Centrepin reel stopped working

lightdragoon

Reaction score
I have a TF gear centrepin and it's stopped turning so smoothly. It now also makes a clicking sound. There is a small part of the reel which controls the spin and is filled with jelly, but the reel got wet and a lot of the jelly like substance has gone. Josh

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like you have washed out the Grease from the bearing, how old is it? is it still under warranty? If it is still under warranty then contact the supplier, even a cheap reel like this should give reasonable service!

Last edited:

lightdragoon

Reaction score
First time out with it, though it got it soaking wet due to heavy rain.

lightdragoon

Reaction score
Does it matter that the jelly like substance seems to have been washed out?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does it matter that the jelly like substance seems to have been washed out?

Let it dry out and get some reel grease from your tackle dealer, if it doesn't work after that get it back to the supplier, ask for your money back and order a Young's! ;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The jelly will just be grease on the ratchet pawl, that missing won't affect the rotation of the spool.
Simply remove the spool / drum from the backplate...wipe it all down and add a bit of sewing machine oil to the bearings or onto the spindle...replace the spool and it should spin nice and free.

lightdragoon

Reaction score
It was a cheap centerpin, but has lots of positive reviews. Worked fantastically at the start.

lightdragoon

Reaction score
I am such a damn fool! There is a switch that stops it spinning freely and it was engaged! One of those I can't believe how I didn't miss that moments!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The current "Buy cheap Chinese, repent at leisure" items are LED lightbulbs, I hear. Some, if they don't electrocute you or cause an electrical fire, either don't light up when first switched on or die within minutes or hours.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was a cheap centerpin, but has lots of positive reviews. Worked fantastically at the start.

Trouble is the positive reviews come mostly from people who know nothing about centrepin reels, they get one and because it spins round for a while they reccommend it and it's the bees knees.

Lol you left the ratchet on .....sell it and get a better quality reel anyhow, if you like centrepin reels of course.

Last edited:

lightdragoon

Reaction score
Trouble is the positive reviews come mostly from people who know nothing about centrepin reels, they get one and because it spins round for a while they reccommend it and it's the bees knees.

I do fancy a really quality model and cane rod at some point in the future.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do fancy a really quality model and cane rod at some point in the future.

It is nicer using a better quality reel, you don't have to use a cane rod though, personally I prefer carbon ;).

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I am such a damn fool! There is a switch that stops it spinning freely and it was engaged! One of those I can't believe how I didn't miss that moments!

I was kind of tempted to suggest disengaging the button when you mentioned the clicking sound but thought it was a bit too obvious.
Keep at it mate and tight lines....

john step

Reaction score
Because I actually thought it was a wind up and was going to make some sarcastic/witty comment but now realise that would be cruel.
Well done for owning up to the fauxpas. I'm not sure I would be so honest.:wh

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The jelly will just be grease on the ratchet pawl, that missing won't affect the rotation of the spool.
Simply remove the spool / drum from the backplate...wipe it all down and add a bit of sewing machine oil to the bearings or onto the spindle...replace the spool and it should spin nice and free.

Sorry for my rubbish answer tig, been at a barbie drinking the old chardonnay all afternoon :eek:mg:

Oh and lightdragon, sorry for the vague answer to your question too!
but I meant what I said about buying a Young's centrepin though! ;)

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
As with all moving parts involving oil the single most important factor in keeping them in perfect nick is removing dirt and grit. No, not the stuff you can see easily that you wipe off with a cloth but that of minute proportions that can easily turn the oil into a fine grinding paste that works away on your spindle and bearing EVERY time you spin the reel.

Anyone who has any working knowledge of needle and roller bearings, particularly those of minute size will know what I'm talking about.......

As an (retired and boring !) engineer I cannot stress enough the importance of keeping moving parts of your reel scrupulously clean which, as far as I'm concerned means opening the reel once a week to check for said grime and EVERY time when it's been subjected to dust laden dust particles carried via rain etc.

The use of a 'kept for the job' soft cloth and the suggested sewing machine oil on a regular basis is a very good habit to have, as is the use of a proper bag in which to keep the reel !! Absolutely pointless to sling your precious c'pin reel into the tackle bag without protection, which, by definition is dust laden from many fishing trips

It'd worth mentioning that just because the reel spindle looks okay ( covered in a film of oil ) doesn't mean to say that it is okay. Any oil looking slightly 'grey' in colour, or in fact any other colour than the standard oil colour probably means the oil has mixed with some other substance. (Check you car engine oil a month or two after servicing to see the colour change.........not quite the same thing but you know what I mean!

It only takes a minute or two to wipe the moving parts and re oil although I'm not suggesting this needs to be done after every use UNLESS it's been used in really adverse conditions.
My own centrepins are all over 50 years old (one ore two a lot more) and all are still in perfect working condition even though some are used on a weekly basis, in winter summer, in rain and everything in between....

Some might say all of this is a little OTT, and they may well be correct to some extent, but IMHO total care of your gear means it is always reliable and ready to go although as my wife would probably tell you I am a very 'clean' person, sometimes to the extreme and it's not unusual to hear "you're not cleaning your fishing tackle AGAIN, are you"??

Anyway, although I like to lean toward 'perfect' rather than ' near enough is good enough'......I appreciate others may have a different view of clean, though...........................................