2 rods or 1 when fishing?

fishperch

Reaction score
hi guys, im thinking of trying out 2 rods when i next fish, a carp rod set up and a feeder rod set up, what do i do if both rods get a take at once? and if they do which should i focus on first? i usally play fish on tge backwind so it takes quite a while to land them. should i use a bite alarm or just use visal sings nd the noise of the reel, i will be going on my own. thanks guys

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've fished 2 rods a rod on a bite alarm and set up fishing a boilie or big piece of meat and the other rod a float rod

If I get 2 bites at once I'd play the rod set up for carp first as the float rod will mostly be a smaller fish and less likely that the fish will run in to reeds and snag me up

fishperch

Reaction score
I've fished 2 rods a rod on a bite alarm and set up fishing a boilie or big piece of meat and the other rod a float rod If I get 2 bites at once I'd play the rod set up for carp first as the float rod will mostly be a smaller fish and less likely that the fish will run in to reeds and snag me up

ok thanks, does anyone kno of anyway to controll the run on the rod ur not playing the fish on?

barbelboi

Reaction score
I’d only use more than one rod on waters where you’re unlikely to be double handed very often. It’s possible to place the rod with the other/smaller fish gripped between your knees with the drag set quite tight and let it ‘take line’ sparingly in open water while you land the larger fish. IMO it’s better to fish one rod well than two badly though.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
IMO it’s better to fish one rod well than two badly though.

Absolutely agree, Jerry.I only ever fish two rods when its likely to be a waiting game and both rods will be fished in pretty much the same way. I would not mix radically different gear or methods if fishing 2 rods. It's asking for trouble IMO.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
If I was on my own and there was the remotest chance of hooking two lumps at the same time I wouldn't ever consider fishing two rods.
I've no doubt it happens a lot and the consequences are dead fish and lost tackle.
It just isn't worth it.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Two rods when your young and don't know any better, one rod when the years start to creep on and it takes an hour to set up one rod, let alone two!!

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Happened to me with an 8Ib Bream on one rod and a 9Ib tench on the other. Two PBs at the same time.

The tench came first, and i realised it was a tench. The Bream came as i was playing the tench and i realised it was a bream when i had a rod in each hand. I then loosened the clutch on the Bream and propped the rod in the rests to give a decent angle for the rod to play the fish itself and focussed all my attention on the tench until i had that in. Once netted i then turned to the identical rod with the bream on and played that in - to be honest it had hardly taken any line and just wallowed around compared to the tench which had made several searing runs.

Silly thing is that you can go day after day without getting a take on this water, but in one magic spell in 2012 I had 7 bream from 5Ib-8Ib4 oz and three tench with two over 8Ib in about 90 minutes. Crazy. That was the only time i ever had two hook ups at the same time though.

I would add that some of the regulars use 3 or 4 rods all the time - but i never use more than two and i think that so many lines going in and the spread of bait (typically using a method feeder) is counter productive. To be honest i usually catch more than they do with a basic two rod set up.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are not comfortable fishing more than one rod then it is best, as others have stated, to stick to using just the one.
Once you feel more proficient then fishing your normal method with a second "sleeper" rod set-up on an alarm is perfectly fine and easy to do.

That said, take a look at Carp anglers all over the Country who regularly fish at the same time which is obviously best done with bite alarms and bait-runner reels. Or indeed in France where we use 4 rods.

In my experience I've only ever had 4 "double headers" so you simply play and land the first having set the hook on the second, engage the bait-runner mechanism and allow that fish to roam.

On all 4 occasions I landed both fish perfectly well with no obvious signs of distress of any kind, to the fish that is.

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
If you are not comfortable fishing more than one rod then it is best, as others have stated, to stick to using just the one.
Once you feel more proficient then fishing your normal method with a second "sleeper" rod set-up on an alarm is perfectly fine and easy to do.

That said, take a look at Carp anglers all over the Country who regularly fish at the same time which is obviously best done with bite alarms and bait-runner reels. Or indeed in France where we use 4 rods.

In my experience I've only ever had 4 "double headers" so you simply play and land the first having set the hook on the second, engage the bait-runner mechanism and allow that fish to roam.

On all 4 occasions I landed both fish perfectly well with no obvious sings of distress of any kind, to the fish that is.

This is good advice and also aligned with my approach. I too have had maybe half a dozen double hook ups over the years and as far as I can recall none have resulted in snagged fish, damaged fish or lost tackle.

Horses for courses, if you are fishing under a snaggy bush then to use 2 or 3 rods would be both daft and irresponsible. Fishing in open water, no issues.

sam vimes

Reaction score
For me, fishing multiple rods is a question of the methods used and the stocking density of the water. I have no problem fishing, the maximum allowed by law, four rods when conditions allow. I don't recall ever having a double hook up.

However, I fail to understand how anyone can safely fish a commercial with one main rod/pole and a sleeper ledger rod. Pole fishing anywhere is not a method that safely allows the use of a second rod. Fishing with multiple float rods is only feasible on stillwater if it happens to be pretty low stocked.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Lord Paul....I take it you would be handing your mate the rod with the bigger fish attached, then...............................??

I think that's extremely generous of you!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
owever, I fail to understand how anyone can safely fish a commercial with one main rod/pole and a sleeper ledger rod. Pole fishing anywhere is not a method that safely allows the use of a second rod. Fishing with multiple float rods is only feasible on stillwater if it happens to be pretty low stocked.

I totally agree there Sam, when fishing the pole then you need both hands and total concentration . . . . .

My comments above were only concerning Carp or tench fishing using alarms and not on commercials, in fact I doubt it would be allowed on a commercial fishery.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I totally agree there Sam, when fishing the pole then you need both hands and total concentration . . . . .

My comments above were only concerning Carp or tench fishing using alarms and not on commercials, in fact I doubt it would be allowed on a commercial fishery.

Sadly, I see the sleeper rod thing pretty much every time I go to a commie (mercifully, I don't go too often). The messes people get into when they are fishing the pole and the "sleeper" rod takes off.:eek:mg: It's actually quite comical, provided you totally ignore the welfare of the fish.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
These were the two fish i mentioned earlier. I was in a dilemma after landing the tench - should i go weigh it and photograph it and return it before landing the bream?.

I chose to leave her in the net at the edge for a rest and landed the bream into the same net a little while later. Bit of a tight fit, but needs must when youre the only person present and theres a strict no keepnet rule!

By the way the grass was lush and wet.

chub_on_the_block-albums-mitchell-picture3836-p1010199.jpg