. But then I did have perhaps half a dozen of these dotted about various bits of southern England only a few years ago - wildlife camera traps | eBay

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
oxymoron...i had to google it! Definition: A figure of speech in which incongruous or seemingly contradictory terms appear side by side; a compressed paradox. Plural: oxymora or oxymorons. Adjective: oxymoronic or oxymoric. well i suppose we do a few hours work and then have the party down the pub, its the correct definition

Yup, definitely an oxymoron, as it certainly isn't a tautology, is it . . . . . . although, on second thoughts . . . . . .

greenie62

Reaction score
it certainly isn't a tautology, is it . . . . . . although, on second thoughts . . . . . .
:)Well - I think thats taut-ol-(ofus)! ;)

The bracketed expression, above, IS tautology - but wouldn't have made the same point! :rolleyes:

The bad one

Reaction score
Hi Greenie,
As you mentioned in your PM to me about the Wigan, no one seems bothered about the state of the waters they fish! I have a fine collection of tools ideal for brush clearance, but when I have enquired to Club bailiffs about helping out no one seemed interested!
You're in the wrong club Mark ;) We don't turn anyone away when they offer to get stuck in :)

As for me, the next month is WPs every weekend, but that's because along with a mate I/we run them. And ours are oversubscribed and have been for months.

neil1970

Reaction score
Far from a work party, but I had a look along the river at a few swims that I fished earlier this year.

Most were not that overgrown, but I did clear a fair bit of rubbish away, including a pub umbrella from the margins.

Can't wait...

Barrie Hicks 2

Reaction score
My clubs policy is to charge an extra £35 to the annual subscription if you do not attend at least one work party each year. Seems to work well, all the work parties I have been on have been well attended and a lot of work can be done. It also gives me a chance to meet other anglers who are regulars on waters that I don't often fish, and pick their brains! It's a good way to get to know a bit more about these waters and I have also met some decent and interesting fellas.