Good fishing clothing!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
just a heads up for you guys,

Over the last couple of months I have been searching high and low for some decent, hard wearing clothing for fishing and bird watching/bushcraft/land maintenance and I kept coming across the brand 5.11 (Its based on a rock climbing term!) and after buying a few items including shirts and trousers I can honestly say that it is the most durable outdoor clothing I have ever had, brilliant gear and well worth the cost! Please take no notice of the Tactical branding the company uses, the trousers are nothing like those cheap baggy ex army combats that you find and are smart enough to wear down the pub!

5.11 Tactical, Military Clothing, Army Surplus and Combat Footwear | Free Delivery | Summer 2014 Range

mick b

Reaction score
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the link.

Have you brought any of their trousers/pants, if so which and do they stop thorn and horsefly penetration?

Since I retired Ive put on a few inches and my issued clothing has become a little.....errr tight :eek:mg:

P

pointngo

cheers for the link Mark... I,m very tempted by the Sabre 2.0 jacket.

sam vimes

Reaction score
5.11 stuff is pretty good, even if it does seem a little expensive. I originally bought some of the old style heavyweight cotton twill pants from a discount shop for a bargain price. That was about five or six years back and they are still going strong. I've since bought some of the ripstop polycotton pants. They are good, much lighter weight, much quicker drying when they get wet, but I find that they can be a bit prone to causing sweat when it's really warm. I'll be having some more of the new version cotton twill pants at some point.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the link.

Have you brought any of their trousers/pants, if so which and do they stop thorn and horsefly penetration?

Since I retired Ive put on a few inches and my issued clothing has become a little.....errr tight :eek:mg:

Hi mick, I have the TDU ripstop and the stryke pants and they are brilliant, proper thick poly cotton and very comfortable, same with the shirts, superb build quality and made to last but I have found that the ripstop are a little undersized around the waist, the Stryke are a much better fit, they look smart too! And yes mick they DO keep out the mossies!

Another good brand they do is Blackhawk, I have a couple of their heavy duty cotton shirts and they are very robust...If you can get hold of them, they are like the proverbial RHS!

Oh, and Nightgear are a brilliant company to deal with ;)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mick/Sam,

The new Stryke pants (ok, trousers then!) are really comfy as they stretch with you! they are a bit more expensive but really are worth it, this is the clothing that ray mears has worn for many years (youtube the wild food vids) and he swears by it, you can buy it from his web site too! a fine endorsement as Ray does not buy/use rubbish! ;)

By the way, the Tac-lite shirts are superb! ;)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I never, I've often wondered where Action Man and G.I. Joe got their clothing from . . . . now I know

Have to ask; how many weekender action men bought this gay little number?

Light My Fire Swedish Fireknife Camping Knive - at Nightgear Military Surplus | Free Delivery | Summer 2014 Range

Don't knock it peter, a lot of our lads in the middle east buy this gear!

Those knifes are actually quite good, although that particular range with the firesteel are pretty ugly! The basic Mora knives are absolutely outstanding for the money (around £12!) and they are really, really sharp! most bushcraft schools use them and many outdoors folk use them because its no big hardship if they lose them!

For the ultimate rambo website Peter, take a look at this one ;)

Welcome to Heinnie Haynes | Heinnie Haynes

P

pointngo

do you reckon the tactical gear is as tough as heavy duty walking kit/light mountain trekking when it comes to boots and waterproof jackets?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Mick/Sam,

The new Stryke pants (ok, trousers then!) are really comfy as they stretch with you! they are a bit more expensive but really are worth it, this is the clothing that ray mears has worn for many years (youtube the wild food vids) and he swears by it, you can buy it from his web site too! a fine endorsement as Ray does not buy/use rubbish! ;)

By the way, the Tac-lite shirts are superb! ;)

I couldn't care less what Ray Mears wears! I did notice him wearing a 5.11 shirt on TV last week. However, he's famous (amongst the bushcraft types, at least) for promoting the Fjallraven brand. I guess it'll really matter who gives him more free stuff or more money.

nicepix

Reaction score
do you reckon the tactical gear is as tough as heavy duty walking kit/light mountain trekking when it comes to boots and waterproof jackets?

What the **** is 'tactical' in relation to a pair of trousers? :confused:

I'm afraid that whenever I read the words 'tactical' and 'technical outer shell' in relation to clothing the Walt filter kicks in and I go back to the ****ies gear that has served me well for the last couple of years.

terry m

Reaction score

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
What the **** is 'tactical' in relation to a pair of trousers? :confused:

I'm afraid that whenever I read the words 'tactical' and 'technical outer shell' in relation to clothing the Walt filter kicks in and I go back to the ****ies gear that has served me well for the last couple of years.

Tactical means the tactics they use to get you to shell out extra wonga for the technical gear.

nicepix

Reaction score
Tactical means the tactics they use to get you to shell out extra wonga for the technical gear.

Thanks Ray. I thought there would be a logical explanation to it. :D

Makes you wonder how the lads landing on the Normandy beaches went on in 1944 with no technical outer shells and Merino base layers. "Sarge! Sarge! You can't expect me to get out of this boat and wade ashore. It will invalidate the warranty on my expensive technical walking boots.........."

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, you do have a point Sam, he used to wear a citizen watch named after him till he got celebrity status and now he wears a Rolex! You can't knock him for liking good quality though mate!

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:49 ----------

I wear light weight tec gear when fell walking, ie montane, which is top notch, but for general outdoor wear, you can't beat this stuff, take no notice of the "tactical" tag, it's just an American term for work wear! ;)

---------- Post added at 23:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

I couldn't care less what Ray Mears wears! I did notice him wearing a 5.11 shirt on TV last week. However, he's famous (amongst the bushcraft types, at least) for promoting the Fjallraven brand. I guess it'll really matter who gives him more free stuff or more money.

Yes, Sam, he does like FR gear, and he probably gets a " bonus " for saying so but I have a dislike for their gear for years as they seem to have gone a bit daft with their prices!!

hyperdrive

Reaction score
I go back to the ****ies gear that has served me well for the last couple of years.

I've been using ****ies gear for years and I don't have to renew it that often it is good stuff and cheaper than the 5.11 gear, I buy it from a local workwear shop. I'm sure 5.11 stuff is good gear but when I can get a few years wear out of something half the price it's a no brainer for me.. I get my boots from one of the outdoor clothing shops, ok these are not cheap but they last me years.

paul.gregory.108889

Reaction score
Ok mate, the best fishing and outdoor wear is Halkon hunt, very expensive but the best, I've had my gortex bib&brace and jacket for 7 yrs, still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk