Not so Unlucky (Swim) 13!

P

pons

Hi Pat,

I enjoyed reading your account,as it is a differant week than what most will experience En Francais,i.e ,a lower stocked lake and tricky fishing,more english style .

You did not mention whether there were other anglers on the lake ,as I know you can rarely move around and change swims elsewhere,and can get stuck on or off fish accordingly.

Were you self catering ?,and was there facilities ?,sorry will check that out on website .

Some stunning fish there ,mate,very well done !!,and well "angled".

Pons

P

pons

Just had a look at the link,answered all my questions ,very impressive facilities.

Cheers,

Pons

Pat Gillett

Reaction score
Hi Pons,

There were no other anglers on the lake when we were there and in fact throughout the past 6 weeks there have only been a couple of anglers on most weeks. I put this down to the fact that most English anglers want to fish 'runs' type waters when the go abroad and the idea of having to work for say 6 runs in a week doesn't appeal to them. Personally i find this type of fishing much more rewarding and would much rather fish all week for a couple of fish when the average size is so high. Also a lot of anglers get put off going abroadaround this time thinking it is too hot to catch.

I would imagine that if you were on the lake with a few anglers on then the fish would move about even more as there would be nowhere for 'them to hide', so to speak. With this in mind i would advocate leaving the baits in for as long as possible on at least a couple of rods so asnot to disturb the swim too much.

The facilities are more than ample for fishing, with a wooden cabin in each swim, all bar 2 will have electricity next season. There are 2 cabins on the venue that have double toilets and showers. You will also find that Sandra is on hand to bring you fresh bread etc each morning if required. There is an hypermarket for all your shopping needs within 10 minutes of the venue, which by the way sits right next to the River Seine.

Island lake is a cracking venue and definately one i would return to.

Cheers,

Pat

P

pons

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your words of wisdom,it certainly sounds a cracking venue and really good one to fish.

I remember Shaun Harrison writing about it last year if I am not mistaken,and think he had a 50 ,was on his website .Are you one of his merry men ?

We went to John Hoffgartners place 3 times last year ,filming a dvd for him at Etang des Royales,very nice lake and facilities,but Island sounds a great challenge with reward a plenty.

Will have a word with my man Tom about a trip for next season,as too much on this year .

Many thanks for your help,

Cheers,

Pons

Pat Gillett

Reaction score
Hi Pons,

Yes i am one of Shauns' bait consultants for his Quest Baits company and i wouldn't hesitate to recommend his companies products. Some of the boilies such as the special crab and the rahja spice have proved excellent for barbel as well.

Shaun had a fish of 54lb + from Island last season (a different one to the fish i had) and i do believe it has also done a 55lb Common this season.

Cheers,

Pat