Anyone used this?

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Once again I'm asking about rods, the TF Gear website are doing a great deal on one of their all-rounder rods. I was going to get the 8-10ft Compact All-Rounder but as I've got the NGT 8ft stalker rod, I see little point in buying that. I'm now looking at the TF Gear Banshee 11-13ft All-Rounder as my next buy, just wondering if anyone has used it? It's £59.99 so a little pricey but its a rod to cover most situations I'll face, plus if I order off the TF Gear website I'll get a free reel. If anyone's used it a reply would be spot on :D
Thanks, Cal.

A

alan whittington

Once again I'm asking about rods, the TF Gear website are doing a great deal on one of their all-rounder rods. I was going to get the 8-10ft Compact All-Rounder but as I've got the NGT 8ft stalker rod, I see little point in buying that. I'm now looking at the TF Gear Banshee 11-13ft All-Rounder as my next buy, just wondering if anyone has used it? It's £59.99 so a little pricey but its a rod to cover most situations I'll face, plus if I order off the TF Gear website I'll get a free reel. If anyone's used it a reply would be spot on :D
Thanks, Cal.

Well cal ,I had one,it was a nice piece of kit,my only problem was the sections were awkward lengths when I wanted to leave the rod made up in the car.

chrissh

Reaction score
I also had the all rounder found it heavy only used 3-4 times sold it on Ebay for £10.00 I would rate it 4.5 out of 10

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Cal, most used tackle ( even if used once or twice ) is worth half it's original price. I suggest you look at a £100 rod second hand for £50.
You'll get a better rod and it will stay roughly the same value as you paid for it if you look after it.
No brainer really innit?

A

alan whittington

I also had the all rounder found it heavy only used 3-4 times sold it on Ebay for £10.00 I would rate it 4.5 out of 10

Chrissh,do you mean heavy in weight or action,if weight,I don't know what rod of 10ft in length with an Avon action would be lighter,if action,then I can understand if you were expecting a feeder type rod.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I had a TF 14ft rod, if i had carried on using it, I would have ended up like Popeye. Poor balance, Poor action, and the rod had a bow in it, this was in the first third of the middle section, (my MK1V carp rod has less of a bow.)

All I can say about that rod is Robin Hood would have been happy firing Arrows from the middle section.

Some good TF gear, but in general it is more low end gear IMO.

Plenty of good second hand rods on flea bay for £50/£60, or try gum tree.

cal_sutt

Reaction score
I had a TF 14ft rod, if i had carried on using it, I would have ended up like Popeye. Poor balance, Poor action, and the rod had a bow in it, this was in the first third of the middle section, (my MK1V carp rod has less of a bow.)

All I can say about that rod is Robin Hood would have been happy firing Arrows from the middle section.

Some good TF gear, but in general it is more low end gear IMO.

Plenty of good second hand rods on flea bay for £50/£60, or try gum tree.

I was hoping to get one of these "all rounder" rods, with the waggler/float style top and the feeder carrier (plus tips of course). I have found a Garbolino equivalent to this rod as well as a Shakespeare one so I'm a little spoilt for choice now!:eek:mg:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I was hoping to get one of these "all rounder" rods, with the waggler/float style top and the feeder carrier (plus tips of course). I have found a Garbolino equivalent to this rod as well as a Shakespeare one so I'm a little spoilt for choice now!:eek:mg:

The only good multi tip rod i had, and have ever seen, was the Old style John Wilson. Others i have tried had one good top section, i.e. the quiver, or the float/Avon section, only Wilson's rod managed to have both the top sections that worked with the butt section. IMO.

cal_sutt

Reaction score
The only good multi tip rod i had, and have ever seen, was the Old style John Wilson. Others i have tried had one good top section, i.e. the quiver, or the float/Avon section, only Wilson's rod managed to have both the top sections that worked with the butt section. IMO.

I have been worrying about whether the top and butt section would work well together or not. Having said that, I think I might stick to buying separate rods to cover as much as possible rather than trying to find the perfect "all rounder".

symonh2000

Reaction score
I have an older JW Avon Quiver here as well, and it is a very good all rounder and both sections do work very well together.

I have noticed that in recent years tackle has become more focused. Things like Pellet wagglers, Barbel rods, stalking rods have all appeared where as a few years back one rod was called upon to cover several jobs.

Personally I use an 8 foot 30-50g casting weight spinning rod for stalking carp, and I also use the same rod for sink and draw deadbaiting and of course heavier spinning.

The Avon top from the JW Avon Quiver is great for waggler fishing on stillwater, and Avon/Chubber type flaot fishing on rivers. The Quiver section has landed me some nice Barbel up to 11lb 8oz.

Also, heavier carp rods are fine for general Pike fishing, a light beachcaster is fine as a spod or marker rod and a light spinning rod is great for stalking chub on rivers when using baits such as slugs.

We have been conditioned to think that you need a specific rod for a specific purpose, probably so that we buy more gear. But in reality one rod will do several jobs perfectly well.