June is here. How did you get on?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Friday Jerry ( barbelboi ) kindly guested me on one of his club ponds.
A quiet and pretty fishery in rural Bucks. Only one other angler was there who turned out to be the elusive but nonetheless amicable Tee-Cee. Plenty of fish were caught including some long thin common carp, roach and small Crucians.
Today a club fixture, again in rural Bucks on the GUC. I drew badly and consequently came 10th. Roach, Ruffe, Rudd and gudgeon all long on the pole.

20lb won it with 18 and 10lb follow up weights..
14 fished.

How did you get on?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No fishing, but over that way last night and today, looking at bits of Thames, at the GUC, at an old lake I fished as a kid and teenager.... Glorious warm sunshine, the countryside a brilliant green after rain. Saw a rather nice carp, thought "Grrrr!" in a nice way, got home an hour or so back, said "Hello" to some ready-to-go set up rods and reels in the hall that haven't been used in anger for months. "You'd better watch out...." I said to them. No reply, except for a solitary "Click" from a 4-inch wide drum Speedia.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
I wasn't going to fish but I needed to visit the lake to hook up another unhooking mat and weigh sling. (we have found that us supplying very good mats helps enormously with fish care). The missus decided to go to the Met (regatta) so I put in a minimum amount of gear to do a bit of plugging.

Wonderful day, sun out, flowers coming into bloom, plenty of wildlife, real pleasure to be alive.

Fishing was a bit patchy, had a couple of jacks and had a few throw the hooks (I need to look at the the setup with my jig heads). Nothing large came after the lures but a really enjoyable day.

Stu

nicepix

Reaction score
I fished Thursday afternoon into the evening on the River Glane, aka Dingly Dell. It was yet another bank holiday and so I chose a swim upstream of where I fished last time and away from the footpath. The swim was about 50 metres upstream of a weir and had a wide smooth glide with quite a pace on the water. There were overhanging trees and tall trees on both banks so I expected that by 4pm the swim would be in shade and so it turned out to be. Weather forecast said showers so I was equipped with a brolly and waterproofs, but I left them in the car and didn't need to go back for them.

I fished a 15g plastic open ended feeder with a 20cm leader to 14 hook and small red worm around 2/3 of the way across. Rod was parallel to the bank and with about 4 or 5 metres of line out in a bow the tip was bent about 1cm. I had the red tip on my JW Travel Avon which I think is 1.5oz. Second cast resulted in a small roach and then another quickly followed. I switched to sweetcorn for a trial and although I hadn't had a bite on it the previous time I didn't want to waste good worms on small roach. The sweetcorn proved successful this time with a succession of bream of around 2.5lb to 3.5lb coming to the net. I had to net the damn things as the bank was too high for me to unhook them in the water :( All the bites were the same; a gentle pull of around 1cm on the tip followed by slack line and they all were hooked inside the mouth.

Then, after about three hours the swim died and despite changing bait, hook size, leader length and other options the only bite to fell the classic 'both hands on the catapult' tactic :mad:

It went dead for a couple of hours then I got another two bream and a roach all on the softer sweetcorn that had been frozen with the groundbait left over from last time.

Should have fished yesterday but got mucked about by a roofer who was supposed to come in the morning and then re-arranged the visit for the afternoon. I have put the groundbait I made in the freezer for Tuesday.

edsurf

Reaction score
Thursday dozen roach biggest over a pound, sat evening twenty five carp off the surface, couple of fives and six and half pound common.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me that supposedly 'ideal' conditions turn out to be anything but...
I went to the Farm Pond (Simon mentions in his post) on Friday at 6am and found overcast skies and reasonably warm conditions which I thought would be ideal for fish generally but crucians particularly. That the crucians did not show, apart from a couple at 4" long, in a swim that usually produces a dozen or more was a surprise although a number of small carp put a bend in the line for a most enjoyable day.

Good to meet Gerry and Simon at the water, my first direct contact with anyone from FM and hopefully not the last...

