Help! My new local lake proving a challange.

thehalcyonred

Reaction score
Hi Everyone i have only recently joined the forum and could do with some help on my new local lake.

Having moved to Telford over the winter i have been spending lots of time at my local lake in Apley.

Its a big water around 5-6ft deep with a silty / gravell bottom.

My first trip a few weeks ago i managed a 12lb common using a Homemade paste bait but despite several early morning and late evening trips bites are proving hard to come by.

Im far from being a carp expert and i generally like to float and feeder fish but the carp in the lake give a good run so would defiantly like to be catching a few more.

I have tried pop up boiles and PVA bags of pellets with past and boilies but to no avail.

Does anyone have any get back to basics for carp fishing that might help.

Cheers. :confused:

sam vimes

Reaction score
If you've caught one you can catch more. There's a reasonable chance that it won't be baits or rigs that are a problem. On big waters, the biggest problem is usually locating the fish. If neccessary, walk right round the lake looking for signs of carp activity. If all else fails, follow the wind. There's a damned good chance that the fish will.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Early morning or late evening I'd try float fishing close in.
In the current warm spell the carp will probably be sunbathing on the top during the day and not feeding.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'd agree with that, hence my desire to fish early mornings when the fish (on my pits at least!) can be seen patrolling the margins..I know I catch more than many (most of the time) simply because I can drop into position (where I might have fired just a few dog biscuits or Mixer) if I see them taking off the top in the quiet early hours.

QUESTION(S): Have you walked around early/late looking for fish up in the water? Have you tried fishing bread on the surface, casting to fish moving around? Have you walked around asking locals about best times etc etc?

It's all a question of building up a picture of your water rather than just going with what you think might work...............

One club water I use is a 'max 20lb water' according to those who fish it during the day but I know fish of at least half a s big again exist 'cos I've seen em at 5am when most are still in bed!!

Do your homework and think outside the box for best results AND don't be afraid to ask !!!

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
As suggested, follow the wind,especially the new wind. Carp love warmth so go to the shallows where it's warmer. Bait a few likely margin spots, you don't need to beachcast to get fish despite all the K-rap that gets spouted about long range this and test curve that,munga pukka etc. Early dawns and I mean sunrise or a max an hour after sunrise and keep your eyes peeled. SW winds tend to be warm and an ideal scenario would be a new S westerly blowing into the shallows for a start.How many rods can you use? Try a zig rig, bait is irrelevant here,use a bit of foam, they just want to investigate and lacking hands use their mouths----too late! Try floaters if the bird life allows it. Try a method ball of trout pellet paste and pellets. use hemp, if as usual most are boilie bashers use multiple baits chick peas, maize etc. Look for spots that don't get fished, normally furthest away from car parks or tight,inconvenient swims and above all be quiet and stealthy. 1 bait in the right spot is better than a dozen in the wrong. Maybe seek a little,cramped tucked away swim and fish 1 rod over a pre baited margin spot.