Venue advice please - Reepham, Norfolk

Tom 24 Wood

Reaction score
I'm off to sunny Norfolk next week for a holiday at Reepham Fisheries. I know it's been mentioned in the fisheries thread but only briefly, so I was hoping some of you might be able to enlighten me further? Also, if anyone knows of any decent stretches of the Wensum - or any other river in the area available on a day ticket I'd be most grateful for some info. Cheers!

blankety blank

Reaction score
can't help with Reepham fisheries Tom, but as to other fishing in Norfolk, what particularly are you interested in?

F

Fred Bonney

There is a Wensumday ticket stretch available from The Bridge pub at Lenwade, Tom.

Tom 24 Wood

Reaction score
I tried the bridge stretch at Lenwade last year when I was up there and had some nice perch on the stick and pinfrom the peg before the bridge, towards the end of the stretch. I was also gutted to find out that you basically have to be John Wilson in order to fish the weir pool on the other side of the road!

In terms of other places of interest, it's rivers that i'm after some info on, either other stretches of the wensum, or any other rivers fishable on a day ticket in the area. Thanks again...

blankety blank

Reaction score
Tom,

The Wensum is very low and clear at the moment, and fishing is pretty hard. I have a season ticket at lenwade, and the barbelling is almost a non-starter at the moment.

Some lovely perch under the bridge arn't there? Try trotting a minnow down there, its great fun.

There is good bream and roach fishing to be had from the tidal stretches of the Yare below Norwich as well as on the Bure, but it is only really practical in the evenings once the boat traffic has died down.

Tom 24 Wood

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on that one blank- mighthave an eveningthere anyway as the opportunity only arises once a year.

Had the same problem with the wensum last year when we stayed in Wensum Cottagejust outside North Elmham. Also tried -and failed -onSwanton Morely lakes but am planning to go back this year and fish the stretch of wensum that runs through the complex - do you know anything about it?

The Bure and Yare sound promising. I think I read about a stretch of the former that's by a castle, does that sound familiar? Also, do you know who the controlling clubs are or who issues the day tickets?

One more thing, can you reccomend a decent tackle shop in the area? Tried the onein Dereham last year but wondered if there might be another option.

Thanks a lot for the info

steve B

Reaction score
Tom,

The stretch of river that runs through Swanton morley lakes has plenty of decent Chub.

The club that runs the fishery (Dereham and district A C) has a website somewhere....

Thestretch of the Bure your're thinking about could be St Benet's Abby.

Give Angling Direct (Aylsham road, Norwich)a ring or pop in,they'll give you all the info.

Steve.

blankety blank

Reaction score
Be careful in Tackle direct Tom, it's a serious wallet emptyer!

There is some free bank fishing on the yare at surlingham and bramerton. If you can, try and get hold of a copy of John wilsons ""Where to fish in Norfolk and suffolk", its a mine of useful information.

The upper yare above Norwich is worth exploring too, some cracking chub from a very intimate little venue.

C

Chris Densham

Blankety blank: which clubs have the rights to the upper yare? It looks a great bit of water, ideal for some winter chubbing!

blankety blank

Reaction score
I'm not aware of any club access Chris.

There are a couple of spots i know, but I'm afraid I'm going to be selfish and keep them under my hat!