Sea trout Fishing in Norfolk

joesmith

Reaction score
Hi All,

After reading some articles in Salmon and Trout magazine i am interested in doing some fishing for sea trout. My fly fishing isn't that good, so i was hoping to target them using spinners and worm. I have heard of a few turning up in Norfolk and was wondering if anyone could tell me any good or known spots to try for them and what clubs control those spots.

I was thinking of rivers like the Burn, Glaven, Stiffkey and Wissey, but i cannot find the details of any clubs that control those waters, or even places i could go to fish for free.

All suggestions welcome, and help in finding some sea trout would be much appreciated.

Joe

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I might be wrong, but I'm inclined to think that better sea-trout waters in north Norfolk won't be easy to access. You might already be aware of these people (link to a page on their site about the River Stiffkey project) - Norfolk Rivers Trust | River Stiffkey

rubio

Reaction score
Surprising numbers of sea trout make it into the Stour and Orwell down here in Suffolk but are rarely fished for. I did hear of a very large specimen taken from the Town centre stretch in Norwich on a pike bait not so very long ago.
Local charter skippers and commercial fisherman often know where they turn up year on tear, but are understandably discreet about it all.

greenie62

Reaction score
After reading some articles in Salmon and Trout magazine i am interested in doing some fishing for sea trout. My fly fishing isn't that good, so i was hoping to target them using spinners and worm.

I would guess that using 'drop-shotting' methods with minnows or worm along quaysides would be worth a go.
However given that you are 'hoping to target them' I trust you will first have purchased a migratory trout Angling Licence! (And don't forget to do your returns else you could be in trouble;))

Given the lack of Migratory Trout and Salmon fishing opportunities in East Anglia I would guess few anglers purchase such licences in the region - and probably don't boast of catching Sea Trout - "I was just fishing for perch and I caught this trout, m'lud - sea-trout? - never m'lud - everyone knows there ain't no sea-trout in Norfolk m'lud!";)

Last edited:

Windy

Reaction score
Surprising numbers of sea trout make it into the Stour and Orwell down here in Suffolk

Eh ? I used to live in Suffolk and learned to fish in the Stour (Sudbury and environs), and never heard of sight nor sound of any Trout, let alone Sea Trout....

Whereabouts ? Lower reaches / estuary or further up river in the shallows somewhere ?

However I left for Uni in 1977 and never really been back there since. The one time I did visit about ten years ago I was staggered by the change in the water. What used to be dark murky water looking like moving mud full of suspended ordure is now clear and clean. Not Test or Itchen clean, but an amazing improvement.

So I don't discredit the assertion, but would be intrigued to know more. Maybe even justify a quick pop home to visit the old man for a week or two. Taking my rods :wh

rubio

Reaction score
Water is far cleaner nowadays. Hardly a flounder to be seen. Partly cos there are so many bass on the hunt. I have observed for myself sea trout some way upstream in the orwell and also in the confluence around shotley. Once into brackish water I have heard live roach is a favoured food for bass and may well be a natural lure for other species like the trout. Incoming tides usually push the freshwater species very close to the bankside with the central channel left open to mullet etc. Many of the big bass discreetly drift along underneath and behind the mullet shoals after those roach and tho I've only seen a few sea trout they may utilise the same stealthy approach. Recently seals have also begun to exploit coarse fish above weir sills that normally retain higher proportions of fresh water at low tide.
Even if ya get nothing your ol' dad would surely appreciate a visit.
Good luck