I went to another small water on Saturday with an early start at 5.30am. Conditions were similar to Friday and probably a little warmer. The lake looked a treat and I'd have been shocked had I not caught fish. I went with a 14' rod, a 'pin, homemade float and light bottoms for roach in 8' of water.
I had around eight fish to 3/4lb before 8am and then caught a small tench which seemed to change the swim as I then struggled to add to the catch. In the end I landed another six fish with one at just under the pound.
Unfortunately the sun broke through at 10.30 - one minute total overcast, the next, bright cloudless skies......Exit the roach, in fact exit everything, so at midday I went home where I mowed the lawn for a bit of exercise........Yes, it sounds all very keen, but I'm fishing many days next week so best to get these jobs out of the way!

Come this evening a loose plan of where I will fish this week will be in place . Much depends on the weather but this looks reasonable with showers promised....I might just try an Estate lake for tench just for a change.................................

ps Highlight for me this weekend occurred when out walking along the Hambleden Valley today. I very unusual bird cry had me looking around before I spotted a single lapwing diving, twisting and turning over the fields not 25 yards from me. Lovely sight with the flash of white underside as it turned.....it put a smile on my face anyway...

Enough of this chat, I have small hooks to tie.............!!

derwentbob

Reaction score
The local natural lakes have been doing very little recently (possibly due to nearby opencasting but I am alleging nowt) so I went to a local fishery - Aldercar Lane Fishery near Heanor. Not a bad day for saying I am new to this style, maybe 30-35lb of silverfish (roach, skimmers, ide gudgeon, nothing over a pound individually) and four pasties between 1.5-2.5lb each, all caught on waggler and pellet.

I had to spend a while remembering how to cast overhead, I haven't fished anywhere that wasn't hemmed in by trees for ages, but the day was hot and sunny and the sausage cobs were delicious.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well one of my local canals today along with several others sum total for the day 1 yes One little perch that seemed to be the story of that stretch today not good hope for better on Wednesday .

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Well I was down at OBH on Friday getting out thought by the crucians & ducks as I've said on another thread. Popped out this evening to a local club lake hoping for a tench and never had a bite. The damned things were there bubbling away, but I only had pellet with me and for some reason they wouldn't have it. I'd have given anything for a pint or two of red maggot....I'm sure spraying a bit about would have sorted them.

Interesting that the Farm Pond crucians didn't want to play on Friday just like those at Bury Hill. It must have been national "I'm not having it" day in the crucian calendar.

aebitim

Reaction score
Got out Thursday evening, new set up trying to get to the edge of the race with float and sandeel, 70yds at least, partial success, catching makkers at about 6ft, but still not able to get over the ledge to the sand, If your reading this Matt, 25yds is a picnic, set up is 15ft super agi hero, daiwa 5000 emblem, stren 30lb braid and 40g piker drennan rigged wagglered, if your gonna try this then dont rely on the bottom eye on the float as they dont last long [yes I am using a nylon leader], Can fish over the ledge at 40ft and 50 yds not far away but the temption of a 60ft ledge with the tide is irresistable.

denzinho

Reaction score
Went Fly fishing on the River for the first time on Saturday and caught a brownie. Well chuffed electrifying take.....Just terrific! Oh and 2 roach????? I don't get that bit :D
First_Fly_caught.jpg

View image in gallery

neil1970

Reaction score
I went to Tescos, did some shopping with the lure rod in car, and decided to do an hour from Tescos moorings that they provide for the boaters shopping trips.

I tried a 4 play soft lure, in 'dirty roach' and then a spinner that I lost to a snag, alongside the trace (£5 down the pan).:rolleyes:

Switched to drop shotting a tiny Berkley 2cm perch and lost a perch as I was landing it.

I really like the way you can map out the bed of the canal when drop shotting, also the way you can feel the perch hitting the lure before the take; loads of tiny vibrations, which can't be mistaken for snags or uneven canal bed.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I have still not been out since last November. Given all the fine weather of late i am clearly not a fine weather fisher after all. Every time i think i have a few days free to get out something comes along and takes over. Probably need to focus on the 16th now, this fishing during the closed season lark doesnt work for me at all.

paul1234

Reaction score
I fished Thursday afternoon into the evening on the River Glane, aka Dingly Dell. It was yet another bank holiday and so I chose a swim upstream of where I fished last time and away from the footpath. The swim was about 50 metres upstream of a weir and had a wide smooth glide with quite a pace on the water. There were overhanging trees and tall trees on both banks so I expected that by 4pm the swim would be in shade and so it turned out to be. Weather forecast said showers so I was equipped with a brolly and waterproofs, but I left them in the car and didn't need to go back for them.

