Manchester Carp Group Chairman gets new lake record

The Monk

Reaction score
DSC_2508a.jpg

my son Lee with a local 29 1/4lb Mirror taken at 1.30 am this morning.

Warning, its probably not advisable teaching your kids how to fish from an early age, I was well away in the land of nod when the telephone woke me up, dad I`ve caught the big one, bring the camera, he said, so I had to drag myself out of bed and drive down to the lake which i`d only dropped him off at hours before. This is his first session on this particular pit for 10 years and he was 6 hours into the session when the fish struck, although no stranger to big fish, number one sonhas taken many thirties over the years from both the UK and abroad, after being woken at this unearthly hour, i`m not convinced it was a good idea to get him interest in fishing from an early age. So let this be a warning to allfathers out there who enjoy their beauty sleep.

The Monk

Reaction score
haha cheers guys, just been back with the heatons and re-weighed it, he was using avons, which appear to be out, it weighed in this morning at 30.02, less the weight sling, took it to 29.12, so thats the official weight, hes over the moon and staying on until saturday, because he hasnt caught the other 3 small twenties in the lake haha

F

Fred Bonney

Blimey that is a proud dad, back to bed at 4am down the fishery and back by 10!

Get down there, you know you want to.

The Monk

Reaction score
haha,I might do that mate, but he wont tell me what bait hes on, I think i taught him too well haha/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
heres a few of this mornings shots YYYyaaaaawwwwwnnnn
DSC_2525a.jpg

back she goes
DSC_25321a.jpg

Lees pitch

DSC_2511a.jpg

the fish was taken from a local club pit in about 3ft of water in the near margins, he wont tell me what bait he used but I suspect it was a fancy boilie neutrally balanced over particles on a fancy sliding hair rig ( he wont tell me that either), it is however a very difficult pitch with a lot of over hanging trees over head. We are not sure what its best weight is and will check with the club later website , but it is the biggest fish in the area we believe, apparently they call it brown eyes?????

he`ll probably go mad when he sees these posts, that will teach him to be a secret squirrel, phoning me at all hours and have me continually running down to the lake with things hes forgotten, /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif, well done son, haha, my turn next!.

right, I`m definately off to bed now

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Nice one Nick and Jnr...............it's surprising how waters close to home can throw up fish they never used to, i'm learning that with my nipper /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Congratulations to the two of you Monk. Kids really make you proud.

Sadly, the only memorable event when I took my lad fishing was when he lostthe top section of my treasured Billy Lane leger rod. /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
cheers Paul, you lad will certainly be well taught with you behind him mate/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
I`ve just been down again to see how hes doing, no more action yet but he has carp in his swim, I also managed a quick shot of his rig while he`d gone for a squirt,dont ask me the theory behind it, but he s very particular about his rigs and ties them in a fly vice, the bolie was tied onto a sliding eye with braid a peice of tube and a blob of heavy metal at the end, next he had a piece of spider wire (I think) tied to the braid with another blob o0f heavy metal or drop em over the knot? he then had a semi fixed in line lead with a few feet of lead core added before his main line, it seemed to do the trick, but far too complex for the likes of me.
DSC_2535`a.jpg

apparently this carp came out last week at 29.06 according to the bailiff who seen it weighed, yet we weighed it on two sets of scales, one of which was calibrated recently, so could this carp have put on 6oz in a week or was it mis-weighed, I dont know, but I`m pretty sure the 29.12 we got was correct, as we are usually very carefull with these things, although w did hand weigh it and of course a weighing tripod is more accurate for weighing fish?

The Monk

Reaction score
thanks John, my lad lost a black max and baitrunner once and I`d hate to think about all the tackle hes destroyed, kids eh mate

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Amazing fish, great pictures (old and new).

Can you ask him one question please?

Now he's had the 'big one'will that take away some of the fun and desire for future fishing trips to that lake?

The Monk

Reaction score
thanks Paul, I dont thinkhe will, his best fish is 38 1/2 lb, from france, hes also caught big fish in the USA and canada, hes had two English 30s his first one when he was thirteen, I think he just enjoys catching carp regardless of size.,I took him everywhere with me when he was young, he practically grew up ina bivvy, but he never really had the opportunity to fidh local waters, so hes trying to,catch up now. this water is local to us and still holds a few twenties that he hasnt had, so i expect he`ll stay with it for a while