Stillwater barbel not for me.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I have just been told by an old angling friend of a recent catch of fish from a local commercial fishery. Included in the catch of tench were ''barbel'', I couldn't believe it. I remember year's ago when well known angler Peter Rayment talked of barbel being stocked into a reservoir, and that he planned to give them a go. What exactly was the outcome I don't recall.

For me it just doesn't sit right, am I wrong? is there a place for stillwater barbel?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Nope!

Barbel live in rivers Derek, that's it, end of!

Bog-off to the puddle brigade, it aint right!

That's my final post on this thread.................

Morespiders

Reaction score
Yes theres a place for Barbel in stillwaters, cram them on top, or underneath the carp.

Nicely topped off with a covering of dace./forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

Morespiders

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Mark Hewitt (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Here we go again........................</blockquote>No Derek, It's aimed at me/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

Paul C

Reaction score
Most of the barbel in this country shouldnt be in the rivers they are in as they were stocked there by man often to the detriment of what ought to have been there.

There's little differnce and lots of double standards and plenty of purist nonesense.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Derek Gibson wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I have just been told by an old angling friend of a recent catch of fish from a local commercial fishery. Included in the catch of tench were ''barbel'', I couldn't believe it. I remember year's ago when well known angler Peter Rayment talked of barbel being stocked into a reservoir, and that he planned to give them a go. What exactly was the outcome I don't recall.

For me it just doesn't sit right, am I wrong? is there a place for stillwater barbel?</blockquote>

Derek, i used to bump into Peter Rayment from time to time, nice fella, sad day for Midland angling when he pased away...............i think he was talking about "accidental" stockings into reserviors connected to the middle Severn......if memory serves me well it was suspected that barbel fry pasted into the res via pipe work etc.

The res certainly held barbel but i never fished for them, and don't know how they fared........but i know Peter and a few others caught them.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Paul, thank's for filling in the gap mate. I always wondered how those fish fared. You're right about Peter, I only met him a couple of times, but he came across as a genuine guy.

Oh dear, we're getting into nostalgia, mustn't do that eh? someone may take exception, that wouldn't do would it ha,ha.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Derek Gibson wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Paul, thank's for filling in the gap mate. I always wondered how those fish fared. You're right about Peter, I only met him a couple of times, but he came across as a genuine guy.

Oh dear, we're getting into nostalgia, mustn't do that eh? someone may take exception, that wouldn't do would it ha,ha.</blockquote>
Only perhaps those who have no real friendships to remember and prize. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Old Derek's only been around FM for five minutes and he's going to fit in just fine. Unfortunately he doesn't understand the calendar!

Derek, we have a row about stillwater barbel in April and May, then it's barbel in keepnets through June. Come July Ron will start moaning about there being too many carp. In August, when the fishing usually gets a bit harder, the EA comes in for stick about weed cutting. As autumn approaches we hammer the immigrants who are stealing pike and zander for the pot and then it's Christmas when we all kiss and make up.

In January Ron will start a thread about lure fishing and if the weather's really bad he'll play one of his two allowable wild cards. They are, anything to do with Africa and **** Walker.

Then it all starts again.

You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Did I miss any of the classics, folks?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hahaha very good Bob.

You did forget one topic, it pops up at any time of year, Bobv Tony............

Sorry Bob /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Nope nothing wrong with barbel in stillwaters, if you can put them in rivers where they dont belong, then you can put them anywhere.

Its the same as people saying Carp shouldnt be in rivers.

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Bob Roberts wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Did I miss any of the classics, folks?</blockquote>

I'll say - THE ANNUAL CLOSE SEASON DEBATE.

You can't possibly leave that one out.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

And the annual Dog Biscuit sign my dodgy pettition plan.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
The close season debate probably goes without saying, by the end of 10 pages everyone and their mum will have had a few insults.