pound for pound

C

Clive Evans

Today I fished at Meadowlands (Ryton, nr Coventry). Had a nice mixed bag which included a chub in lovely condition,bright colour not a mark on it.Weighed it, 4lb. Few fish later, nice tench, 4lb. Later in the evening the carp brothers put in an appearance. The second caught, also 4lb....All on the same light rod and line.

Guess which one gave the best fight!

Now if only they'd all been 10lb instead

R

Ron Clay

I reckon the chub. I've caught lots of big still water chub to 6lb 3 oz from gravel pits near Oxford and they certainly put up a great fight.

I know that Lake Clive, I used to live in Leamington Spa.

F

Fred Bonney

Having not caught a stillwater Chub,i'd go for the Tench to.

R

Ron Clay

If the tench was a male it should beat the chub.

However it took me 55 minutes to beat a 6lb 1oz chub on light tackle in 1997

D

David Will

For those who know the Royalty I once hooked a 20lb Common Carp at Watersmeet on barbel gear , the river was in flood and I eventually landed it in the Railway Pool , that was fun.
Hybrids tend to outfight the parent species and Ghosties fight very hard. Male Tench though are my favourite fighters.

M

Mike Parker

Clive,

YOU did coz you beat them All!!!!! having said that I'd say the chub gave you the most fun.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Dave.
I had a 14Ib Common whilst fishing for Barbel at Kickles. After a quite amazing battle the fish surfaced and I was convinced that the Barbel record was about to be blown away. With the fish on the bank I couldn't stop laughing, I was shaking like a leaf and could not believe the power of the fish. Carp out of rivers are a real handful, I think it's the way that they use their shape against the flow of the water.

D

David Will

Murray I had no idea it was a Carp till it surfaced , got quite a shock as this was before Carp were common on the river. I didn't think it was a Barbel but I had visions of a 30lb Salmon. Strange thing was the next bite was a similar sized Carp that came in like a wet sack.

C

Clive Evans

It was a rare (for me, anyway) chance to compare the fight of different species at the same weight.
The chub and the tench were both lively, but lacked the power and endurance shown by the carp (a common).
I know you cannot make a true judgement on one example, but in this instance the carp won hands down!
How I would love to repeat the experience on a river, with a 4lb barbel in the frame'

An interesting response, thanks to all.

K

Kevan Farmer

I personally wish gudgeon would grow to a weight of 3 to 4lb. Seriously, the way they fight it would make a good scrap if they were bigger.

Kevan

J

Jim Crosskey

Clive, I know what you mean about the carp but....the reason I'd rather catch a 4lb tench is that the fish's instinct is to stay near the bottom (like barbel). Carp definitely fight harder, but somehow that deep diving thing does it for me.

And Kevan, let's have those 4lb Gudgeon!! Bring em on!