Bristol barbel

danielecerullo

Reaction score
Hi folks,

denzinho and myself are planning a trip to mark the new season, our target speicies barbel, now never having fished for them before we are both unsure of where in relation to bristol we can catch them, I've heard the avon is very popular for the species but at what places in bristol it's self are these fish available from? I personally have always wanted to catch a barbel so any secret spots any local anglers would like to share would be great fully recieved.

Thanks everyone, Danny.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Big smile from me on reading the above. Wittingly or unwittingly (with your "secret spots"), you have trawled the Barbel Trawlers in fine fashion, Danny. Only a few years ago, sites might / WOULD have melted down (a good many of their po-faced members, too), death threats issued, Terminators sent through time to eliminate the threat, for a lot less. Keep at it!

The bad one

Reaction score
Danny I don't know this river it's 200 miles from where I live, but can I respectfully suggest you do your own legwork and find the fish. The season is up on use...nearly and anglers will be on the bank after 16th. Get out and about and talk to them with a polite approach. Be honest and up front with them tell them you don't know what you doing but have a desire to catch a barbel.

Yes some will be tight lipped but other wont and will give you pointers as to where you're likely to find what you desire due to you openness and honesty.

You're unlikely to be told the precise location of swims that produce but a general area and the rest is down to you. Take it from me there are few shortcuts and if you can't or wont put the work in, then failure is the likely result.

cg74

Reaction score
Forum is as helpful as ever :rolleyes:

In fairness your ask was/is a big one - I certainly wouldn't divulge that info to a complete stranger!

I don't know the Bristol Avon, but going on what anglers say, for whatever reason, barbel numbers are low and getting increasingly lower.

My advice runs along the same lines as The Bad One's; get on the bank looking at likely holding spots, armed with a pair of polarized sunglasses, some 10-14mm halibut pellets and boilies.
Watch the water intently, and if you are convinced they should be there, then put some bait in, watch for a few minutes and if nothing shows, move on but check it an hour or so later. If the bait has gone, put some more in and sit it out to see what species has eaten it.

Regards which stretches to check out; do a thorough Google search, there will be plenty of general info to glean a basic level of knowledge.

I will say (though this is not firsthand info) the River Marden has a few barbel in it, so if you bomb-out on the Avon, it might be worth looking at.

danielecerullo

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply the bad one,

Also thanks for the advice, it is for sure something that I intend to as I very commonly converse with other anglers bank side.

It's just that catch 22 having never actually fished for them it's hard to find a strech of river that you can find them, is the common rule of thumb where there's chub there's barbel? As I have fished for chub before and know some very good locations along the avon and the frome that I have fished before.

Just thought any local anglers could put there swing on things. Thanks again for the response.

Danny.

The bad one

Reaction score
Early season I'd look at the faster water gravel swims, as that's where they are likely to have spawned and where the more oxygenated water is. It's also where most of the natural food is this time of year. And after spawning that's what they need protein to bring them back into some sort of condition because of the rigours of that activity.

Treat them with kid gloves as they are very vulnerable to low oxygen stress during the summer months.

alan andrews

Reaction score
Hi Daniel I have fished the the Bristol Avon for Barbel for the last 35 years the barbel fishing is a but shadow of its former self but they are still some to be caught you should start above bath, limply stoke, Lacock are on the ammalagamated ticket. good luck with the barbel fishing once you catch one you will be hooked for life

danielecerullo

Reaction score
Hi alan,

I have heard as much asking around and reading online. Thanks for the info exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for and I'll be sure to go over to bath and try my luck with some of those barbels, thanks again alan.

Danny.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
best bet to catch your first barbel...river Wye, your not that far from it