the john mc allister rig/multi rig

Colin W

Reaction score
this seems to be the bees knees rig [at the moment] anyone had good results using it ,only used it once [my last outing] i had a very good run but in the end i lost the fish , but been told to change my hook brand to fix this problem.

Colin W

Reaction score
good question , ive never heard of it called a multi rig untill i seen it on page 187 of the total carp magazine [september issue 2008] . i only knew it as the john mc allister rig or mike kavannah rig. it consits of a hook [usually one with an eye that bends away upwards from the shaft of the hook, coated material ie kryston/korda hybrid 20lb/25lb. a tiny 2mm or 3mm rig ring.NO KNOTLESS KNOT , the coated material is tied on after you make a overhand knot which the loop is then threaded through the eye of the hook then the rig ring is added then the loop is then put over the point of the hook , onto the rig rig would be dental floss /pop up of your choice. a little of the coated stuff could be stripped away to make a hinge and near this hinge is added a split shot at your chosen depth. job done. ... it was ali hamidi that called it the multi rig [in the magazine].

F

Frothey

cant quite tell from the description, but didn't mike "invent" (though it sits like a swimmer rig) something like 25 years ago?

Colin W

Reaction score
hi m8, according to what I've been reading on the rig it was invented 8 years ago. you know what its like rigs of bye gone years they seem to get re named many times so your prob right m8. the new British record was caught [twotone] on the same rig but the guy used a snowman .

Nathan

Reaction score
Oh i know what you mean now. I've got a couple tied up with Gardner Mugga hooks. Not tried them yet though but then again i'm not a huge fan of pop-ups unless they're for floater of zig rigs.

Colin W

Reaction score
thats the one bud , funny you should mention the gardner mugga hooks those are the ones ive been recomemded.

Colin W

Reaction score
thanks lads , i will send for some tonight ,any size recomemded 6/8/10s?. [sending for 6's ] but any one also use 8's /10's?.

Colin W

Reaction score
been trying to find in online but no luck, i see it in carpology magazine 2008 [may issue page70] and in september2008 issue of total carp [page187], seen is reported as the mike kavahnah rig/john mc allister rig and the ali hamidi multi rig./forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Nathan

Reaction score
It's also been in Crafty Carper. I'll try to find some pictures but it is a really simple rig.

Colin W

Reaction score
yes i agree a very simple rig , and the thing i love about it you can take the hook off if its bluny and change to a new one anytime AND it lets you know it a fish has been at your bait because it puuls itsself to the eye of the hook.

Colin W

Reaction score
lol. see what you meen i was thinking that too. BUT it explains it in the story that john mc allister writes in carpology [may 08] page 71.

Colin W

Reaction score
lol i dont thats why i dont trust politicians or companys that bring out stuff ie- buy this golf club it will get your drive 2 inchies longer and there only 500pound each ,but the gullable public jump at it and say oooo i will have two of those please....DOH!!! johns story says bringing the rig in and seeing it in that position has only happened less than a handfull of times in an 8 year period of using the rig. so if you were to reel it in into weed ive no doubt it would move down to the eye of the hook. hes saying if he dosent get a run it comes in EVERY time without moving unless hes had a fight with a bream/carp. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Nathan

Reaction score
Well as I say i've not yet felt the need to try it, i've been catching on the rigs im using at the moment so i dont see the need to change. I may try it during winter when fishing singles - do you think it would work attached to a chod/helicopter rig?

Colin W

Reaction score
i agree bud no need to change it your catching, yes it does work on chod rigs/helli's. tight lines m8, the rig is more used in autum winter with single pop ups but did see a report of a guy using it with a mesh pva baf and or a stringer./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif