Take the BLOODY Thing

Big Mad G

Reaction score
How many times has a ******* trout followed ur fly only for it to just turn its nose at the last second
angry_smiley.gif

I imagine i'm doing something right for the fish to follow the fly and keep it interested, but what am i doing wrong for them not to take the fly.?

is there anything i can do?

except scream "Take the bloody thing" when i start to lose the plot.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I happens to us all mate, even the likes of Ogbourne amd Horsey.

Yesterday my local res. was like a millpond, the fish were active all over the place, yet take a fly - no way.

Except one that was absolutely stupid, but which smashed the 2 lb leader and walked off with the 20 hook!!!!

One of the best "minor tactics" in a flat calm and when the trout are feeding on minute insects just below the surface is to use a "Shipmans Buzzer" fished dry. Use only one fly per leader and make sure your leader is sunk by applying the suitable leader sinking material.

High pressure plus clear skies and east or south east winds can spell doom to reservoir fishing. But it's all relative, if you do catch a couple of fish under these conditions you can put a nice flambouyant feather in your cap!

Big Mad G

Reaction score
was talking to a bailiff on the river Clyde tonight about this very subject and he said to STOP the retrieve. This way the fish would be right on top of the fly and 7 times out of 10 would take the fly.

has anyone else tried or heard of this????

S

Shrek

Yes, I was thinking about it and was going to suggest the same thing.

I've had it happen before too. Fishing a small 2.5 acre lake I watched a couple of trout follow the fly right in then turn away. Next retrieve, I saw a fish starting to follow so twitched the fly and stopped, then the line tightened and fish on!!!

Another good one to try is, once you're near the end of the retrieve, as you lift the line out of the water to cast, wiggle the line. This transmits down to the fly and can often induce a take if a fish has been following.

If you do get a take close in though, just let the line tighten and then let the fish take line, at whatever speed it wants too, otherwise you'll lose the fish.

Let us know how you get on.

Big Mad G

Reaction score
cheers lads, i'll let u's all know how i get on.

won't be this weekend as i'm out earning pennies, but i'll keep u posted./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Colin Brett

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Except one that was absolutely stupid, but which smashed the 2 lb leader and walked off with the 20 hook!!!!</blockquote>

Size 20???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

2lb Leader????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

You deserve a medal for being able to see to tie the damn thing on!!!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif