Hunting Ban and Angling

C

Chris Betts

Some of you may be aware that during the recent debate on banning hunting that I advocated writing to The Prime Minister putting the fears of anglers to him. Which I had done.

I was not really expecting a responce, so imagine my surprise when I got home from work yesterday to find a letter was waiting for me from DEFRA. It explained that they were dealing with my letter as the relevant department.

It stated that Shooting and Angling would be protected by the government as there was no cruelty issue to answer. The ban of hunting was being considered purely on this issue. It thanked me for my letter and indicated that if I wished to correspond further I should contact a specific person who is dealing with the whole hunting issue.

Stupidly I have left the letter at home so I cannot give a name to you. However I intend to reply, when I have formulated a sutable responce. Any points you want to make I would be happy to pass on.

Finally the letter also included a transcript of the statement made by rural affairs minister to the house of commons, which also clearly states the governments intention to protect Angling.

Just thought I would let everyone know as I was gob smacked to say the least. But maybe I am a easily pleased.

M

Mike Parker

Just the same as reducing NHS waiting lists and reducing child poverty,reducing third world debt, reducing................I'm sorry its not a political thing, its just that I do not trust any reply or 'intention'

We are always intending to have one last cast - for 2 hours or more. If we can't be true to ourselves why should the Government be any different?

K

Kevan Farmer

Well done Chris. Mike. I too am highly sceptical of this government and indeed any government of any political persuasion. However, this may be the open door we need to get some positive feedback to those in the halls of power.

Chris. How about suggesting that any anti angling activities be made specifically an illegal act? At the moment if anybody is injured by the antis it goes under something like GBH . If we had a specific law defending anglers and their possessions then we are automatically elevated onto a higher level of security for the future of our sport.

Maybe this could form the basis of a mass petition from anglers?

Kevan

C

Chrisx Ess

Well done Chris. The trouble is, of course, that the antis have their own agenda and don't care much about what government policy is. Having said that, it WAS/IS declared Labour Party policy to abolish hunting with hounds - presumably this gave the animal rights lobby quite a lot of encouragement.
We should also remember that the government have been accused of dragging their feet over the hunting issue, and it was suggested that Labour were pandering to the countryside vote.

C

Chris Betts

Thanks chaps for the comments. I appreciate them. Mike I uderstand your views, as I said I was quite taken aback to get a reply. However as Chrisx says banning hunting was a government policy, that is in the process of being instigated. I personally do'nt have a problem with that. I find the idea of hunting down animals with dogs, so they can be torn apart disgusting. Fishing is nothing like this and I am not happy about any attempt to link us with the hunting brigade, tarring with the same brush springs to mind.

The government would appear to accept that in the feel that there is no cruelty case to answer. Which means that the anti's constantly banging on about the now discredited madway report has made no impression at all. Just as the the government stated it intended to ban hunting with dogs it has now stated, verbally to the house of commons, and in a much less important way to me in writing that it intends to protect hunting and fishing.

We know the anti's have there own agenda, but we now know that the law and government of the land is against any interference with our licenced sport. This gives us leverage.

Kevan I think it would be great if we could get some laws specifically to protect us. I do'nt think this will happen as the laws on trepass, public disorder, damaging private property and the various breach of the peace laws cover all the "direct action" these people state they intend to take. Besides why give their movement credence by creating laws. Doing time for say interfering with angling, would create mini martyrs for them.

Anyway I intend to bring it to DEFRA's notice that these people are advocating trouble. If you visit the Campaigns for the Abolition of Anglings web site, they advocate public disorder. This could in theory mens that the writers of this rubbish could also be arrested, as the public disorder laws allow for the insightment of public disorder. I am told by friends in the police that this crime carries a heavier sentence than the actual carrying out of the act. Thanks again keep the ideas comming. I have an idea of how to frame the reply now so will start working on a draught now.

I feel that the SAA will already be onto this but any public pressure only strengthens the case they are putting forward. So why do'nt you all pick up your pens and right to the PM. If I can get a responce acting on my own, just think what we can do if we all try. Public pressure makes policy, thats the nature of democracy.

K

Kevan Farmer

Chris. I'll get my letter done. I will send one direct to phoney Tony and one to my local MP who is a tory but still. I'm going to point out the violent tactics advocated and promoted by the antis. We are lawfully pursuing a perfectly legitimate pastime so why should we have to put up with illegal intimidation? Whether implied or actually pursued?

Kevan

C

Chris Betts

Thats the spirit Kevan, lets use the system against these people.

M

Martin Wright

The last thing I would want is a special law to protect Anglers.

I think it would play right into the Antis hands by making out that we're a special case who need extra help because of what we do.

The laws of this country already give adaquate protection but no law will prevent someone from attacking you or chucking stones at you. At present though, if this happens the Angler will always get the sympathy of the Police and the public.

C

Chris Betts

Exactly Martin as I said earlier all the laws currently in place regarding publiv disorder and trespass cover us and protect us.