Jetskis and waterskiing on the Trent allowed ?

leesurf

Reaction score
Well i went fishing today for hopefully a quiet time and a few fish, baited up, set up. Then 2 jet skis appeared from nowhere going flat out past me then a speed boat with a water skier being towed ! And continued to just go up and down the river flat out.......

Swans, ducks flying everywhere. So much for a quiet day by the river. I thought there were speed limits on rivers ? Or am i wrong ? And if it is wrong who could i report it too ?

It was on the Stoke Bardolph stretch in Nottingham......

flightliner

Reaction score
Well i went fishing today for hopefully a quiet time and a few fish, baited up, set up. Then 2 jet skis appeared from nowhere going flat out past me then a speed boat with a water skier being towed ! And continued to just go up and down the river flat out.......

Swans, ducks flying everywhere. So much for a quiet day by the river. I thought there were speed limits on rivers ? Or am i wrong ? And if it is wrong who could i report it too ?

It was on the Stoke Bardolph stretch in Nottingham......
Same thing on some tidal streches lee. There you are, not a soul in sight and a skier comes downriver. At first he doesnt see you on account of upstream bushes and foliege and goes on downstream, but, he clocks you on the way back and thereafter he turns in front of you every run down, he needs an audience for his showboating and you're it---- your swim is ruined and you may as well just go elsewhere. They know what they're doing:eek:mg:but never change.
They are, to my knowledge perfectly legal in there pursuit.I understand they can only start after four pm, its worth checking out with the EA tho.As for the speed--it goes with the pursuit.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
HUmm a few trees falling into the water would be very useful does one not think ..

just like the canal barge owners that head straight for your keep net ..at a lot more than 4 MPH ..

ravey

Reaction score
Likely launched from near Gunthorpe bridge. I know that they aren't allowed till after 3.00pm at weekends, but not sure about weekdays.

I get them at Caythorpe and Hoveringham as well, probably launched from Hazleford.

I think that there are 'zones' where they are not allowed to travel so quickly, East Bridgford being one, I think.

British Waterways may offer some info.

They have never really bothered me, and I've never had them deliberately try to annoy me. Can't see the attraction myself, but each to their own...

B

binka

I used to race jet skis and the legislation on where you could launch was very restrictive indeed both on flowing and stillwaters.

I've also witnessed water skiers at Gunthorpe and not sure as to what the legislation is except that I would be highly doubtful if it wasn't very restrictive too in order to avoid bankside erosion and distress to wildlife... might be interesting to find out and see if it's being broken?

hyperdrive

Reaction score
Not 100% sure but I think that the tidal trent downstream of Gainsborough has had the speed limits lifted, the rest of the trent is either 6 or 8 mph BUT there are a few sections that have speed limits lifted for ski clubs, not sure of the stretch details though

leesurf

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. They launched on the slipway at Stoke Bardolph. Both the jet skiers and the Waterskiers.

I just thought there was a standard speed limit for the whole river. I'll phone the EA and ask today.