"Bird Proof" Bait.

R

Robert Woods

I'm having trouble with diving ducks and coots in the clear lake I'm fishing.Would colouring my boilies in black or blue help as I have been advised.Would using small particles like hemp or red band attract instead of larger ones.

K

Kevan Busby

Hi Robert, I've not had much success with dark coloured boilies, I was at a lecture by Rob Hughes a while ago and he came out with the statement that Coots have taste receptors in their feet! Yep, I thought that was a wind up too but it is genuine. So no matter what colour your baits are the little buggers are gonna smell them. I've had takes from Coots in 20ft of water. What we have found is that they don't take kindly to a marker float whistling over their heads or being popped at with a catapult. Its something that we have to grin and bear i'm afraid, unless anyone else knows different.

G

Gary Knowles

Robert,

Particles won't make any difference mate. When bream fishing over large beds of seeds or maggots I've caught a sucsession of tufties (and a couple of mallards) all through the night on some waters.

The really annoying thing is that a kiting tuftie duck feels just like a big bream !

R

Robert Woods

Kevan,no wonder I hooked a coot in the foot if they have "taste receptors" in their feet!!!.Suppose fitting small plastic bags on their feet would help.