Dropping leads.

smudger172

Reaction score
I dont know if this has been discussed before. I am not a carp angler but enjoy watching the different fishing programs on the tv including the carpy ones. A Lot of the time when watching Danny Fairarse fishing he keeps going on about "dropping the lead". If all the carp anglers follow this method, over time a massive amount of lead will be deposited in our lakes. Has there been a study on what will happen to the discarded leads and the health of the fish in years to come. Once there in they are hard to get out.......................:confused:

john step

Reaction score
This was discussed recently at some length in the Anglers Mail if I remember rightly. I am much too tight to do that as a matter of course apart from the environmental issues:D

terry m

Reaction score
Was also discussed on here some time ago with some wildly contrasting views.

Personally, with the exception of one very weedy water I do not know anyone who deliberately drops leads every time. IMO it is another Korda fashion, crafted to lure those that know no better to waste their money.

As to the detrimental effect on a water, I am not convinced of that either.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, with the exception of one very weedy water I do not know anyone who deliberately drops leads every time. IMO it is another Korda fashion, crafted to lure those that know no better to waste their money. As to the detrimental effect on a water, I am not convinced of that either.

I too tend to lean towards the side that thinks the only reason for this "fashion" is to increase Korda sales!

If you think about it, we have been catching Carp(s) [sic] very successfully without leaving leads on the lake bed for decades, haven't we?

That said and noting that the vast majority of today's leads are coated, then I don't see any huge detrimental effect on a water either.

hyperdrive

Reaction score
I think it is also to increase sales and although I don't go carp fishing very often I certainly don't set up to intentionally drop the lead on every take

mick b

Reaction score
Maybe a couple of scuba divers with metal detectors will clear the place out every time the 'fishery' owner has a cash flow problem.:wh

It could be the same as Championship Golf Courses where the groundsman fiercely protects the water traps because the lost balls provide him with a nice little earner every three months of so (my fishing friends son was nicked retrieving bucket-loads of balls following a British Open in the '80's)

Sadly this 'dropped lead' method is just another indicator of how some tackle companies regard our environment, where it seems anything goes as long as they are making money.

Regarding the longterm effects of lead in the environment, I would rather see it not there, than blindly accepting someones (perhaps biased) theory on the subject.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
It could be the same as Championship Golf Courses where the groundsman fiercely protects the water traps because the lost balls provide him with a nice little earner every three months of so (my fishing friends son was nicked retrieving bucket-loads of balls following a British Open in the '80's)

Yes a mate of mine was taken to court some years ago by the Belfry for rounding up the golf balls from the water ( he was in full wet suit mind you )

mick b

Reaction score
Yes a mate of mine was taken to court some years ago by the Belfry for rounding up the golf balls from the water ( he was in full wet suit mind you )

My friends son (and his school friend) were caught at 3am, he only got off because he father was 'well connected'.
Infact his Dad could have brought him a crate of championship balls.......but that is why we scrumped apples wasn't it :wh

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm another that's not comfortable with this lead dropping..............

BTW, In the early 60’s, as young teenagers, we used to put on our thigh waders once a week in the evening at our local municipal golf course (not sure you could get away with it at the ‘Members’ courses even in those days) and ‘milk’ the water traps and rough. You’d be surprised at just how many golf balls we’d find – sell them back to the golfers and have enough to keep four of us in beer money each week....................

sam vimes

Reaction score
There's a huge disconnect between what the industry (sponsored anglers, magazine anglers etc) might do and what those that live in the real world actually do. I have never set up to automatically and routinely dump a lead on the take. The closest I get is setting a lead clip just lightly enough that it'll release if it's pulled through heavy weed. The only time I've seen automatic lead dumping tactics employed was on a very weedy lake. Personally, I'd simply deem the lake too weedy to fish safely.

Whilst I don't think that dumping of leads is a particularly good idea, I doubt that it'll have that much of an environmental impact. People usually seem to think of lead pipes, and all the problems they caused, and get their knickers in a knot. The reality is that there's plenty of naturally occurring lead in the ground in the UK.

mick b

Reaction score
The reality is that there's plenty of naturally occurring lead in the ground in the UK.

Maybe in Derbyshire there is, but in glorious Hampshire there isn't.......

Whatever next, clogs and shin kicking contests :eek:mg:

Steve2020

Reaction score
There's no way I'll be deliberately dropping leads at £ 1.20 + a go, like a few on here have already eluded to it's just another manufacturer driven "fashion"

Sent from mobile using tapatalk

law

Reaction score
If you use heavy leads (4oz plus), there is a risk that right under the rod tip, if the fish shakies it's head, the weight of the lead flapping about can cause the hook link to loose it's tension for a split second.
This can then in turn cause to hooks coming out.

Likewise, in ultra weedy water dropping the lead reduces the chances of getting caught up in the weed.

Other than these, there is no reason to loose the lead that I can see. We'd all be broke!

nicepix

Reaction score
Last time I lost a lead was September 17th 1986. I remember it well because it took me 2 weeks to find it again. 53 yards out in 20 feet of water.

cg74

Reaction score
Last time I lost a lead was September 17th 1986. I remember it well because it took me 2 weeks to find it again. 53 yards out in 20 feet of water.

The worst thing is you're probably not joking. My record on lost leads is not quite so auspicious as yours but I'm on a roll at the moment, so much so I can't recall my last lost lead.

I do know that only a fool would fish a fixed lead, with slack lines and stow bobbins. The same fool that ditches his lead on a take.

It made me laugh the other day, I got given a lecture on rig safety from a jumped up little to$$er that hadn't even heard of a running rig...

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe a couple of scuba divers with metal detectors will clear the place out every time the 'fishery' owner has a cash flow problem.:wh
QUOTE]

There was once an infamous stretch of Welsh club salmon water, now mostly closed to fishing, that in any 1960s to late 1980s fishing season was fished every day of the season by anglers fishing the running worm bunch with varying sizes of bored bullet or lead bomb, sometimes with huge success (I once had five fish in a morning, a pal of mine had nine), always with huge, mostly unavoidable, lead loss.

Cue a big summer drought and the river falling to its bare bones....

I collected over forty pounds of lost lead from the gravels and rock ledges of the The Gwar one morning, my companion (the nine salmon man) having just as much. And as for the "spaghetti" of lost mono and rusting hooks that accompanied it....

jasonbean1

Reaction score
technically i'd pressume it's ilegall to intentially dump lead in water?

terry m

Reaction score
The EA will tell you that you must never knowingly pollute a water course.

Whether dropping a lead meets the criteria for 'pollution' I doubt it. If it does, then so does lobbing in hundreds of boilies, sea fish, salt, groundbait, yadda yadda yadda.....