I fished a 15g plastic open ended feeder with a 20cm leader to 14 hook and small red worm around 2/3 of the way across. Rod was parallel to the bank and with about 4 or 5 metres of line out in a bow the tip was bent about 1cm. I had the red tip on my JW Travel Avon which I think is 1.5oz. Second cast resulted in a small roach and then another quickly followed. I switched to sweetcorn for a trial and although I hadn't had a bite on it the previous time I didn't want to waste good worms on small roach. The sweetcorn proved successful this time with a succession of bream of around 2.5lb to 3.5lb coming to the net. I had to net the damn things as the bank was too high for me to unhook them in the water :( All the bites were the same; a gentle pull of around 1cm on the tip followed by slack line and they all were hooked inside the mouth.

Then, after about three hours the swim died and despite changing bait, hook size, leader length and other options the only bite to fell the classic 'both hands on the catapult' tactic :mad:

It went dead for a couple of hours then I got another two bream and a roach all on the softer sweetcorn that had been frozen with the groundbait left over from last time.

Should have fished yesterday but got mucked about by a roofer who was supposed to come in the morning and then re-arranged the visit for the afternoon. I have put the groundbait I made in the freezer for Tuesday.

Does the close season not apply on this river??
Cheers
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Does the close season not apply on this river??
Paul, Charante is in France where the fishing is generally considerably better and there is a more enlightened close season.

There are two types of waters containing different species of fish, which determines the fishing season for each one.

'In the more oxygenated waters of the 1ère catégorie (containing primarily trout) the season normally runs from the second week of March to the 3rd week of September.

In the less free flowing waters of the 2nde catégorie it is generally possible to fish throughout the year, except for pike, which is only authorised between 1st May and the last Sunday in January.

Take cover!

Stu

nicepix

Reaction score
Paul, Charante is in France where the fishing is generally considerably better and there is a more enlightened close season.

There are two types of waters containing different species of fish, which determines the fishing season for each one.

'In the more oxygenated waters of the 1ère catégorie (containing primarily trout) the season normally runs from the second week of March to the 3rd week of September.

In the less free flowing waters of the 2nde catégorie it is generally possible to fish throughout the year, except for pike, which is only authorised between 1st May and the last Sunday in January.

Take cover!

Stu

Yes, there is no close season for coarse fish except pike and zander. I try and avoid fishing for species that are about to, in the process of or have just finished spawning. Thankfully there are opportunities to fish rivers or still waters for something all year.

I had another afternoon on the River Glane yesterday. The river was the same level as last week, but not pulling as strongly. It was more overcast and a bit breezy. Should have been perfect. Fishing the same way as before (15g open ended feeder) on a JW Travel Avon. 1.5 oz quiver tip, Match Aerial reel and sweetcorn on a 14 hook only got me two bites and one fish, a carp of around 2 - 3lb which is by some margin the smallest river carp I have had here or in the UK. I hadn't taken any worms this time which was an oversight as that would have given me another option. I tried fishing the waggler at varying depths with no success either.

---------- Post added at 15:17 ---------- Previous post was at 15:16 ----------

Went Fly fishing on the River for the first time on Saturday and caught a brownie. Well chuffed electrifying take.....Just terrific! Oh and 2 roach????? I don't get that bit :D

My first three fish on fly tackle were roach.

Last edited:

neil1970

Reaction score
A rainy, but enjoyable day out on the canal today.

I met Simon at 9am, for a spot of spinning.
Even though the time, location, and setting were the same as a few days ago we managed to catch nothing in the hour before a boat went through.

(I had a few more fruitless attempts thoughout the day.)

We continued on; Simon fishing worm/maggots on the bomb to a feature on the far bank, and me feeder fishing (worm, bread, maggot, sweetcorn) on the near shelf.

Simon caught first with a gudgeon, then a small skimmer.

I caught a tiny perch & then heard an excited call from Simon who wanted me to photograph something for him...

:j

A few more followed:

A fun day,

I ended up with two tiny perch and a large fresh water mussel.
Simon caught gudgeon, and minature chub, bream, rudd and bleak.

:)

Last edited: