It's All About The Take, Isn't It?

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Re: It's All About The Take, Isn't It?

Absolutely, Martin!
I've never done the 'flats' thing but would dearly love to at some time (when I win the lottery) However, my most memorable and exciting fishing was done in the early 90s on the upper Chelmer in Essex - now a silted-up ditch thanks to the EA's inaction...I kept telling them....
NOBODY knew of this humble river's potential and even when I first decided to experiment I wasn't expecting too much, but a 4.8 chub got me thinking differently! For years after that the water was effectively mine to fish whenever I wanted - normally with free-lined crust, Mitchell Prince and 10ft Davenport & Fordham's Farstrike Avon.....oh! The thrill of seeing the water 'hump' twenty yards downstream then to bend into fish of up to 5.4 - my heaviest. There were carp too, and when THEY took off...well! It took as long as 20 mins to get them to the net. My heaviest was 11lb, I think. I even had an 11lb pike grab a 3lb chub - both of which I netted (and, curiously, the hook was removed from the PIKE's jaw!???) But the point is - the TAKE. Crust, skilfully unchecked, slowly drifting and meandering beneath dark-bramble overhangs....further...further....then a silent eruption of black water...yes! Ten feet of cane curved into a half-circle on a warm summer's evening - what more could you want?!

martinsalter

Reaction score
Re: It's All About The Take, Isn't It?

Peter. We've finally bonded ! :)