Letter to Ted Carter From Woman that Confiscates Grandson's Fishing Tackle

Reaction score
This letter is knocking about on face book and various forums.

The woman is totally anti angling and believes tackle shops should not sell to under 18s. When she found out that her grandson had spent his birthday money on fishing gear and had been fishing with his friend, she confiscated his new gear and and wrote this leter to Ted Carters.

Letter

Notice how she didn't have the guts to sign it though!

hyperdrive

Reaction score
If that is genuine it's unbelievable, anti angling or not letting the kid go fishing is better than smashing up bus shelters and terrorising pensioners that some 14 year olds do. the womans a lunatic

barryjh

Reaction score
Antis can be retarded in the extreme! It's exactly this sort of idiot who doesn't think twice about sitting down to tuck into a joint of beef or leg of lamb, and yet "despises" fishing as cruel.

I had the misfortune of having two volunteers knock on my door fundraising for the RSPCA. After explaining to them that I enjoy shooting and fishing, and therefore would never give them anything, one of them said: "Well how would you like it if somebody dragged you out of the water by a hook?" :eek: Why the $%*K would I be swimming in a fishing lake eating baits? I asked. They left.

greenie62

Reaction score
believes tackle shops should not sell to under 18s.

I'll go along with that ;)- just up it to 50 year olds and we MIGHT get some responsible advertising - as well as peace and quiet on the bankside! :D:D:D
Signed,
Victor Meldrew

PS: Uh-oh!... Will the non-anglers take up another sport - like canoe paddling? :rolleyes::eek:mg:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A woman with common sence and values hey,

Sounds to me like she holds a grudge for the young lad that left her years ago because he preferred to go fishing instead! :D

john step

Reaction score
Antis can be retarded in the extreme! It's exactly this sort of idiot who doesn't think twice about sitting down to tuck into a joint of beef or leg of lamb, and yet "despises" fishing as cruel.

I had the misfortune of having two volunteers knock on my door fundraising for the RSPCA. After explaining to them that I enjoy shooting and fishing, and therefore would never give them anything, one of them said: "Well how would you like it if somebody dragged you out of the water by a hook?" :eek: Why the $%*K would I be swimming in a fishing lake eating baits? I asked. They left.

I have a relative who told me fishing was cruel. I asked her if she ate fish. "Yes" was the reply. She was perturbed when I asked her had she never seen film footage of the trawler nets being emptied onto the deck with the bottom most fish being walked over. Then they go down below to be gutted mostly alive. "They kill them individually and humanly" she replied. No I said. I wonder if she still eats fish. :wh

greenie62

Reaction score
That would re-calibrate her "common" sense...
There are several problems here:
- Is she his legal guardian or was she acting 'in loco parentis'?
- If it had been a flick Knife she confiscated - would she still need her re-calibration?
- Given he bought the tackle with his pocket money it might not exceed the value test set by the courts for a Small Claims action (I think £75 minimum)
- Had he got proof of purchase/ownership?
- If she has destroyed the tackle a complaint to the police of Criminal Damage may be more successful :rolleyes:
- The most hopeful line might be to refer the incident to Social Services for investigation - hoping you get an officer who could see that it would be 'in the child's best interest' to go fishing rather than be a bus-stop groupie and to be removed from the sphere of control of the barmy cow!

Ho Hum - some folks - eh?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
That would certainly show her more red tape than she could shake a stick at!

Let's hope she sees sense and gives it back, intact - if she wanted to try and influence his activities, she should have given him actual presents, not money. Not that it would help her - I remember a childhood christmas ruined by having to try to write a "Thank-you" letter for a pair of football socks, for which I had absolutely no use - couldn't even use them to keep my feet warm while fishing, 'cos none of my rellies gave me any tackle!

greenie62

Reaction score
'cos none of my rellies gave me any tackle!

Ah - I see - that explains why you are into antique tackle - you're trying to recover your post-war childhood! :p:D

Steve2020

Reaction score
A lot of people on facebook seem to think it's animal rights against anything

Sent from mobile using tapatalk

greenie62

Reaction score
Think he'll resent her as he ages.
D'ye reckon, la'? - If he doesn't already!

Let's hope he sees it as a 'learning experience' and turns out to be a top angler! Given he bought his gear at Ted Carter's I'd guess he's a NW lad - possibly Preston area - I'd guess there's a whole host of FM anglers up here who'd go bat for the kid against the barmy cow/misguided gran (delete as appropriate) if they could!

Hope all is OK for you and the family after the hols - did you get any more fishing in?

Judas Priest

Reaction score
If genuine it shows her, and her daughter, to be nothing but stupid people. You can guarantee the lad will grow up despising both of them.

Laughed at the bit about my son is a councillor, a more dishonest self serving bunch of parasites you'd be hard to find, and she's got friends at the Lancashire evening post. Wow the Lancs post, a paper with a vast circulation figure of how many ?

You'd have thought though she'd have had her hands full dealing with the Fracking companies, Halal meat butchers, groups of hoodies hanging around her street, and sourcing ethical clothing and shoes.