TideFest

greenie62

Reaction score
Question:
Is an EA Licence required for this section of the Thames?
I know that many tidal areas of rivers are regarded as part of the marine environment and exempt from EA angling licences - where does such a 'line' exist on the Thames?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Question:
Is an EA Licence required for this section of the Thames?
I know that many tidal areas of rivers are regarded as part of the marine environment and exempt from EA angling licences - where does such a 'line' exist on the Thames?

I think the "line" is drawn downstream of the Thames Tidal Barrier at Woolwich.

I'll see if I can dig out a reference . . . . .

Well, that didn't take long, thanks to good old 'goggle' . . . . . . .

http://www.thamesweb.com/visiting-the-thames/87-thames-angling.html

john step

Reaction score
The results will be very interesting. There used to be an annual event with anglers fishing various points right through London and beyond to ascertain what was living in the Tidal.

greenie62

Reaction score
I think the "line" is drawn downstream of the Thames Tidal Barrier at Woolwich.

I'll see if I can dig out a reference . . . . .

Well, that didn't take long, thanks to good old 'goggle' . . . . . . .

http://www.thamesweb.com/visiting-th...s-angling.html
Thanks for that Peter,
Convenient that barrier thing innit?

It does raise a couple of related points though:
- Where was the line before they built the barrier?
- On rivers where there is no similar construction - where is the corresponding line?
- Also - as I interpret the EA regs, the licence requirement applies to fishing for Freshwater species and Eels - SO does that mean that people 'sea-fishing' in the Mersey or Dee estuary (for example) need an EA licence if they were to be 'lucky' enough to catch an eel?
- If you fish in the tidal Thames for flatties - as I understand it - you wouldn't need an EA licence since you're not fishing for freshwater species - if you unfortunately catch a freshwater fish, land and promptly release it - no foul!? No penalty?
Hmm!

john step

Reaction score
Thanks for that Peter,
Convenient that barrier thing innit?

It does raise a couple of related points though:
- Where was the line before they built the barrier?
- On rivers where there is no similar construction - where is the corresponding line?
- Also - as I interpret the EA regs, the licence requirement applies to fishing for Freshwater species and Eels - SO does that mean that people 'sea-fishing' in the Mersey or Dee estuary (for example) need an EA licence if they were to be 'lucky' enough to catch an eel?
- If you fish in the tidal Thames for flatties - as I understand it - you wouldn't need an EA licence since you're not fishing for freshwater species - if you unfortunately catch a freshwater fish, land and promptly release it - no foul!? No penalty?
Hmm!
There is a marker( can't remember where) that signifies the end of the Port of London Authority jurisdiction ie. where the sea begins I think?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
It was called the Yantlet line, one end of it being Yantlet Creek. I can't remember where the other end was, sorry!

Looks like I ought to go to swell the ranks, though I haven't been down to the Tidal for ages. Will any parking be arranged, or is it a train-job?
I really don't want to burger it up for any pukka matchmen nearby, so would my standard approach of trotting/ feedering bread with about 2 loaves-worth of groundbait be socially acceptable?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Alan, I have fished this venue a few times over the years in my club's annual match. It's dead easy to get to. M4 to Chiswick then South circular for a mile or so, as you approach Kew bridge take the first turning on the left and you are there. You can park on the road right by the river. Generally you will start the match as soon as it's possible to get down off the path onto the gravel shoreline (see the photo in the article) Take as little gear as possible as you will be constantly moving forward as the tide recedes. I generally take an old Leeda plastic seatbox with bait etc inside. Waders or wellies are essential as you will need to move your keepnet every time you move forward. I just take a medium feeder rod and fish groundbait (brown crumb and brasem) feeder with maggot hookbait. To stand a chance of framing you need to catch bream although there are plenty of dace and roach too. Target weight will be 25 to 30lb.
There's a nice pub just behind you with a balcony overlooking the river should you need a pint afterwards.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Framing? I'll be overjoyed if I catch!

Thank you very much for taking the time to give such detailed gen. I'll have to scout it out during the summer. I wonder if I can sell the family on a day out at Kew?

dangermouse

Reaction score
Is it not a license to use a rod, not a license to fish.?

Reminds me of a joke I was told on Monday at my pub poker league.

A young fellow is walking down the street and spots an old boy who has a fishing rod and is casting over a railway bridge onto the line below.

The youngster wanders up to the old boy and with a grin says "Caught many?"

The old boy turns around and says "Including you, five".

greenie62

Reaction score
Al,
Quick RUN - he's probably trying to collar you for the ATr!;)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I sincerely hope to participate in this event.
It would be brilliant to meet some FM members there too.
I'm sure there will be anglers from further away than Wigan making an appearance, whatever their opinion of certain organisations.

Who gives a monkeys.

Proper anglers don't .

martinsalter

Reaction score
Well said Peter !
Btw. TideFest is not restricted to Angling Trust members although I suspect I good number of those taking part will be AT members who support the organisation that is trying to improve things for fish and fishing.