Which of these fishery rules would you disagree or agree with

bennygesserit

Reaction score
This is a cut and paste of the rules from a local fishery holding carp up to 15 but with various silvers in the same pool are there any that you vehemently disagree with or that you think might affect fish health? I hate the no surface fishing rule and I am wondering about the maximum size 12 hook - any leap out at you ? ( I assume the barbless hook one would leap out at some that's probably a given )

(Sorry about the bold cant seem to get rid of it )

General rules

• No keepnet’s except matches
  • Barbless hooks only
  • 1 rod only per person
  • Maxmium Hook size 12
  • No Dog meat or cat meat
  • No boilies
  • No Trout Pellets
  • No Hempseed, seed baits and nuts
  • No Macaroni Cheese
  • No floating baits
  • No floating poles
  • No spinning, or live baiting
  • No Groundbait
  • No Joker / Blood worm
  • No Method feeders or fixed bolt rigs
  • No Elastication on any feeder rig
  • No Braided mainline and hook lengths
  • No free lining, all lines must have a float attached
  • Fishing from permanent pegs only

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

wow I just read these and realised "no Method feeders" I have fished the method virtually every time I go there.

greenie62

Reaction score
This list looks like an amalgam of the last 4 fisheries I've been at. The no dog/cat food caused some confusion until it was pointed out that dog/cat biscuits are OK 'cos they're not food!:rolleyes:
- oh - as long as they aren't fished floating!

No Macaroni Cheese

There must be a story behind this - I didn't know Mac Cheese was a bait!

Go on - tell us the fishery - they can't be shy!;)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I don't disagree with any of them. They all seem to put the fish and water quality first. I'm surprised luncheon meat and corn are not on the list.
I think the owner could condense the list as it appears some people get bored after reading the first 14 rules innit Benny..:eek:mg:

naxian62

Reaction score
It sounds like the owner doesn't really want you fishing there !!

Yeah, hate that no surface thing,................ on a carp fishery ?

law

Reaction score
The no boilies and pellet is becoming more and more common.
I was told that this is due to the excessive amount of oxygen used to break them down, so if there is no other form of oxygenation in the water, one can see why.

What's the story behind no method feeders?

Terry D

Reaction score
All lines to have a float attached makes it a tad difficult to fish the feeder doesn't it!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My view is that it is their fishery so if I don't agree with their rules then I simply find somewhere else to fish . . . . . . like my local rivers where there are no such fastidious rules.

That said, a list of rules like that does highlight just how easy our fishing has become, doesn't it?

mick b

Reaction score
Nothing there I would disagree with, actually Ive fished waters that have more rules than this example.

On one water I fish the owner has asked one really messy angler to spread out a groundsheet and fish from the middle of it, and when he leaves to roll it up and take all the scattered bait and groundbait, sandwich crusts etc back home with him.

On another the owners house overlooks one entire section and there is a specific rule that you can roam the section but not estabish a fixed position with a chair and brolly.

On both the above it is the anglers choice if he wishes to comply with the owners request or fish elsewhere.

Simples........

john step

Reaction score
A few OF us friends have a rented reservoir with great fishing. We are all sensible. THERE ARE NO RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Nothing out of the ordinary really Benny, these are pretty much standard at most commercial pools (there's one in Halesowen that bans the use of bread as a bait:confused:).

I suspect if you fish a venue regularly and know the owner or bailiff some of these may be relaxed. I have fished with groundbait, tiger nuts, hemp and floating crust on a pool with the owners permission in an attempt to move some Carp to a larger pool. I would not have considered using these baits if other anglers had been present.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I don't disagree with any of them. They all seem to put the fish and water quality first. I'm surprised luncheon meat and corn are not on the list.
I think the owner could condense the list as it appears some people get bored after reading the first 14 rules innit Benny..:eek:mg:

Ha ha I am kind of the bad boy of fishing a bit like Brando in "on the waterfront".

Meat is on the list but hookbait only I think , lets have another read.

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:26 ----------

There is an additional list on site that says meat as hook bait only , I agree the aim is to maintain water quality

---------- Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:27 ----------

I asked its to prevent damage to birdlife.

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

This list looks like an amalgam of the last 4 fisheries I've been at. The no dog/cat food caused some confusion until it was pointed out that dog/cat biscuits are OK 'cos they're not food!:rolleyes:
- oh - as long as they aren't fished floating!

There must be a story behind this - I didn't know Mac Cheese was a bait!

Go on - tell us the fishery - they can't be shy!;)

Pretty much the same as others I agree , I was at whiteacres once and my lad threw a load of mini boilies in but we didn't realise they floated , the carp went nuts for them and were avidly taking them off the surface but , we thought "no surface fishing" In the end we thought sod it , too much to resist and had a crafty freeline, turned out it was perfectly legal Doh !

I'll pm you the fishery if you want , I don't want to give the impression its not well run the owner works very hard and I have had a lot of very pleasent days there.

---------- Post added at 18:50 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------

Like I said to protect the bird life but I am not convinced , Furnace Mill , where I also fish allows even the floating pole , but use someone else's pellets and they go nuts.

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

The no boilies and pellet is becoming more and more common.
I was told that this is due to the excessive amount of oxygen used to break them down, so if there is no other form of oxygenation in the water, one can see why.

What's the story behind no method feeders?

The suggestion seems to be its a bolt rig as in "no method feeders or fixed rigs" I am sure mine are "safe".

---------- Post added at 19:00 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

All lines to have a float attached makes it a tad difficult to fish the feeder doesn't it!

Presumably freelining causes a problem , no idea what that might be , I have "tried" muppet fishing where you stick a freelined bait on the end of the pole and just put your end of the pole in and wait for the laccy to pull out , it works a treat.

Another rule broken :(

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

My view is that it is their fishery so if I don't agree with their rules then I simply find somewhere else to fish . . . . . . like my local rivers where there are no such fastidious rules.

That said, a list of rules like that does highlight just how easy our fishing has become, doesn't it?

I agree , if you don't like it don't fish but you do lose track sometimes , or make assumptions.

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

No problems for me.
Other than the hemp ban.
Why?

Wasn't hemp banned years ago as it was supposed to drug the fish ?

nicepix

Reaction score
I think that extensive rules such as these are there to protect the fishery because the water is over fished.

There are basically two ways to protect the fishery; restrict the number of anglers or impose regulations on methods that might impact on the water quality or fish welfare. The owner has chosen the option least likely to impact on his wallet.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I agree with all of those rules actually, protection of the fish is paramount on any good fishery, or should be!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Is this water called the NO water ???

Jesus Christ he forgot to put NO Anglers on the list.

This is a fishery owner that doesn't like anglers catching his fish.

Don't agree with the barbless hook only, worst things every, seen more damage to fish with these hooks, and i know waters that have banned barbless hooks.

Does this water have its own tackle shop ?? if so, don't tell me, he sells the only baits you can use.

Sounds like a water that would be better off filling it in, and using it as a car park:D

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Is this water called the NO water ???

Jesus Christ he forgot to put NO Anglers on the list.

This is a fishery owner that doesn't like anglers catching his fish.

Don't agree with the barbless hook only, worst things every, seen more damage to fish with these hooks, and i know waters that have banned barbless hooks.

Does this water have its own tackle shop ?? if so, don't tell me, he sells the only baits you can use.

Sounds like a water that would be better off filling it in, and using it as a car park:D

It's a very well run complex, these rules are fairly standard amongst fisheries, maybe it's a lowest common denominator set of rules to cope with inexperienced anglers , it is a pleasant place to spend a day.

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

Yes you can take your own bait

Last edited: