The Glorious 16th: The Pope’s River Diary

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
"To celebrate the opening of the 2014/15 river season who better than the one and only Steve Pope"

Who better? Well fishingmagic, anyone that really cares about the glorious 16th not someone who would see it's demise. Just an honest opinion from me.

See the numbers at the show are down again Steve, nice to see that Fred got the respect he deserves from Peter Wheat.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I always enjoy reading Steve's articles, sounds like a good thing to visit one of these meetings although I am not a barbel angler these days. Looks like a good day out whatever you fish for. I wonder what the next barbel bait will be if pellets are beginning to lose their bite. Will it go back to old baits that have gone out of fashion but, will be new to barbel ! or is there some yet undiscovered new baitl on the horizon?

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

I'm pleased you enjoy the articles, always nice to get positive feedback.

These meetings/ shows, are always worth attending, the atmosphere is always friendly and it doesn't really matter if you're not an out and out barbel angler, there are plenty of people who attend who fish for everything!

Bait, the Holy Grail!

The fun is in the seeking I suppose, I don't believe our quarry has a seriously advanced palate but disproving that gives many people a lot of pleasure, and a bit of pain as well!

Have a great season.

All the best.